60 replies to this topic

#21 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

I think when some slower defenseman get bought out, it sends the wrong message to many GMs (obviously a former star forward is different) . This is a show me contract, but if anyone watched Volch, he can still play. Volchenkov wasn't bought because he couldn't play. The Devils wanted some cap space for a forward and had a logjam on defense.

GMs clearly aren't so sure. They see some healthy scratches, etc and they probably have no clue on him. Anyway the difference on Orpik's deal and the slightly younger Volchenkov is laughable.

I also think some teams are wary of devils players with the whole "is he a product of the system" stigma. Although we've had defensemen leave to other teams and be quite good too.

Dude, what are you on?  The Salvador comment is laughable, false, and due to his body wearing down, he'll be lucky to finish this year out remaining healthy.  The guy has talked about how he can't skate anymore due to his foot and groin injuries.  As for the bolded, I'm sure Andy Greene would beg to differ.  Your negativity is far outweighing logic at this point.  
If Andy Greene or Keith Yandle were on the US Olympic team at Sochi, things could have been different.  
Nashville gets a serviceable bottom pairing guy who is good on the PK,  good move by Poile.

I don't think dr33 is hoping Salvador will be back, rather he thinks Lou will offer hi. Another loyalty contract next offseason, and I donut think that is too crazy to expect as long as he does stay healthy.

Also, I think you misread the Greene part. If orpik can cash in for $5 mil a year since he was on team USA, that means Greene could have hypothetically used a team USA nod as a chip when he negotiates a deal and gotten upwards of 7 mil. We all know Greene is better than orpik and probably right on par with Martin, but I want him back here on a team friendly deal if at all possible.

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Not sure what's so laughable about the Salvador comment. Lou loves him. Pete loves him. He's the Devils captain. If he wants to come back, I don't think it be at a salary that's over $2.2 million less than this season.  If Lou was comfortable giving him his contract after 2012, (a very bad contract), I don't think it's laughable to say he might want him back at $1.5 or so.

For risk of derailing the thread, I kind of wonder how much the Salvador's deal was connected with the attempt to retain Parise, since they are evidently friends.  Whatever the case, I'm cautiously optimistic that whether Salvador gets a new deal after this year will depend on how well the younger defenseman perform.  As it stands now, Salvador has proven to be adequate on the PK, and we don't yet know whether Merrill or Larsson will be able to take over that role.  If it comes down to a Zidlicky type situation where Sal is on a one year deal basis going forward, it shouldn't be the end of the world. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#23 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

Good for him, I'd still take him here on the Devils with a more manageable cap hit.

Hope he finds success over there.  West will be tough, and fast.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#24 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

I'm not positive how buyouts work. Could Lou have signed him to basically this same deal? Any devils fan would take him for that cap hit

#25 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

I'm not positive how buyouts work. Could Lou have signed him to basically this same deal? Any devils fan would take him for that cap hit

no, the compliance buyout meant he could not re-sign with the devils.

Edit: and I also think the nhl would have something to say if a team tried to work around this by say, buying out a player, have him sign with another team at a lower hit and then trade for him afterwards. We know how they are with that pesky "spirit of the cba" thing.

Edited by dmann422, 07 July 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#26 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

those teams gets good deal cause the player is willing to take less cause he's still getting money from his previous contract. 

www.SterioDesign.com

#27 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

the devils couldn't trade for anton before the start of the season - but midway through, or at the deadline, there's no problem with that.

i think they'd have to get destroyed with injuries for that to happen but its possible.

this deal was done because it was the best chance to get a 2 year contract after this year. it provides him the best chance to prove his worth - moreso than say the islanders or florida.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#28 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

Wow, what are the odds - Nashville has another Grossman client, neither the Islanders nor Florida do.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#29 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

shouldve just went back to the khl
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#30 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

shouldve just went back to the khl

Why would you possibly say this?

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#31 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

the devils couldn't trade for anton before the start of the season - but midway through, or at the deadline, there's no problem with that.

i think they'd have to get destroyed with injuries for that to happen but its possible.

this deal was done because it was the best chance to get a 2 year contract after this year. it provides him the best chance to prove his worth - moreso than say the islanders or florida.

I could have sworn there's something in the CBA about the team who bought out the player not being able to re-sign or trade for them in the year following that buyout. Did they take it out in the new one?

#32 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:59 AM

What am I on? You need to take a few plays off with that response. Tri was saying how Orpik being on Team USA (a place he had no business being), probably bumped up his contract. I'm responding by saying that thankfully Andy Greene didn't make team USA because the secret would be out (and right now he is one of the best kept secrets in the NHL), and he'd cost the Devils a lot more, either from Greene's agent trying to get more out of the Devils or from him telling Andy to test free agency because he's an Olympian and Olympians get paid.

What negativity are you possibly talking about with regards to Greene?

Not sure what's so laughable about the Salvador comment. Lou loves him. Pete loves him. He's the Devils captain. If he wants to come back, I don't think it be at a salary that's over $2.2 million less than this season.  If Lou was comfortable giving him his contract after 2012, (a very bad contract), I don't think it's laughable to say he might want him back at $1.5 or so.

Okay okay, my bad, benching myself.  I read your comment and I was thinking from Andy Greene's perspective, not the Devils' perspective.  For instance, I'm sure Greene would have loved to be on Team USA (I would have loved it too at the time).  It's because the idiots running Team USA put Shero and Bylsma in charge of building an Olympic team.  I'd put big money on that's why Orpik was even selected.  

The negativity I was talking about was in regards to Sal.  The guy just doesn't have much left in the tank.  Hopefully he can have a decent year for the team's sake.  Most of us at the time of Sal's last signing were okay with it because he just had the fluke of a lifetime in the playoffs and it was more of a reward contract than a "loyalty" contract.  We have 3 young guys pushing out vets right now, and likely more on the way.  If Lou has Greene to be a bridge veteran for this guys, even if Salvador has a great year this year, why would Sal be back at age 39/40?  Just look at Salvador's stats the last two years.  Under his most recent contract, Salvador has not even played half of a full season and has been under in terms of plus/minus both seasons (Not that +/- is a useful stat).  Salvador himself has said in an end of season interview that injuries have been slowing him down.  

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#33 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

http://video.devils....ocenter/console

#34 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:30 AM

Okay okay, my bad, benching myself.  I read your comment and I was thinking from Andy Greene's perspective, not the Devils' perspective.  For instance, I'm sure Greene would have loved to be on Team USA (I would have loved it too at the time).  It's because the idiots running Team USA put Shero and Bylsma in charge of building an Olympic team.  I'd put big money on that's why Orpik was even selected.  

The negativity I was talking about was in regards to Sal.  The guy just doesn't have much left in the tank.  Hopefully he can have a decent year for the team's sake.  Most of us at the time of Sal's last signing were okay with it because he just had the fluke of a lifetime in the playoffs and it was more of a reward contract than a "loyalty" contract.  We have 3 young guys pushing out vets right now, and likely more on the way.  If Lou has Greene to be a bridge veteran for this guys, even if Salvador has a great year this year, why would Sal be back at age 39/40?  Just look at Salvador's stats the last two years.  Under his most recent contract, Salvador has not even played half of a full season and has been under in terms of plus/minus both seasons (Not that +/- is a useful stat).  Salvador himself has said in an end of season interview that injuries have been slowing him down.  

I recall a fair amount of posters being pretty unhappy with the length of that deal. That 3rd year looked real bad at the time and now that we're in that 3rd year, we're being proven right.

#35 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

I recall a fair amount of posters being pretty unhappy with the length of that deal. That 3rd year looked real bad at the time and now that we're in that 3rd year, we're being proven right.

This is true, but I said okay with it, not thrilled about it.  

#36 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

I remember being furious about it. Not just the 3rd year. Resigning him at any cost created the 8man defense and blocked the path for larrson at the very least. It also lead to Anton's buyout indirectly so you could argue that it cost the devils even more $.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#37 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

Pretty sure Laviolette had some input in this signing as well.

It's funny you mention that, Volchenkov always played really well against the Flyers during his time here. I specifically remember him laying a really big hit (either on Hartnell or Giroux) some time in 2012 and the Philly fans went out of their way to boo him the rest of the season and into the playoffs. Flyers fans I know had a specific hatred for Volchenkov around that time haha.. Guess his play rubbed Lavy the right way.

Edited by DJ Eco, 08 July 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#38 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

1 million for Volenchkov? Sounds like 999K too much!

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#39 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

1 million for Volenchkov? Sounds like 999K too much!

what? You're ridiculous for thinking that

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#40 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

Why would you possibly say this?

because they offered him more money and a longer contract and he chose to stay in the nhl.. for 1 year 1 mill.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users