924 replies to this topic

#681 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

It's longer for a player who is older.  Dubinsky's contract ends when he is just turning 35.  Zajac's deal ends when he is just turning 36.  I think both will end up pretty awfully, actually.

By the time Zajac's deal is over, the cap will probably be somewhere around 80-85 million.

Also, Dubinsky is not as good as Zajac now and plays a physical game. We know how those players age

#682 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,036 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

Also, Dubinsky is not as good as Zajac now and plays a physical game. We know how those players age

Exactly. It's apples vs. oranges to an extent, but how this deal isn't being torn apart like Zajac's was is beyond me.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#683 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Exactly. It's apples vs. oranges to an extent, but how this deal isn't being torn apart like Zajac's was is beyond me.

Timing.  Zajac's deal, IIRC, was the first contract announced out of the lockout, or at least the first major one.  Dubinsky's contract comes at the end of Free Agent Frenzy.

Mantzas:  If the cap is at $80 million, the Zajac deal is horrendous at its conclusion.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#684 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

1st line center money for a center who isn't a superstar/elite point-getter.  That's a lot of money to be being a guy who is slotted to be a number 2 or 3.

I'll say it again, that isn't 1st line center money.  Grabovski got 5M per.  Dave Bolland got 5M per.  Toews got 10.  Now that the front-loaded thing is gone, we'll see salaries return to normal, and that means top centers making $7M to $8M.

#685 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Morrow signs one year deal with Bolts

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#686 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Timing. Zajac's deal, IIRC, was the first contract announced out of the lockout, or at least the first major one. Dubinsky's contract comes at the end of Free Agent Frenzy.

Mantzas: If the cap is at $80 million, the Zajac deal is horrendous at its conclusion.

How so? Would like the rationale or hypothesis on this?
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#687 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

I'll say it again, that isn't 1st line center money. Grabovski got 5M per. Dave Bolland got 5M per. Toews got 10. Now that the front-loaded thing is gone, we'll see salaries return to normal, and that means top centers making $7M to $8M.

Stamkos will get $10 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#688 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

Stamkos will get $10 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he'll get more than that to keep him away from FA. I think he's comparable with Toews at worse and you could make an excellent argument he's better. And if he gets there somebody will probably offer him 12 or something up there

Edited by DH26, 11 July 2014 - 05:51 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#689 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

he'll get more than that to keep him away from FA. I think he's comparable with Toews at worse and you could make an excellent argument he's better. And if he gets there somebody will probably offer him 12 or something up there

Stamkos will be 26 when his current deal is up. You can probably get no better than 50/50 odds for the next six years that he'll score 50 or more goals in each of those years unless there's an unforeseen drop in his play. He started playing at 18 and is more than a point per game player already. He's better than both Kane and Toews. Then you add in the fact that they won't have another UFA to retain that could demand a twin salary like Kane to Toews, and he will easily get $12 million. If Tampa were allowed to, they'd probably offer him and eight year $90 million extension right now.

In all likelihood, Tavares is also going to break $10 million AAV when his time comes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#690 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Tavares and Stamkos will break $10M.  I am talking more about guys like Krejci and Stepan and so forth - guys closer to Zajac's level of play.

#691 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:53 AM

Tavares and Stamkos will break $10M.  I am talking more about guys like Krejci and Stepan and so forth - guys closer to Zajac's level of play.

Comparing Zajac with Krejci and Stepan. woah.  

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#692 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

Why is that a 'woah'?

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#693 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

why is that woah at all? Derek Stepan had 57 points, he's not exactly Sidney Crosby. Zajac had 48 on a team that can't score and ya know defense and corsi and all that fun/better stuff 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#694 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Well, they are closer to Zajac's level of play than Tavares/Stamkos...which is what he said.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#695 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

I was under the assumption that the board general opinion undervalues Zajac  I wasn't dogging him.   He's a great player and I don't think his contract is going to hurt us.  Even if his production takes a complete nose dive in his age 34 and 35 years, I don't think he'll be a liability.  

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#696 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

zajac's defensive play really makes up for him not putting up as many points as we all wish he would but i have a good feeling his numbers will be high this season
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#697 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Timing.  Zajac's deal, IIRC, was the first contract announced out of the lockout, or at least the first major one.  Dubinsky's contract comes at the end of Free Agent Frenzy.

Mantzas:  If the cap is at $80 million, the Zajac deal is horrendous at its conclusion.

If the cap is at 80 million by Zajac's 6-8th year(s) you're paying 7% of it to a 3rd line center.  Not the end of the world

#698 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

zajac's defensive play really makes up for him not putting up as many points as we all wish he would but i have a good feeling his numbers will be high this season

FWIW, Zajac scored 11 goals and added 16 assists in his final 32 GP last season, and that includes two four-game pointless streaks.  Hoping it's a sign of things to come (Zajac being a 60-65 point player again). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#699 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

if that line stays healthy i could definently see zajac putting up 60 points this year.. i hope jagr doesnt start to decline they were strong together
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#700 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

Anyone watching games knows that his defensive play is not the only reason Zajac numbers are low. His lack of finishing is a legit reason. He's getting plenty of chances. Just can't put it in

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users