2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

I thought the rangers already re signed him
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#722 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

I thought the rangers already re signed him

1 yr deal

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#723 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

dumb move by Zucc, need to strike while you had a strong SC showing. guys get ACLs and concussions all the time

they could have structured a multiyear deal with built in cap relief for 2014, correct???

Edited by EdgeControl, 23 July 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#724 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

On nhl.com, there's "Rosen's Mailbag" where Dan Rosen answers a few questions about the Devils (quite favorably btw):

Which team in the East will make the largest jump in the standings? -- @aketts15

My eyes are on the New Jersey Devils to make the Stanley Cup Playoffs. They needed offense after finishing 27th in goals per game (2.40) last season. They got it by signing Mike Cammalleri and Martin Havlat. Cammalleri could be the Devils' first 30-goal scorer since Ilya Kovalchuk and Zach Parise. Havlat is a health risk, but it's a one-year contract and the Devils are uniting him with countrymen Patrik Elias, Jaromir Jagr and Marek Zidlicky. New Jersey's offense should be better. A lot hinges on the continued development of their young defensemen, particularly Adam Larsson, Jon Merrill and Eric Gelinas. Cory Schneider has to be the No. 1 goalie everyone has long thought he can be.

The Devils are overloaded with forwards. Who can be moved to make room for youth? -- @C_Diercks

The Devils have depth up front. Depth is essential to winning. They have a couple of young forwards who might be ready for bigger roles (Reid Boucher and Stephane Matteau), but why trade away depth just to give a young guy a chance? Those players will get their chance through injuries and/or if their play in the American Hockey League warrants it. No reason to force it when you're a cap-compliant team with depth.

He also mentions though, "You can make the case that the Devils (I already made that case), Washington Capitals and New York Islanders got better, but they won't all jump the Rangers."

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#725 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Zuccas agent confirmed in norwegian media that they asked for $4,5M. He is hoping to remain in NY and they are working on a longer term deal that they hope to sign in january. 

Posted Image

#726 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

Yeah, this is a pretty head-scratching move by Sather.  Obviously we have no idea how negotiations went and what Zuccarello was asking for but you gotta think he would've accepted a 5/25 deal. If he produces at a similar rate to last year, 6+  per year doesn't sound unreasonable. I'm guessing Sather needed the cap space this year

They have zero room for such a long-term commitment. Zuccarello got over a $2 million raise off 1 good year. He got fair value and helped the team out. If that was the Devils, it would get praised. As it stands, the Rangers have potential UFA's Staal, Zuccarello and Brassard pending arbitration. Plus must bump up Stepan and Hagelin, whose bridge deals end. The organization faces challenging decisions ahead.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#727 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

Brassard gets 5ys, $25 to stay with the Rangers... yikes.

With that, according to capgeek, the Rags now have a whole $1.3 in cap space.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#728 SegaDevil

SegaDevil

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Came here to post about Brassard.

$5 million? A year? For five years? Really? For what!?!?

#729 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

Lmfao that's an awful deal. Brassard's a nice player, but not that nice.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#730 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,748 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Rangers are in a real tough spot with centers, because they don't have any in their organization, and while they have some interesting prospects, I don't think any are bringing back a center.  So it's either sign Brassard long-term or gamble on a UFA.  The UFA centers this coming year are Spezza, Vermette, Krejci, Fisher, B. Richards.  I can't imagine Krejci makes it to 7/1/2015, and that's a pretty dire list otherwise.

NJ will likely be in this spot in 2 years and it will not be pleasant.

EDIT:  Forgot about J.T. Miller, but I'm not sure how they feel about him.

Edited by Triumph, 27 July 2014 - 04:25 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#731 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

He'll get bought out after 2 or 3 poor years.  Lou is making the Rangers look bad.  I guess they're banking on him turning into a 2nd line center.  I don't know if he's good enough or ever will be good enough to justify this deal.  This deal also makes him very hard to trade if he doesn't pan out to being worth that much.  I just don't see how the Rangers come close to last seasons performance.  I just don't see it with their roster.  They've added Glass, Stempniak, Lombardi, then retained Zucs, Brassard, and Kreider.   Unless Brassard and Zucs take the next steps in their developments, I don't see them coming as close as they did this past season.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#732 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,748 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

They also front-loaded the contract as much as possible which suggests they will trade him in 3 years.

#733 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

They're 100% win now, this is their 2 year window, that's why they can't wait on miller to grow into a second line center.

5 mil is perfectly fine for a second line center, but I'm not going to argue that brassard is that.

#734 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,748 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

$5M is about the going rate for 2nd/3rd line centers.  Weiss, Bolland, now Brassard.  Basically if you play center and work a PP and are 30 years old or younger you will make 4.5M in UFA if you get a multi-year deal.

#735 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:18 PM

They also front-loaded the contract as much as possible which suggests they will trade him in 3 years.

Yeah, but doesn't the cap hit remain the same even if the contract is front-loaded?  It will still be a 5m hit that won't change right?  I don't see how that makes him any easier to trade. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#736 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Yeah, but doesn't the cap hit remain the same even if the contract is front-loaded?  It will still be a 5m hit that won't change right?  I don't see how that makes him any easier to trade. 

It makes him easier to trade for a team with shallow pockets. Having a guy play for you for a $5 million cap hit while only getting paid say 3 or 4 million isnt bad.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#737 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

I hate it. But that's the market. Rather than chance it with him going UFA like Staal, Zuccarello and St. Louis, Slats opted to lock him up. I don't like where the league's headed. Put together a post on Brassard, the Rangers uncertain future and the league.

Tri's 100 percent correct on their center situation. By next summer, they'll have 11 million tied into Stepan and Brassard.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#738 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

He'll get bought out after 2 or 3 poor years.  Lou is making the Rangers look bad.  I guess they're banking on him turning into a 2nd line center.  I don't know if he's good enough or ever will be good enough to justify this deal.  This deal also makes him very hard to trade if he doesn't pan out to being worth that much.  I just don't see how the Rangers come close to last seasons performance.  I just don't see it with their roster.  They've added Glass, Stempniak, Lombardi, then retained Zucs, Brassard, and Kreider.   Unless Brassard and Zucs take the next steps in their developments, I don't see them coming as close as they did this past season.

Lou has done similar on vets. I am not a fan of long-term contracts and hate NTC's. I will say the $4 he gave Henrique looks like a bargain. Especially if he can continue to light the lamp. Stepan will get $6 by comparison next summer. In today's NHL, there's more emphasis on younger players contributing. This year, the pressure is on Miller or Lindberg to fill a void. The Devils have locked in on Merrill, Larson and Gelinas to hold up their D. At some point, you either sink or swim.

#739 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,748 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

The problem with Brassard isn't age - he'll be 31 at the end of this contract.  It's that he might not be that good.  Lou has made many mistakes in free agency but one of the things he's pretty good at is avoiding big contracts to soft-minute scorers who don't do anything else well.

#740 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,114 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

Seeing the same things in the NHL and the NBA. The secondary players are getting rich while the top top end talent are getting screwed (or an easier way of saying it...they aren't getting what they should). These contracts are becoming the norm for players like Brassard but everyone is shocked when Kane and Toews get their $10 million contracts.

Looking back to when the cap was introduced and before that in the late 90s, the best players aren't getting paid more at all. Everyone else is though. An If you look at the NBA contracts signed from 1996-1998, you'll see the exact same things.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users