60 replies to this topic

#41 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

I remember being furious about it. Not just the 3rd year. Resigning him at any cost created the 8man defense and blocked the path for larrson at the very least. It also lead to Anton's buyout indirectly so you could argue that it cost the devils even more $.

I don't think the Devils would've gone into the season with a sextet of Greene, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas.  That's the worst part about Salvador leaving after next season, it puts the Devils in the market for a Salvador style D, and there's plenty available.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#42 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

So Volch taking less money because he wants to stay in the nhl is a bad thing? And He isn't even worth a $1 contract?

Great thread.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#43 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

I don't think the Devils would've gone into the season with a sextet of Greene, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas. That's the worst part about Salvador leaving after next season, it puts the Devils in the market for a Salvador style D, and there's plenty available.

I wouldn't blame them for bringing in a veteran guy who's solid defensively (just not anywhere near orpik term and money), heck I'm a bit worried this year trusting Larsson and Merrill on the pk, but I guess we have to take the training wheels off eventually.

#44 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

So Volch taking less money because he wants to stay in the nhl is a bad thing? And He isn't even worth a $1 contract?
Great thread.

who said it was a bad thing?.. i said he shouldve taken more money and a better over all contract in the khl for his own good.. would only make sense for him, not like the preds are going to get close to the cup or something so why not hes only going to get these little contracts now
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#45 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,018 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

I don't think the Devils would've gone into the season with a sextet of Greene, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas.  That's the worst part about Salvador leaving after next season, it puts the Devils in the market for a Salvador style D, and there's plenty available.

Well as of now, that's the lineup (switch Salvador for Volch). Are you thinking the Devils feel more comfortable with Salvador over Volch and the other 5. In both cases, I think they might want another tough vet signed.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#46 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

It seems like Volch is doing exactly what is good for him. He wants to stay in the NHL.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#47 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

For those asking about the rules on buyouts, you're not allowed to sign that player for a full year since you've bought him out, i'm not sure what the rule is on trades though or if there even is one.

25smul5.png

#48 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

For those asking about the rules on buyouts, you're not allowed to sign that player for a full year since you've bought him out, i'm not sure what the rule is on trades though or if there even is one.

There's no specific rule.  However, Bettman/Daly last offseason sent out a warning to teams that buy-out/immediate trade backs would be viewed as cap circumvention. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#49 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

I remember being furious about it. Not just the 3rd year. Resigning him at any cost created the 8man defense and blocked the path for larrson at the very least. It also lead to Anton's buyout indirectly so you could argue that it cost the devils even more $.

I remember just about everyone being pretty pissed about it. Most were high on Sal because of his playoff performance but when we saw he got three years everyone was like  :o WTF just happened? And then  :argh: .

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#50 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Well as of now, that's the lineup (switch Salvador for Volch). Are you thinking the Devils feel more comfortable with Salvador over Volch and the other 5. In both cases, I think they might want another tough vet signed.

Yeah, I do.  I mean, Volchenkov was a healthy scratch some nights where Salvador played 20 minutes.  It's clear which guy they think is better.

They'll end up paying the idiot tax next off-season.

#51 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Steal for the Pred's.   They are going to need A-Train to cover the kids on the bluelines mistakes.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#52 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

There's no specific rule. However, Bettman/Daly last offseason sent out a warning to teams that buy-out/immediate trade backs would be viewed as cap circumvention.

Ah, so it's to be ignored unless the Devils do it
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#53 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

Ah, so it's to be ignored unless the Devils do it

to be fair, there was speculation last year that the nhl warned Tampa that they could not trade lecavalier to have another team buy him out only to re-sign him.

#54 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Steal for the Pred's.   They are going to need A-Train to cover the kids on the bluelines mistakes.

How soon will he wind up on the IR?

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#55 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

now, i'm assuming you're on the same wavelength i was when i wrote this and that i was referring to the summer of 2012 after the cup run.  that's why my response to your staement is:

how quickly you forget - you're missing a defenseman on that list (2 actually) that we both penciled in as we expected another idiot GM to overpay for salvador instead of our own. neither gelinas or merrill were a twinkle in our eye.

now if you're going to say that the devils would not buy out salvador instead of volchenkov last week because they don't want THIS year's 6D to be what you've said, my argument would still say that they're better with anton than they are with sal next year, but i agree that the devils obviously don't feel that way (and have valued sal over anton always).

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#56 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

I can't tell if you're misunderstanding me - I'm talking about this season.  Obviously I think they would've gone into 2012-13 with a sextet of Volchenkov, Greene, Tallinder, Fayne, Larsson, Zidlicky, but I don't think that's what we're talking about.  

Tallinder seems like his NHL career might be over - either he signs one of these Volchenkov-type deals (which may or may not be out there for him) or he's done.  He didn't get dealt at the deadline last year which seemed telling.

#57 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,018 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

now, i'm assuming you're on the same wavelength i was when i wrote this and that i was referring to the summer of 2012 after the cup run.  that's why my response to your staement is:

how quickly you forget - you're missing a defenseman on that list (2 actually) that we both penciled in as we expected another idiot GM to overpay for salvador instead of our own. neither gelinas or merrill were a twinkle in our eye.

now if you're going to say that the devils would not buy out salvador instead of volchenkov last week because they don't want THIS year's 6D to be what you've said, my argument would still say that they're better with anton than they are with sal next year, but i agree that the devils obviously don't feel that way (and have valued sal over anton always).

Hard to know if that was only predicated on Salvador being given the captaincy. It was clear for a lot of last season that the Devils needed to sit one of the two to get some offense from Gelinas. We always knew it was not going to be Salvador. It kind of snowballs from there where you give someone the captaincy, you speak glowingly of them, you never scratch them and all of a sudden you start believing they are that good just because he has a letter on his chest, and it isn't even in the thought process to scratch him.

I think that's where the Devils are with Salvador. But Lou has always been a major fan. Even before the contract was given out, I was pretty positive he'd be brought back due to the way Lou talked about Bryce. It really stood out. Everything from his comeback, the work he put in, the leadership, etc. The fluke offensive playoff run was the clincher to really raise his market value up. You'll hear coaches and GMs talk about how important the Bryce Salvador's of the worlds are when you sign a contract like that. Don't think we've seen it.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#58 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

I can't tell if you're misunderstanding me - I'm talking about this season.  Obviously I think they would've gone into 2012-13 with a sextet of Volchenkov, Greene, Tallinder, Fayne, Larsson, Zidlicky, but I don't think that's what we're talking about.  

Tallinder seems like his NHL career might be over - either he signs one of these Volchenkov-type deals (which may or may not be out there for him) or he's done.  He didn't get dealt at the deadline last year which seemed telling.

that's was what i was talking about (2012). the conversation was brought into the direction of someone saying that some people weren't thrilled with sal's 3 year contract that summer. i then said i was livid about it because it was a misallocation of resources and buying high on a guy who had a flukey month. if sal didn't get 14 points in that playoff run, i don't think he'd have been resigned.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#59 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,018 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

that's was what i was talking about (2012). the conversation was brought into the direction of someone saying that some people weren't thrilled with sal's 3 year contract that summer. i then said i was livid about it because it was a misallocation of resources and buying high on a guy who had a flukey month. if sal didn't get 14 points in that playoff run, i don't think he'd have been resigned.

Oh he'd be back, but at a lower cap hit.

logokx.jpg

#60 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

Hard to know if that was only predicated on Salvador being given the captaincy. It was clear for a lot of last season that the Devils needed to sit one of the two to get some offense from Gelinas. We always knew it was not going to be Salvador. It kind of snowballs from there where you give someone the captaincy, you speak glowingly of them, you never scratch them and all of a sudden you start believing they are that good just because he has a letter on his chest, and it isn't even in the thought process to scratch him.

I think that's where the Devils are with Salvador. But Lou has always been a major fan. Even before the contract was given out, I was pretty positive he'd be brought back due to the way Lou talked about Bryce. It really stood out. Everything from his comeback, the work he put in, the leadership, etc. The fluke offensive playoff run was the clincher to really raise his market value up. You'll hear coaches and GMs talk about how important the Bryce Salvador's of the worlds are when you sign a contract like that. Don't think we've seen it.

Salvador was kept over Colin White in 2011-12.  I thought Salvador would be bought out, if anyone was going to be (it was revealed that he was healthy over the summer), but White was the guy tossed aside.  And White was the guy who Lemaire was going to give the C when Langenbrunner sat in 2010.  

I don't really think the fluke playoff run really boosted Salvador's value that greatly - I mean, the AAV of Salvador's contract is really not outrageous - it was just the term.  I don't think he'll play more than half the games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users