Photo

Significant FA's Remaining - Any Interest?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

This is pretty standard IME - the first wave of moves comes right away, then there is a period of silence for the July 4th weekend, then things heat back up a little bit more.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't take any of the free agents. I'd like someone like Winnik but the Devils have Ruutu already.  They've got enough players.  Let's drop the puck already.

Thank You, Buzz Killington.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#22 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

Did the league shut-down for the summer? There's been dick for news now for almost a week. I understand the holiday weekend, but c'mon...

As Triumph pointed out, this is fairly normal. The rush is over. The leverage is all with the teams now and there's no rush bar for the very small # of guys there may be bidding "wars" over.

Look at the past few years in July:

http://en.wikipedia....HL_transactions

After UFA Day, things still happen but at a much slower rate. A lot of teams also have their development camps coming up, so may want to see how their prospects are looking before committing another roster spot to an aged vet. 

I think this year is a little slower than the past two in terms of volume of movement, but its really nothing new. UFA Day is really a 1 - 1.5 day event at most then lots of execs take their vacations too. 

#23 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

As Triumph pointed out, this is fairly normal. The rush is over. The leverage is all with the teams now and there's no rush bar for the very small # of guys there may be bidding "wars" over.

Look at the past few years in July:

After UFA Day, things still happen but at a much slower rate. A lot of teams also have their development camps coming up, so may want to see how their prospects are looking before committing another roster spot to an aged vet. 

I think this year is a little slower than the past two in terms of volume of movement, but its really nothing new. UFA Day is really a 1 - 1.5 day event at most then lots of execs take their vacations too. 

(According to the wiki links you provided of which I'm not sure of their accuracy) Something is definitely different. 84 signings on day 1 is 20 more than the year before and 34 more than the year before that. Day 2 had 1.5 times as many signings as the year before and 3 times as many as the year before that. This year from days 3-7 of FA we have had about 17 signings. Last year we had 18 on 3-7 but what could be throwing people off here is that the year before that we had 32 signings on days 3-7. So it seems that an irregular amount of first and second day signings combined with a big drop on 3-7 from 2012's 32 signings is what is causing the feelings of abnormality.

2014:

Day 1: 84 signings

Day 2: 15 signings

Day 3: 8 signings

Day 4: 5 signings

Day 5: 0 signings

Day 6: 1 signing

Day 7: 3 signings (??)

2013:

Day 1: 64 signings
Day 2: 10 signings
Day 3: 2 signings
Day 4: 7 signings
Day 5: 1 signings
Day 6: 3 signing
Day 7: 5 signings

2012: 

Day 1: 50 signings

Day 2: 6 signings
Day 3: 11 signings
Day 4: 5 signings
Day 5: 9 signings
Day 6: 5 signing

Day 7: 2 signings

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#24 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

(According to the wiki links you provided of which I'm not sure of their accuracy) Something is definitely different. 84 signings on day 1 is 20 more than the year before and 34 more than the year before that. Day 2 had 1.5 times as many signings as the year before and 3 times as many as the year before that. This year from days 3-7 of FA we have had about 17 signings. Last year we had 18 on 3-7 but what could be throwing people off here is that the year before that we had 32 signings on days 3-7. So it seems that an irregular amount of first and second day signings combined with a big drop on 3-7 from 2012's 32 signings is what is causing the feelings of abnormality.

I'd argue that it's the 5 day discussion period is the cause for these earlier signings.  You stated the effects Neboors, and didn't really name a cause.   That time is invaluable for GMs to make preliminary offers and for agents and GMs to float numbers both ways.  This is how the free agent frenzy will be from now on it seems.  I like it, however I agree with Lou that the timing is bad as it does coincide with the draft.  I don't see why the draft can't be pushed back a little so GM's can focus on one thing at a time.  

Edited by RizzMB30, 07 July 2014 - 05:49 PM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,554 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

I'd argue that it's the 5 day discussion period is the cause for these earlier signings.  You stated the effects Neboors, and didn't really name a cause.   That time is invaluable for GMs to make preliminary offers and for agents and GMs to float numbers both ways.  This is how the free agent frenzy will be from now on it seems.  I like it, however I agree with Lou that the timing is bad as it does coincide with the draft.  I don't see why the draft can't be pushed back a little so GM's can focus on one thing at a time.  

You wouldn't want to push back the draft, then it might butt up against the Cup Finals.  I think it makes sense to push free agency forward to July 5 with the talking period beginning on June 30.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

Way to bore the sh!t out of this thread, Guys! Is there any way we can add some stats to this thread?

Edited by CarpathianForest, 07 July 2014 - 07:37 PM.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#27 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Way to bore the sh!t out of this thread, Guys! Is there any way we can add some stats to this thread?

triumph-batman_zps072d458b.jpg

www.SterioDesign.com

#28 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

^LOL SD.

You stated the effects Neboors, and didn't really name a cause.  

That's because I have no idea what the cause is and nor do I have a guess at it. Someone could convince me it was just by chance.

Edited by Neb00rs, 07 July 2014 - 09:00 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#29 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

Damn SD, that's pretty friggin' funny, nice.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#30 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

SD - that's really good. I have to think even tri will like that. he's never had an avatar on this board, but i think that might be worthy.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#31 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

Lmfao, SD that's hilarious.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#32 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,554 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

Okay that's pretty funny, but if Russell Peters is playing Prudential Center, no way I see the beacon because I'm inside enjoying some arena-sized comedy.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#33 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Wow SD that was classic

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#34 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:21 AM

You wouldn't want to push back the draft, then it might butt up against the Cup Finals.  I think it makes sense to push free agency forward to July 5 with the talking period beginning on June 30.  

It's not my national holiday but wouldn't league/PA balk at moving it to the day after everyone gets hammered? Then again it's on Canada Day so what do I know.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#35 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

Way to contribute meaningful discussion.   :rolleyes:  Strike 2.

#36 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Ill be following the situation between the Jackets and Johansen very anxiously. Apparently both sides are very much far apart still.

#37 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

Way to contribute meaningful discussion.   :rolleyes:  Strike 2.

Bill_Murray_Caddyshack2.gif

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#38 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Bill_Murray_Caddyshack2.gif

I don't get you man.  I just don't.  

52260777.jpg

#39 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

I don't get you man.  I just don't.  

52260777.jpg

vacation-o.gif

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#40 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

Thank You, Buzz Killington.

Dude, that's totally going to be my name when I am a news anchor. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users