Photo

Can we get some line speculation going here please?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#21 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

I'll do you one better and jump off the roof of mine.

I live 25 floors up. I think I make the biggest splat. Jerk. :P

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#22 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

I could see Wheeler coming here before Kane. He wouldn't require as much at least. Send Ryder, a high pick, and one of our young defenseman. Boom, we have another winger who can pot 30 goals.

On the contrary- Wheeler wouldn't be a cheap expenditure. He's a very good player. He'd cost a premium.

Edited by MadDog2020, 05 July 2014 - 07:26 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#23 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

If you are doing lines without Gionta being penciled in for 82 games (if healthy), you aren't being realistic.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,619 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

Okay, my shot:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr

Has to be this at the get-go unless it just doesn't work in practice.  Jagr will get Cammalleri 30 goals if they both stay healthy.

Ruutu-Elias-Havlat

I don't love this, but I don't see much choice off the jump.  I don't like Clowe with Havlat.  I don't like Clowe with Elias, either.

Clowe-Henrique-Ryder

Clowe Ryder worked until it didn't, and these guys need someone with speed playing with them.  I liked Clowe with Brunner but I think they will keep Ryder and let Brunner go wherever he ends up.

Zubrus-Gionta-Bernier

Bernier'll probably start out the opening night RW, but he could easily be replaced by someone else.  Zubrus jumps in whenever anyone in the top 9 gets hurt.

EX:  Josefson, Sislo

Josefson starts out in the press box if he's even on the team - he might still sign elsewhere.  Sislo makes for a good 14th forward to start the year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#25 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Our lineup should be

Cammy-Zajac-Jagr

Havlat-Henrique-Elias

Ruutu-Zubrus-Brunner

Bernier-Josefson-Gionta

(get rid of ryder)

If we have injury we can put brunner on a second line and or call up Boucher/Matteau

#26 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Okay, my shot:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr

Has to be this at the get-go unless it just doesn't work in practice.  Jagr will get Cammalleri 30 goals if they both stay healthy.

Ruutu-Elias-Havlat

I don't love this, but I don't see much choice off the jump.  I don't like Clowe with Havlat.  I don't like Clowe with Elias, either.

Clowe-Henrique-Ryder

Clowe Ryder worked until it didn't, and these guys need someone with speed playing with them.  I liked Clowe with Brunner but I think they will keep Ryder and let Brunner go wherever he ends up.

Zubrus-Gionta-Bernier

Bernier'll probably start out the opening night RW, but he could easily be replaced by someone else.  Zubrus jumps in whenever anyone in the top 9 gets hurt.

EX:  Josefson, Sislo

Josefson starts out in the press box if he's even on the team - he might still sign elsewhere.  Sislo makes for a good 14th forward to start the year.

Hard to argue with this. Maybe a good camp by Sislo or Josefson give them a shot over Bernier. Will be disappointed if it isn't clear to the coaching staff where Zubrus should begin the season. But like you said, any injuries and I expect him up in the top lines.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#27 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

They probably should give Josefson a long look this season for a number of reasons. It's time to decide whether they think he's worth keeping around. The Devils don't think he's ready to be a full-time NHL player yet, but they also realize he's probably too valuable to lose via waivers. I don't think they are going to waste another year from him like they did last year, keeping him with the big club, while hardly giving him playing time. It really would not make sense. It's also pretty scary to think about our aging group of forwards. It's not just Jagr, Elias, and Zubrus. Other than Henrique, I think our only forwards under 30 are Zajac, Bernier, and Brunner (all of whom are 28-29). Young talent isn't easy to come by, either. We might as well experiment with the younger players in the system who could probably do just as good of a job as some of the veterans. Who cares if some mistakes are made along the way if these are the players who may make up the core forwards in the future.

#28 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

the devils forwards have age yes, but it is conceivable that next year (15-16), outside of greene who will only be 33, the entire defense will be 25 or younger. triumph once told me there was no way the devils would ever have this defense, but it is far from inconceivable:

greene-larsson

gelinas-merrill

severson-santini

imagining that all of them reach their potential (that doesn't mean they're all stars - just that they're all solid nhl'ers with their strengths being strengths), that's a real good home grown defense.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#29 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr

Well, duh. If you find a good liney for Greene (Merrill preferrably) and Jagr doesn't drop off too much they could be 60%+ CF. And score goalz.

Henrique-Elias-Havlat

I don't like Henrique as a center, was much more productive as Elias' wing.

Clowe-Josefson-Brunner

Hey one can dream. I'm imagining that Ryder has more cache around the league and is traded over Brunner. 

Ruutu-Gionta-Zubrus

Whatever.

Ex: Bernier, Sislo.

Greene-Merrill

Salvador-Zidlicky

Gelinas-Larsson

Harrold

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#30 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Still way early but my guess at the opening night:

Cammalleri-zajac-jagr
Everyone and their mother can see this one.

Clowe-henrique-zubrus
This is the type of line Pete can put against an opponents' top line and hope to come out better than even, and allows the jagr and Elias lines to face easier competition. Everyone likes henrique on wing but we just don't have he center depth to make that move yet.

Havlat-Elias-Ryder
If everything goes right that's some quality offensive skill and if anyone can get Ryder going it's Elias. I can also see Ryder and clowe switching here and shifting havlat to the rw.

Ruutu-gionta-bernier/Brunner
If gionta is breathing, he's playing. With bernier in this line I can see Pete matching these guys against better quality like he's done with cbgb in the past.

Extra: josefson

Greene-Merrill
Salvador-zidlicky
Gelinas-Larsson.

Pete has used Merrill on the right and trusted him enough and Greene should be a perfect guy to bring him along. Try to capture the magic that was the gelinas-Larsson pair mid season last year. Late game situations you can switch around gelinas and Salvador as needed to protect a lead or try to get a goal.

#31 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

Cammalleri Zajac Jagr
Havlat Elias Brunner
Clowe Henrique Ryder
Ruutu Gionta Zubrus

believe-zubrus.jpg

#32 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

They didn't sign Gionta and Bernier to not play them. Josefson likely will be in Albany and one other guy (Ryder? Brunner? Both?) will probably be traded.

So I'd say:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr
Havlat-Elias-Henrique
Clowe- ?- Ruutu
Bernier-Gionta-Zubrus

The ? Could be the center they pick up by trading Ryder and Brunner. Or Zubrus can center Line #3 and someone else can fill the fourth line (Brunner if not traded, or maybe Matteu).

#33 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

They didn't sign Gionta and Bernier to not play them. Josefson likely will be in Albany and one other guy (Ryder? Brunner? Both?) will probably be traded.

So I'd say:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr
Havlat-Elias-Henrique
Clowe- ?- Ruutu
Bernier-Gionta-Zubrus

The ? Could be the center they pick up by trading Ryder and Brunner. Or Zubrus can center Line #3 and someone else can fill the fourth line (Brunner if not traded, or maybe Matteu).

if you're going that route, don't rule out that we could pick up Roy with the cap we save by trading Ryder for like a pick or whatever.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#34 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Cammalleri   Henrique   Ryder

Brunner        Zajac        Jagr

Clowe           Elias         Havlat

Ruutu          Gionta       Zubrus

Bernier

#35 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:15 AM

So I'd say:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr
Havlat-Elias-Henrique
Clowe- ?- Ruutu
Bernier-Gionta-Zubrus

Bernier will see himself scratched a good amount if he doesn't play defense.  I'd say you can slot Josefson in the 3rd line center spot.  This is his make or break year.  Josefson would get claimed on waivers if you send him down.  

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#36 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Havlat should play with Elias until he proves he can't. Cammalleri will play with Zajac and Jagr.

Jagr and Ruutu had great chemistry during the short time they were together. I'd like to see them continue together. Cammalleri doesnt fit that cycling grinder style.

My lines:

Ruutu  Zajac  Jagr

Cammalleri Elias Havlat

Clowe  Henrique Ryder

Zubrus  Josefson  Bernier

Edited by devlman, 08 July 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#37 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

Cammalleri Zajac Jagr

Elias Henrique Havlat

then who the fvck knows

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#38 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

Jagr and Ruutu had great chemistry during the short time they were together. I'd like to see them continue together. Cammalleri doesnt fit that cycling grinder style.

My lines:

Ruutu  Zajac  Jagr

Cammalleri Elias Havlat

Clowe  Henrique Ryder

Zubrus  Josefson  Bernier

I could see being used.  I'd actually dig this if you're going to play Henrique at center. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#39 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

I could see being used.  I'd actually dig this if you're going to play Henrique at center. 

Its not bad as long as the 3rd line is getting decent minutes. I'd hate to waste Henrique on a line that was getting less than 1st or 2nd line type minutes.

#40 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

I watched all the goals from 13-14 for Cammo and Jagr. My concern with putting them on the same line is that they both typically get their goals from the same side of the ice. Only big difference is that Cammo scores a bit more from the left circle and Jagr gets some goals from the slot area. I think we should seriously look at Ryder at LW since he's a RH shot.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users