924 replies to this topic

#701 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Anyone watching games knows that his defensive play is not the only reason Zajac numbers are low. His lack of finishing is a legit reason. He's getting plenty of chances. Just can't put it in

Can't ignore this. I think we all can recall just how many open nets he managed to miss.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#702 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Can't ignore this. I think we all can recall just how many open nets he managed to miss.

thats the main reason why he'll never be a real #1 center to me. Yeah he's good defensively but real top center are usually excellent on both sides.

www.SterioDesign.com

#703 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Zajac should have easily potted 25 plus last season. The man gets so many chances.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#704 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

Zajac should have easily potted 25 plus last season. The man gets so many chances.

Playing with a generational talent like Jagr will do that for you.

Man if he was even slightly proficient at finishing he probably could've had a 30 goal year by now.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#705 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

By the time Zajac's deal is over, the cap will probably be somewhere around 80-85 million.

Also, Dubinsky is not as good as Zajac now and plays a physical game. We know how those players age

I'd say they're pretty comparable. Both are two-way checking pivots who can play any situation. Both are very strong on faceoffs. Each are good forecheckers. Dubinsky plays a more physical style while Zajac is a little more finesse. Both are good penalty killers. Neither will score a ton of goals but are capable of 15-20 goals and 50-55 points. Factor in intangibles they bring. Dubinsky probably will be named the new Columbus captain. Zajac is one of the Devils team leaders. My thought process for the money they earn, of course they're overpaid. However, given the market where one-dimensional UFA's are getting similar money, I prefer what they bring.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#706 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

Well the question is would you compare Stasny and Zajac and put them on the same level??  I think they are pretty close as players and we are paying much less for Zajac.  Maybe Stasny brings a little bit more finish, scoring and earns that number 1 center role moreso, but I would agree that Stepan and Krecji are also good comparisons to Zajac though.  I'd rank all four of these centers ahead of Dubinsky.  

I agree with Derek21 that these centers are well worth what teams are paying for them, minus Dubinsky and Stepan perhaps.  Hopefully Stepan asks for Dubinsky money when his time comes (soon?).  

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#707 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

I hope zajac can start to figure out how to finish a little more often this year I feel like the talent is there but theres something just short
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#708 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

Because you can't read?  You asked a blanket question about how can people question scouts.  You know how I can?  Because the Devils have an absolute garbage record at drafting physical D in the last 15 years.  Basically every pick has been a bust, with some of them graduating to being fringe NHLers.  Do the Devils overvalue physicality?  I don't know, because I don't know their methods, but I would assume yes.

Sometimes people lose the whole picture by being too close to it, and scouting is one of the professions where I imagine this happens all the time.  Good scouting departments have to be constantly questioning their assumptions about what makes a good player.  So yeah, I don't know what goes on at the rink in Albany, and I'm not privy to player/scout interviews, but more information can easily be bad when that information misleads or is thought to be important when it isn't.

Is there a good comparative analysis of draft success out there? Specifically, something that would allow one to compare team-by-team success during certain periods, but also to compare same team success across different periods?

The reason I bring this up is that I would argue, just from my subjective POV, that the Devils drafting history of the past 15 years is much worse than just with physical def. Compared to the '90s it is almost as if we have a completely different GM with a completely difficerent scout support system. To me this indicates that something has changed and not for the better. OTOH, I'd like to really see just how much better or worse we are rather than going on my subjective assessment.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#709 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

Is there a good comparative analysis of draft success out there? Specifically, something that would allow one to compare team-by-team success during certain periods, but also to compare same team success across different periods?

The reason I bring this up is that I would argue, just from my subjective POV, that the Devils drafting history of the past 15 years is much worse than just with physical def. Compared to the '90s it is almost as if we have a completely different GM with a completely difficerent scout support system. To me this indicates that something has changed and not for the better. OTOH, I'd like to really see just how much better or worse we are rather than going on my subjective assessment.

For the first part, I'd assume there must be something out there. Otherwise, it would take someone going draft by draft listing players that played a certain number of NHL games, therefore deeming them successful picks.

My theory on the drafting change is just that other teams caught up to Lou and Conte's drafting techniques. They were supposedly ahead of the curve in the 90's, plus they'd find guys like Rafalski undrafted. Then, it just seemed like they wouldn't get those hidden gems anymore.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#710 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Here's one: http://canucksarmy.c...ing-departments

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#711 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Leafs sign Booth for 1.1mil

https://twitter.com/...669368439586816

#712 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Leafs sign Booth for 1.1mil

https://twitter.com/...669368439586816

Can't imagine that this doesn't work out well for them. Even if he only posts 30 points next year, $1.1M is a bargain.

#713 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Do you think Lou is going to try to extend Greene before the start of the season? Greene is a UFA after this year.

#714 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Do you think Lou is going to try to extend Greene before the start of the season? Greene is a UFA after this year.

he had already said that he was going to be reaching out to him
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#715 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,329 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

@DarrenDreger: Ryan O'Rielly agrees to 2 yr deal. $ 5.8 and $6.2
Rags also signed Zuccarello to a 1 year deal and Kreider to a 2 year deal.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#716 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Zuccarello is going to get PAID next year.  

Standard bridge deal for Kreider.  

6mm also isn't terrible for RoR

Edited by Devilsfan118, 23 July 2014 - 09:46 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

#717 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Seems like Zuccarello could've gotten move than 3.5 mil. Seems like a bit of a team friendly deal. God dammit, squeeze the Rags for all they're worth.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#718 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,329 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

If Zuccarello hits the market next year, we should get in on that.

#719 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

Zuccarello is going to get PAID next year.  

Standard bridge deal for Kreider.  

6mm also isn't terrible for RoR

Yeah, this is a pretty head-scratching move by Sather.  Obviously we have no idea how negotiations went and what Zuccarello was asking for but you gotta think he would've accepted a 5/25 deal. If he produces at a similar rate to last year, 6+  per year doesn't sound unreasonable. I'm guessing Sather needed the cap space this year

#720 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,329 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, this is a pretty head-scratching move by Sather. Obviously we have no idea how negotiations went and what Zuccarello was asking for but you gotta think he would've accepted a 5/25 deal. If he produces at a similar rate to last year, 6+ per year doesn't sound unreasonable. I'm guessing Sather needed the cap space this year

A Rags fan buddy of mine told me Zuccarello was looking for $4.5 on a multi-year deal. He'll get 5 easy if he hits the market off a big year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users