#1 hoekster316

hoekster316

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Josh Rimer @JoshRimerHockey 9m

Nashville Predators have signed Anton Volchenkov to a 1 yr deal worth $1 million.

That's a damn steal, IMHO.

Got Bling?

Devils3SCRingsSignature.jpg

#2 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Glad for him, I'll be rooting for him and the Preds, I've always liked them (and Rinne).

#3 JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Good for both and I hear Anton is a big country music fan

#4 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Wow great deal for them. They're in a rough division but volchenkov will be worth every penny of that deal and more. He's still a very good pker.

I'm surprised there wasn't a better deal to be had. Hopefully Volch has a chance to show off to some western teams and get a nicer contract next year.

#5 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Hilarious. Brooks Orpik gets 5yr/$27.5. Besides being a bit healthier historically, is Orpik much better than Volchenkov at all?

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#6 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

That deal shows he really wanted to stay in the nhl. I think he turned down a khl offer for more $$.

#7 hoekster316

hoekster316

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

Wow great deal for them. They're in a rough division but volchenkov will be worth every penny of that deal and more. He's still a very good pker.

I'm surprised there wasn't a better deal to be had. Hopefully Volch has a chance to show off to some western teams and get a nicer contract next year.

I'm surprised too. You'd think the Islanders would've scooped him up as soon as we bought him out. But I guess that's expecting the Islanders to not be the Islanders.

Got Bling?

Devils3SCRingsSignature.jpg

#8 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

nobody offered more than 1 year other than khl.

surprised the isles didn't match that offer - pretty sure he'd have taken that instead.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#9 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

nobody offered more than 1 year other than khl.

surprised the isles didn't match that offer - pretty sure he'd have taken that instead.

I think when some slower defenseman get bought out, it sends the wrong message to many GMs (obviously a former star forward is different) . This is a show me contract, but if anyone watched Volch, he can still play. Volchenkov wasn't bought because he couldn't play. The Devils wanted some cap space for a forward and had a logjam on defense.

GMs clearly aren't so sure. They see some healthy scratches, etc and they probably have no clue on him. Anyway the difference on Orpik's deal and the slightly younger Volchenkov is laughable.

Edited by devilsrule33, 07 July 2014 - 04:26 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#10 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

That's a great deal for Nashville. Good luck Volch.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#11 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

For 1 million an Anton Volchenkov is a great value. You have to be lacking enough D though where you need an Anton Volchenkov.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#12 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

I wish him luck, always liked the guy.  i hope he's happy and does well there.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#13 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

Volchenkov wasn't on Team Russia, Orpik was on Team USA.  Orpik also has been playing more minutes.  But yeah there isn't much evidence that Orpik is better.  Just sucks to be born in the wrong country, that's all.

As for Volchenkov, I'll be hoping he does well in Nashville, it seems like a good fit.

Edited by Triumph, 07 July 2014 - 04:35 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#14 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Volchenkov wasn't on Team Russia, Orpik was on Team USA.  Orpik also has been playing more minutes.  But yeah there isn't much evidence that Orpik is better.  Just sucks to be born in the wrong country, that's all.

Absolutely love that Shero and Bylsma being a champion for their own guy making team USA has overrated this guy so much. Thank goodness Andy Greene wasn't on Team USA.

I thought Volchenkov is the one defenseman that blurred the country lines. Everyone knows he plays like a rough and touch big North American defenseman.

It's going to be sad when the Devils sign Bryce Salvador for more money next season.

Edited by devilsrule33, 07 July 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#15 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

Wow. So glad he got another chance. I can't believe he couldn't get a better deal though.. 1 mil is a STEAL

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#16 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Volchenkov wasn't on Team Russia, Orpik was on Team USA. Orpik also has been playing more minutes. But yeah there isn't much evidence that Orpik is better. Just sucks to be born in the wrong country, that's all.

As for Volchenkov, I'll be hoping he does well in Nashville, it seems like a good fit.

Pretty sure Laviolette had some input in this signing as well.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#17 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Absolutely love that Shero and Bylsma being a champion for their own guy making team USA has overrated this guy so much. Thank goodness Andy Greene wasn't on Team USA.

I thought Volchenkov is the one defenseman that blurred the country lines. Everyone knows he plays like a rough and touch big North American defenseman.

It's going to be sad when the Devils sign Bryce Salvador for more money next season.

Dude, what are you on?  The Salvador comment is laughable, false, and due to his body wearing down, he'll be lucky to finish this year out remaining healthy.  The guy has talked about how he can't skate anymore due to his foot and groin injuries.  As for the bolded, I'm sure Andy Greene would beg to differ.  Your negativity is far outweighing logic at this point.  

If Andy Greene or Keith Yandle were on the US Olympic team at Sochi, things could have been different.  

Nashville gets a serviceable bottom pairing guy who is good on the PK,  good move by Poile.

Edited by RizzMB30, 07 July 2014 - 05:41 PM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#18 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

Another great deal for Nashville. They are going to be much better this season for many reasons besides Rinne being healthy again.

#19 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

Good for the Anton and good for Nash.

Edited by Zubie#8, 07 July 2014 - 07:47 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#20 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

Dude, what are you on?  The Salvador comment is laughable, false, and due to his body wearing down, he'll be lucky to finish this year out remaining healthy.  The guy has talked about how he can't skate anymore due to his foot and groin injuries.  As for the bolded, I'm sure Andy Greene would beg to differ.  Your negativity is far outweighing logic at this point.  

If Andy Greene or Keith Yandle were on the US Olympic team at Sochi, things could have been different.  

Nashville gets a serviceable bottom pairing guy who is good on the PK,  good move by Poile.

What am I on? You need to take a few plays off with that response. Tri was saying how Orpik being on Team USA (a place he had no business being), probably bumped up his contract. I'm responding by saying that thankfully Andy Greene didn't make team USA because the secret would be out (and right now he is one of the best kept secrets in the NHL), and he'd cost the Devils a lot more, either from Greene's agent trying to get more out of the Devils or from him telling Andy to test free agency because he's an Olympian and Olympians get paid.

What negativity are you possibly talking about with regards to Greene?

Not sure what's so laughable about the Salvador comment. Lou loves him. Pete loves him. He's the Devils captain. If he wants to come back, I don't think it be at a salary that's over $2.2 million less than this season.  If Lou was comfortable giving him his contract after 2012, (a very bad contract), I don't think it's laughable to say he might want him back at $1.5 or so.

Edited by devilsrule33, 07 July 2014 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users