Photo

Can we get some line speculation going here please?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#61 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

Any line predictions that do not include Stephen gionta are just not worth reading. If the guy is alive then he will center the 4th line.

#62 Guadana

Guadana

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

bernier or youg jj-travis-old jj(becouse jaromir and zajac can do everything they need with street lamppost)

cammalleri-adam-ryder

brunner-elias-havlat

and big guy line clowe-zubrus-ruutu (12mln fourth line =-) )

(clowe may play in elias-line, and 4th line will not suffer)

we have a good deep this year

Edited by Guadana, 06 August 2014 - 10:40 AM.

best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#63 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

bernier or youg jj-travis-old jj(becouse jaromir and zajac can do everything they need with street lamppost)

cammalleri-adam-ryder

brunner-elias-havlat

and big guy line clowe-zubrus-ruutu (12mln fourth line =-) )

(clowe may play in elias-line, and 4th line will not suffer)

we have a good deep this year

Post of the Year

#64 Guadana

Guadana

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

Post of the Year

you laugh at my joke or over my bad English?

about not funny things

our offensive line is the most high-priced offensive line in the league

last year we was one of five teams who didn`t score 200

#65 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

you laugh at my joke or over my bad English?

about not funny things

our offensive line is the most high-priced offensive line in the league

last year we was one of five teams who didn`t score 200

I guess a little of both.  I guess it is the language barrier and maybe that line has a sort of meaning where you are from but while I got the gist of what you meant, that phrase doesn't make much sense lol.

But in seriousness why Bernier on the top line?  Josefson I can maybe see, but I don't get Bernier (and I think I'm one of the few people who thinks he was not the worst on his line but Gionta is/was.)

Edited by DevsMan84, 06 August 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#66 Unthinkable

Unthinkable

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Any line predictions that do not include Stephen gionta are just not worth reading. If the guy is alive then he will center the 4th line.

Too many forwards for everyone to return. Would much rather see Carter who is as much a Deboer guy as Gionta is get fourth line centering duties as he brings more to the team. One way or another, players from last seasons regular season roster will fall victim to the numbers game.

Edited by Unthinkable, 06 August 2014 - 11:41 AM.

"Look Hollom, its leadership they want. Strength. Now you find that within yourself and you will earn their respect. With that respect, true discipline goes by the board." -Captain Jack Aubrey

"Right, lads. Now I know there's not a faint heart among you. I know you're as anxious as I am to get into close action. But we must bring 'em right up beside us before we spring this trap. That will test our nerve. And discipline will count just as much as courage. The Acheron is a tough nut to crack. More then twice our guns. More then twice our numbers. And they will sell their lives dearly." -Capt. Jack Aubrey

#67 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Too many forwards for everyone to return. Would much rather see Carter who is as much a Deboer guy as Gionta is get fourth line centering duties as he brings more to the team. One way or another, players from last seasons regular season roster will fall victim to the numbers game.

fair enough, but if this is an exercise in predicting what the lines will be (and not what we hope for), IMO gionta is 99.9% to start the season as the 4th line center. Pete loves him too much to cut/bench him.

#68 Guadana

Guadana

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

I guess a little of both.  I guess it is the language barrier and maybe that line has a sort of meaning where you are from but while I got the gist of what you meant, that phrase doesn't make much sense lol.

But in seriousness why Bernier on the top line?  Josefson I can maybe see, but I don't get Bernier (and I think I'm one of the few people who thinks he was not the worst on his line but Gionta is/was.)

because young jj will try too play in first line, as standart Viking in our team he will cant do his job well(so many finn or sweden players who did not work to start playing in our squad), but team will play well, bald pete will not want to change the lines that work  and put bernier with his new contract in one new hole that has. (bernier can screen goalies that zajac and jaro needs)

for real it`s just imagination and some try to make balance all four lines (i dont think that cammalleri and jaromir will play well rogether because they score from same places)

Edited by Guadana, 06 August 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#69 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

fair enough, but if this is an exercise in predicting what the lines will be (and not what we hope for), IMO gionta is 99.9% to start the season as the 4th line center. Pete loves him too much to cut/bench him.

If that happens, he needs to be fired. This is the deepest group of forwards we've had in my memory. The 4th line is going to have to make some meaningful contributions, because our top 6 talent continues to leave a lot to be desired, especially since Jagr and Elias are each a year older. If Matteau, Boucher, and JJ are ready, they need to play over the old favorites.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#70 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

If that happens, he needs to be fired. This is the deepest group of forwards we've had in my memory. The 4th line is going to have to make some meaningful contributions, because our top 6 talent continues to leave a lot to be desired, especially since Jagr and Elias are each a year older. If Matteau, Boucher, and JJ are ready, they need to play over the old favorites.

Ridiculous.  First of all, you don't win and lose games with your 4th line.  Second, Boucher and Matteau have AHL eligibility left and they should be there instead of getting a 4th line role here.  Matteau only has this year left in the AHL, so he should stay down there unless he's getting top 9 minutes here.  Third, what happens in other areas is exponentially more important than who plays on a given night - coaches do a lot more than just put up a lineup then roll lines.

Gionta could play his way out of the lineup - and I know this is unlikely, but it *could* happen - but he'll be in there opening night, and I think he deserves to be.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#71 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

Cammalleri Zajac Jagr

Havlat Elias Brunner

Clowe Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta Zubrus

Bernier Josefson

Edited by Zubie#8, 07 August 2014 - 06:45 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#72 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

Ridiculous.  First of all, you don't win and lose games with your 4th line.  Second, Boucher and Matteau have AHL eligibility left and they should be there instead of getting a 4th line role here.  Matteau only has this year left in the AHL, so he should stay down there unless he's getting top 9 minutes here.  Third, what happens in other areas is exponentially more important than who plays on a given night - coaches do a lot more than just put up a lineup then roll lines.

Gionta could play his way out of the lineup - and I know this is unlikely, but it *could* happen - but he'll be in there opening night, and I think he deserves to be.

This team needs to roll 4 lines, and play all of them decent minutes. They can't expect Jagr to play the same minutes he played last year. The only way they have enough forward talent is if the 4th line is more like a traditional 3rd line, which means the kids will get minutes. I could see Boucher getting AHL minutes, but IMO Matteau is good enough to get top 9 minutes, or close to it. Even ignoring him, Gionta is not one of the top 12 forwards on this team. I've defended him in the past, but they absolutely need to move on. 

Gionta HAS played his way out of the lineup. Last couple years, there's been no one to replace him, unless you have some love for Tim Sestito. That's just not true anymore.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#73 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

Cammalleri Zajac Jagr

Elias Henrique Havlat

Clowe Zubrus Ryder

Ruutu Gionta Brunner

extra  Josefson Bernier

On the bottom two lines I am wondering how many of them are going to be here once the season starts.  You would think someone is going to be traded

#74 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

Cammalleri Zajac Jagr
Henrique Elias Havlat
Ruutu Josefson Ryder/Brunner
Clowe Carter Bernier

Extras: Gionta

Greene Larsson
Merrill Zidlicky
Gelinas Salvador

Extra: Harrold

I put Carter in the lineup despite him not being signed because I gotta think that the reason he still hasn't signed with anyone is that LL has told him that he's going to make room for him. I just can't think of any other reason for him to have not signed anywhere. He played well enough and there was enough chatter about teams being interested that I have to think he got at least one offer from another team.

#75 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

Cammalleri Zajac Jagr
Henrique Elias Havlat
Ruutu Josefson Ryder/Brunner
Clowe Carter Bernier

Extras: Gionta

Greene Larsson
Merrill Zidlicky
Gelinas Salvador

Extra: Harrold

I put Carter in the lineup despite him not being signed because I gotta think that the reason he still hasn't signed with anyone is that LL has told him that he's going to make room for him. I just can't think of any other reason for him to have not signed anywhere. He played well enough and there was enough chatter about teams being interested that I have to think he got at least one offer from another team.

you don't have zubrus - he's on the team - i cannot see him being the one punted to make room for carter.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#76 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

you don't have zubrus - he's on the team - i cannot see him being the one punted to make room for carter.

Or Bernier for that matter.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#77 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Or Bernier for that matter.

bernier was in his proposed lineup. my point was that the suggested lines aren't realistic because zubrus isn't part of the team in his world.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#78 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'd give up Ryder AND Brunner for, like a 2nd rounder.  Brunner and Zubrus? For a 2nd rounder?

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#79 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

bernier was in his proposed lineup. my point was that the suggested lines aren't realistic because zubrus isn't part of the team in his world.

right, what i'm saying is that it's even less realistic to expect Bernier to get a spot over Zubrus than it is Carter

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#80 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

This team needs to roll 4 lines, and play all of them decent minutes. They can't expect Jagr to play the same minutes he played last year. The only way they have enough forward talent is if the 4th line is more like a traditional 3rd line, which means the kids will get minutes. I could see Boucher getting AHL minutes, but IMO Matteau is good enough to get top 9 minutes, or close to it. Even ignoring him, Gionta is not one of the top 12 forwards on this team. I've defended him in the past, but they absolutely need to move on. 

Gionta HAS played his way out of the lineup. Last couple years, there's been no one to replace him, unless you have some love for Tim Sestito. That's just not true anymore.

Matteau didn't even reach a point every other game last year in the AHL, and it's not like he was snakebitten S%-wise either and he played on a team that wasn't snakebit too.  I like him and I think he will be an NHL player, but that isn't very good, and it's certainly not indicative of someone ready to be given 12-14 minutes on a team that has playoff aspirations.  This is especially true when you consider that he has one season of waiver ineligibility left, so the Devils have to be preparing to have him on the roster next year.  I realize you could easily say the same about Gionta, and I'm not a huge fan, but he did not have a bad season last year.  Gionta plays a stellar bit of low-event hockey.  He's not going to give your line a ton of offense, obviously, but defensively that line was quite good.  He fulfills a role.  Late in games when NJ is ahead he can be subbed in at RW for any of the Devils horrendous RWs.  

The larger point is that firing the coach over that is utterly ridiculous.

Edited by Triumph, 08 August 2014 - 11:09 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)