53 replies to this topic

#1 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

was taking a look at the schedule for this season and was thinking about traveling to go see a game for the first time this season.. i mean ive been to the dump in L.I. and to the over rated garden.. but im talking about traveling over night to go see a game. At first i thought maybe to go see a game in toronto would be fun but the travel time is over 7 hours i dont know if i could handle that. Montreal is a bit closer being a 5 hour ride so that could be a better possibility. Wanted to start this thread to see if anyone has any recommendations on a good arena to go see specifically for a good experience and to see who has traveled where to go see the devils play. Hotel recommendations would also be appreciated.. would obviously like a hotel as close to the arena as possible.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#2 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

Montreal is a great place to see a game and have drinks afterwards. Tickets can be pretty expensive sometimes though. Great city.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#3 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

was taking a look at the schedule for this season and was thinking about traveling to go see a game for the first time this season.. i mean ive been to the dump in L.I. and to the over rated garden.. but im talking about traveling over night to go see a game. At first i thought maybe to go see a game in toronto would be fun but the travel time is over 7 hours i dont know if i could handle that. Montreal is a bit closer being a 5 hour ride so that could be a better possibility. Wanted to start this thread to see if anyone has any recommendations on a good arena to go see specifically for a good experience and to see who has traveled where to go see the devils play. Hotel recommendations would also be appreciated.. would obviously like a hotel as close to the arena as possible.

Not sure where exactly you're located, but Toronto is closer to pretty much everywhere in NJ compared to Montreal. Almost positive you're not getting there in 5 hours. It'll be more like 9. From where I am, Toronto is a 6-7 hour drive or so depending on traffic. Buffalo might be a good spot to try, but is only about 90 mins closer than Toronto. However, you wouldn't need a passport to cross the border and tickets might be more reasonable given that they're terrible right now. D.C. is a spot that's closer than all those, but I have no idea what ticket prices are like there.

Edited by ATLL765, 29 July 2014 - 11:37 PM.

#4 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:58 PM

Got a ticket to a game in Mtl lasy season. Cheapest I found was like 60 (at one point early on i saw some for like 35).

Great atmosphere, no problems AT ALL cheering for the Devils. Plus nightlife in Montreal is pretty solid. Was already there for a week snowboarding so I had a blast

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#5 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:06 AM

From South Jersey, Montreal is about seven hours and Toronto is about 8-9, so that's that.
Try Nashville, great city as well, or NC, nice as well!

Edited by CarterforPresident, 30 July 2014 - 01:06 AM.

#6 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:48 AM

I like going to Boston. Tickets are always reasonable and the arena is nice. Plenty of hotels in walking distance of the arena and the city overall is great.

DC is also good short trip. Plenty of great Chinese restaurants around the arena. If you don't mind walking you can walk to the monuments and some of the museums if you are into that kind of thing.

Pittsburgh is a decent place to go to. Nice city with plenty of great restaurants and plenty of hotels in walking distance too.

Buffalo is a sh!t hole and not worth the drive to me. The arena also feels like a barn. If you sit in the upper deck you might as well stay home.

#7 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:07 AM

From South Jersey, Montreal is about seven hours and Toronto is about 8-9, so that's that.

Sometimes I really just forget South Jersey exists, not really, just in the way that I don't factor it into my thought process. I've spent my whole life in North Jersey and South NJ just always seemed like a whole other state to me, lol.

#8 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:43 AM

Haven't been inside Verizon Ctr for a game since 2008 when our guys were in town but been to the city a few times since. Might be your best bet if not Philly since it might be easier to get tix than Boston. Might go for a weekend trip for the 11/14 game finances permitting and if the team doesn't blow.

#9 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

Not sure where exactly you're located, but Toronto is closer to pretty much everywhere in NJ compared to Montreal. Almost positive you're not getting there in 5 hours. It'll be more like 9. From where I am, Toronto is a 6-7 hour drive or so depending on traffic. Buffalo might be a good spot to try, but is only about 90 mins closer than Toronto. However, you wouldn't need a passport to cross the border and tickets might be more reasonable given that they're terrible right now. D.C. is a spot that's closer than all those, but I have no idea what ticket prices are like there.

im up in rockland county NY, i mapquested both arenas and toronto is about 2 hours of a longer drive then montreal. I have a passport so that wouldnt be too big of a deal for me in making a decision to go into canada or not
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#10 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

im up in rockland county NY, i mapquested both arenas and toronto is about 2 hours of a longer drive then montreal. I have a passport so that wouldnt be too big of a deal for me in making a decision to go into canada or not

You already being in upstate NY is a complete game changer here. haha Boston or Montreal have to be your best bets.  great cities and not too bad of a drive

#11 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

You already being in upstate NY is a complete game changer here. haha Boston or Montreal have to be your best bets.  great cities and not too bad of a drive

hey we dont consider ourselves "upstate".. im only 30 minutes from New York City, and 25 minutes tops from Bergen County
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#12 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

Pretty sure Montreal is closer to most points in Jersey than Toronto.

To answer the OP's question, I too am thinking of going to 1 or 2 "away" away games (outside of maybe MSG and Long Island).

- If I have some money to burn in February, I might do the Montreal game. After the cost of the ticket, flight, and hotel, it could get pricey for just a weekend.

- If I don't have too much money to burn in February, I'm eyeing up that Nashville game that month. Snatch a cheap flight, tickets will be pretty cheap, and hotels are pretty cheap. Nashville could be a pretty fun weekend away from the cold of NJ.

#13 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

hey we dont consider ourselves "upstate".. im only 30 minutes from New York City, and 25 minutes tops from Bergen County

i'd pretty much consider anything outside of NYC "upstate"

#14 JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

I miss seeing the Devils vs. Whalers in Hartford

#15 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Nashville on Valentines Day sounds like a perfect road trip.

#16 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

came to say Nashville, but it's not exactly an overnight trip, it'd be great for a weekend- you can see most everything in 2-3 days. Flights probably could be had for about $300 round trip.

My one visit to Nashville just happened to fall on a devils game (not planned at all). Such a cool city with great downtown and bars- and I hate country music. Was pleasantly surprised to see as many red jerseys as I did.

DC is cool too and has a lot to do near the verizon center, OP if you make the trip I'll buy you a beer.

#17 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

As an Orange County resident, I agree. I've been "upstate", and we aren't it haha

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#18 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Absolutely go to Montrel. I've been to Boston Pittsburgh Philly Long Island NY Toronto and Washington. Nothing compares to Montreal and the city itself is awesome. Not a bad road trip either, it's basically just I-87 north.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#19 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

I've been lucky to go to a good number of places to see the Devils play, and there's a lot of driveable options from Jersey, which is nice. Here's a few places you might consider going if you're deadset on driving:

Toronto- As others have said, might be closer than MTL depending on where you are. Plus, you would be able to visit the HHOF, which everyone needs to do at least once.

Montreal- Arguably the best in-game atmosphere you'll ever experience. It's also a great city as others have pointed out, so you'll have a pretty memorable weekend

Boston- Easy drive or Amtrak trip, easy city to get around, just about the perfect size. Cool historical things to see. I can't speak about the bar scene because I wasn't 21 the last time I went, but I'd assume it's pretty fun

NC- I live here now, and I'd say it's a pretty easy drive especially if you do it in a three day weekend. The Canes play in Raleigh, which isn't as fun as Charlotte but is near Duke, UNC, and NC St. If the Devils are playing here sometime in late December or January (I can't remember when), then I would say sandwiching the hockey game with some ACC basketball would be a must. 

If you're willing to fly, I would also put Chicago, Nashville, and Florida in the ring. Chicago is probably my favorite large city that I've been to (moreso than NYC), Nashville is a great city with awesome bars and plenty to do. The arena is really conveniently located to the main area downtown. Florida, well, it's cheap and you'd be able to go to the beach a bit, I'd imagine.

All in all, I don't really think you can go wrong with any of these cities, they all offer different experiences but I haven't had a bad time at any of them. Top three though, I'd say Nashville, Montreal, Toronto.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#20 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

After seeing our fans invade MSG last year, I think we should get an organized trip to MSG (and LI) going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users