139 replies to this topic

#121 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

Not really sure how can find a negative in this. Devils needed him and the guy actually and fully wants to be here.

This deal was as close to a no brainer as you can get. If he wanted to be here and be #1, you can't risk him going UFA. Especially after you gave him only a half season last year. You aren't bringing back Brodeur, so there's no excuse not to make a huge commitment to Cory.

If they didn't, he'd possibly go UFA while thinking the Devils really didn't want him, and all kinds of teams would throw all kinds of cash at him. He'd have no reason to stay.

I also find the whole "how will he handle 60+ starts" angle to be nonsense. Dude is a professional athlete in the prime of his career, they know his stamina and conditioning already, so they know how much he can play.

#122 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

Not really sure how can find a negative in this.  Devils needed him and the guy actually and fully wants to be here.   

It's the internet, people will find something to complain about.

Go ahead and read the comment sections on NJ.com or NHL.com, you'll see plenty of (faux) Devils fans complaining about how the Devils 'betrayed' Marty or how they can't believe the Devils have given such a contract to a "career back-up goalie".  It's enough to make your head spin.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 11 July 2014 - 09:53 AM.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#123 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Go ahead and read the comment sections on NJ.com or NHL.com, you'll see plenty of (faux) Devils fans complaining about how the Devils 'betrayed' Marty or how they can't believe the Devils have given such a contract to a "career back-up goalie". It's enough to make your head spin.

If the government decided to give every man, woman, and child in America a check for $1 million (completely tax free), I guarantee you would find people on the internet complaining that it wasn't enough. I guarantee it. People complain about everything under the sun.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#124 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Interview with Cory on Vancouver radio.

https://soundcloud.c...a-july10th-2014

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#125 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Interview with Cory on Vancouver radio.

https://soundcloud.c...a-july10th-2014

Thanks. Cory is a class act. 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#126 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Thanks. Cory is a class act. 

Like how he calls Lou, Mr. Lamoriello.  Taking a cue from Jeter.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#127 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Go ahead and read the comment sections on NJ.com or NHL.com, you'll see plenty of (faux) Devils fans complaining about how the Devils 'betrayed' Marty or how they can't believe the Devils have given such a contract to a "career back-up goalie".  It's enough to make your head spin.

Go on FB and you will find those bottom of the barrel devils fans as well.  They are fan-boys to the extreme and they have said things along the lines like "well Marty had more wins than Cory last year so he is better!"

I have also heard from one of the leaders/mods of probably the largest fan group on FB as "Save % is not a good measure of a goalie, GAA and wins are better.  I know this because I am a scout (but for soccer)"  I'm not sh!tting you he really said that.

#128 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

Go on FB and you will find those bottom of the barrel devils fans as well.  They are fan-boys to the extreme and they have said things along the lines like "well Marty had more wins than Cory last year so he is better!"

I have also heard from one of the leaders/mods of probably the largest fan group on FB as "Save % is not a good measure of a goalie, GAA and wins are better.  I know this because I am a scout (but for soccer)"  I'm not sh!tting you he really said that.

Those people are amazing. And don't mess with a soccer scout! He knows what matters in hockey!! Wait...

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#129 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

Reminds me of the dopes who say they'd rather have the pitcher who has an ERA approaching 4.00 but has a winning record vs. the one who has an ERA in the low-to-mid 2.00 range with a sub-.500 record because the guy with the higher ERA "knows how to win".  Yeah, there's shades of gray here...an ERA can be bloated by a handful of putrid outings over the course of a season, and if you want to go into sabermetric territory you can bring up ballparks, etc...but the idea is to give up as few runs as possible so your team doesn't have to score as many runs to win.  If the guy with the low ERA is pitching for a lousy offensive team and/or is leaving games with leads and seeing his bullpen cough those leads up, is his team really losing ithe games that guy starts because he doesn't know how to win?!

Marty's decent GAAs the past two seasons had everything to do with the team limiting shots...on a lot of other teams, it would have been 3.00 or higher.  And Cory's GAA was light-years better than Marty's last season (1.97 to 2.51), so there goes the GAA argument with the fanboy crowd. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 July 2014 - 02:31 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#130 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Like how he calls Lou, Mr. Lamoriello.  Taking a cue from Jeter.

Clarkson always called him that too

Devils.

#131 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Reminds me of the dopes who say they'd rather have the pitcher who has an ERA approaching 4.00 but has a winning record vs. the one who has an ERA in the low-to-mid 2.00 range with a sub-.500 record because the guy with the higher ERA "knows how to win".  Yeah, there's shades of gray here...an ERA can be bloated by a handful of putrid outings over the course of a season, and if you want to go into sabermetric territory you can bring up ballparks, etc...but the idea is to give up as few runs as possible so your team doesn't have to score as many runs to win.  If the guy with the low ERA is pitching for a lousy offensive team and/or is leaving games with leads and seeing his bullpen cough those leads up, is his team really losing ithe games that guy starts because he doesn't know how to win?!

Marty's decent GAAs the past two seasons had everything to do with the team limiting shots...on a lot of other teams, it would have been 3.00 or higher.  And Cory's GAA was light-years better than Marty's last season (1.97 to 2.51), so there goes the GAA argument with the fanboy crowd. 

He actually argued the other way around by saying save % can be inflated by the team limiting the amount of shots on net.  For a self-proclaimed scout of anything he sure is a dipsh!t when it comes to his own material.  Not only that but he goes around like a friggin know-it-all and many people come and leave that group just because of him.

Also probably him defending Marty because of the other mods is a relative of Marty lol.

#132 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

DevsMan what I don't understand is why you continue to go on these FB groups - you've been complaining about this for awhile. You are like a masochist man.  :P

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#133 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

Clarkson always called him that too

Pretty sure that most of them do.

#134 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

starting to grow on me that cory is now our boy. he's such a class act, fits in perfectly with nj's motto. here's hoping to 8 great years! 

#135 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

starting to grow on me that cory is now our boy. he's such a class act, fits in perfectly with nj's motto. here's hoping to 8 great years! 

Same thing here. It will definitely be weird with someone else than Marty between the pipes, but we are surely better off with Cory right now. I truly believe he will be great for us. 

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#136 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

People will still bash Cory, lots of folks here bashed him already.

For my part im always willing to give a free pass to guys like Cory or all the youngsters on the D cause we need youth and those guys will make mistakes but that's what we wanted but then you have to deal with the consequences and them making rookie mistakes but its fine.

On the other hand... when a veteran fvcks up...

www.SterioDesign.com

#137 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

People will still bash Cory, lots of folks here bashed him already.

For my part im always willing to give a free pass to guys like Cory or all the youngsters on the D cause we need youth and those guys will make mistakes but that's what we wanted but then you have to deal with the consequences and them making rookie mistakes but its fine.

On the other hand... when a veteran fvcks up...

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but rookie mistakes can snowball and bam, then your team is 10-24 going into January.  Is that fine?  I agree that the youth is what we wanted, but there is a middle ground.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#138 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

I don't know if "rookie mistakes" and Cory Schneider belong in the same discussion.

#139 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

I don't know if "rookie mistakes" and Cory Schneider belong in the same discussion.

no matter who it is people make mistakes ..let a softie go by when it was easily stoppable.. i mean players are human they arent machines. schneider is a solid all around guy, i think we are in a great spot with him.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#140 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

no matter who it is people make mistakes ..let a softie go by when it was easily stoppable.. i mean players are human they arent machines. schneider is a solid all around guy, i think we are in a great spot with him.

Agreed.

I mean, Schneider's version of a slump this year was maybe a couple games with below-par attempts on saving a shootout, and a few games here and there that he maybe let in an untimely goal in a 1-0 game, or something. If that's his version "slump", and we upgraded our goal-scoring, I'm thrilled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users