53 replies to this topic

#21 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

If you end up going to Montreal you should go to Ziggys Pub. It's a great hockey pub and the owner is John Macleans cousin. I was there during the Maclean fiasco and talked to him about John and I always remember he said that his cousin was going through hell. Good times lol.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#22 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

After seeing our fans invade MSG last year, I think we should get an organized trip to MSG (and LI) going.

This is a great idea.

NC- I live here now, and I'd say it's a pretty easy drive especially if you do it in a three day weekend. The Canes play in Raleigh, which isn't as fun as Charlotte but is near Duke, UNC, and NC St. If the Devils are playing here sometime in late December or January (I can't remember when), then I would say sandwiching the hockey game with some ACC basketball would be a must. 

Interesting, the few times I've spent time in the Raleigh area, everyone has told me there's not much to do in Charlotte, and it isn't worth the visit.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#23 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

After seeing our fans invade MSG last year, I think we should get an organized trip to MSG (and LI) going.

I'm planning on it. Islanders are always a good one because it seems like our away games on the Isle are almost always weekend games!

As for MSG, the only drawback is our first game there is 2 days after Christmas. If those tickets aren't priced out because of being people's Christmas presents, then they'll be priced out because everyone who's off that week or every kid home from college will be penciling that one in.

The next one's a Saturday right at the tail end of the season, and we know Saturday games are always in the $110+ range at MSG.

Last season, we were lucky, there was a game on a Tuesday that I was able to go to for $60 in a sweet section (they call it "gallery" seating), buying it last minute. It was the one where Carter, I think, scored with 3 minutes left. And then there was the one that Gelinas ended in overtime, which I think was on a Saturday but in the middle of a slump. Doesn't look like there'll be any cheap games this time around.

Edited by DJ Eco, 30 July 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#24 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Yeah two fun games at the garden last season. That first one DJ was Carts scoring twice and Zubrus jamming home the game winner. The second MSG game was my favorite gm if the season.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#25 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Yeah two fun games at the garden last season. That first one DJ was Carts scoring twice and Zubrus jamming home the game winner. The second MSG game was my favorite gm if the season.

Yep that's right!!! And Marty played lights out for both of them. Devils contingent was super loud in MSG last year. That second game was something else: come-from-behind victory, with Cam Janssen with a controversial goal to the absolute ire of Rangers fans, and a Gelinas OT winner... Phew...

#26 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

Yep that's right!!! And Marty played lights out for both of them. Devils contingent was super loud in MSG last year. That second game was something else: come-from-behind victory, with Cam Janssen with a controversial goal to the absolute ire of Rangers fans, and a Gelinas OT winner... Phew...

That Ryder goal was a thing of beauty as well.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#27 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

i'd pretty much consider anything outside of NYC "upstate"

you have to explore outside of jersey then man.. rockland county is nothing like "upstate" NY ..it is just like bergen county here same exact thing.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#28 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

I've been lucky to go to a good number of places to see the Devils play, and there's a lot of driveable options from Jersey, which is nice. Here's a few places you might consider going if you're deadset on driving:
Toronto- As others have said, might be closer than MTL depending on where you are. Plus, you would be able to visit the HHOF, which everyone needs to do at least once.
Montreal- Arguably the best in-game atmosphere you'll ever experience. It's also a great city as others have pointed out, so you'll have a pretty memorable weekend
Boston- Easy drive or Amtrak trip, easy city to get around, just about the perfect size. Cool historical things to see. I can't speak about the bar scene because I wasn't 21 the last time I went, but I'd assume it's pretty fun
NC- I live here now, and I'd say it's a pretty easy drive especially if you do it in a three day weekend. The Canes play in Raleigh, which isn't as fun as Charlotte but is near Duke, UNC, and NC St. If the Devils are playing here sometime in late December or January (I can't remember when), then I would say sandwiching the hockey game with some ACC basketball would be a must. 

If you're willing to fly, I would also put Chicago, Nashville, and Florida in the ring. Chicago is probably my favorite large city that I've been to (moreso than NYC), Nashville is a great city with awesome bars and plenty to do. The arena is really conveniently located to the main area downtown. Florida, well, it's cheap and you'd be able to go to the beach a bit, I'd imagine.

All in all, I don't really think you can go wrong with any of these cities, they all offer different experiences but I haven't had a bad time at any of them. Top three though, I'd say Nashville, Montreal, Toronto.

Thanks man thats pretty much the feedback i was looking for.. although the more and more i look into it i may try going to either verizon center or down to boston..being that they arent too far of a drive, 

i would definently be down for this!.. maybe not so much LI though i hate going there that place is just too much of a sh!t hole for me
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#29 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

This is a great idea.

Interesting, the few times I've spent time in the Raleigh area, everyone has told me there's not much to do in Charlotte, and it isn't worth the visit.

Eh, just my personal opinion. I like the bar scene in Charlotte in the Epicenter area, but I definitely see how people can feel that way. Charlotte's been expanding a lot so a good portion of it is suburbia. I've spent more time in Charlotte than Raleigh and have a lot of friends in Charlotte though, so I'm probably biased. Charlotte does tend to get better concerts in the summer, I think though.

Thanks man thats pretty much the feedback i was looking for.. although the more and more i look into it i may try going to either verizon center or down to boston..being that they arent too far of a drive,  i would definently be down for this!.. maybe not so much LI though i hate going there that place is just too much of a sh!t hole for me

Glad i could help! I forgot to mention DC actually, I've been there for a game as well, though I was fairly young. If you've never been to DC it's worth a visit so you can do all of the tourist things too

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#30 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

you have to explore outside of jersey then man.. rockland county is nothing like "upstate" NY ..it is just like bergen county here same exact thing.

Geographic perspective is subjective. I also see that area as "Upstate". I usually get to the games in Philly, of course we're their home opener pricing me out of at least one of the games there.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#31 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

I have been to several arenas to see the Rangers.

Montreal as others have said is a GREAT atmosphere.  Great city, too.  On the Habs board on hockeys future they have a great thread about the city.  Tickets can be expensive, especially for a saturday night.

toronto is also a great arena, near the HOF (I was disappointed with the HOF, thought it was small and got through it in ~2 hours).  Tickets are very expensive as compared to face value.  Scalpers make a killing on Leafs tickets.  Arena is also near the CN Tower and Skydome (or whatever it is called now).  When I went, I flew, and airport was a bit of a cabride to downtown.  

Ottawa is much smaller than Toronto and Montreal, but not a bad city and a fairly easy drive.  Has some cool looking government buildings if you are into architecture. Big problem is the arena is not downtown, but an easy drive from downtown.  There is one section downtown with a bunch of bars/restaurants, but can't recall the name of the area.

Philadelphia-I assume you are not looking for something that close.

Washington- I went there a few years ago and thought the Caps fans were complete dicks.  Wanna-be philadelphia fans, imo.  And no, I was not acting like an idiot or saying anything to anyone.

Carolina- Nice arena, crowd is into the game.  Although,you will likely laugh when the PA guy announces off-sides and icing.  

Pittsburgh- Cool arena, low key crowd.   Not much to do around arena.  Oh, and Primanti Brothers sucks.  Don't waste your time.

Florida- Nice arena, nice people in the crowd, but a dead crowd.  Have not been there since 2001, but when I was there was nothing around the arena.

Detroit-  Arena sucks, city is worse, but Windsor is a short ride across the river.  

Boston-good crowd, bunch of bars and restaurants around arena, not too many hotels though.  Very bandwagon town.  First time I went was before the Bruins were good and tickets were really cheap.  Then, went the year they won the Cup and tickets were much more expensive. 

Edited by Matteau#32, 30 July 2014 - 06:41 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Completely agree with your thoughts on Caps fans Matteau. I've been to so many Flyer and Ranger games but never in my life was I heckled ad threatened so badly than at a Caps game. The nosebleeds are sh!t shows with wannabe hockey fans and wannabe tough guys. I am a very quiet visiting fan and respect everyone and yet I was almost physically beat up for just being an opposing fan. This was the 7-2 loss at the Caps home opener in 2010. Idk if it was just bad luck but I suggest anyone to stay away from the uppers in Washington. For whatever reason people from Washington make fun of the jersey stereotypes at naseum as well.

Edited by Zubie#8, 30 July 2014 - 07:13 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#33 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,718 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

I could get down with an MSG invasion.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#34 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,718 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

A trip to the Island may be cool too since its the final year at that dumpster fire.

#35 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

Some guy on HF wants to set up an MSG invasion for the 12/27 gm. Both games at MSG are Saturdays so it'll be expensive.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#36 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,718 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

Oh- and everyone who says to check out Montreal is spot on. Its an awesome experience. The crowd there is unlike any crowd I've ever seen at any sporting event I've been to. That building is louder than loud. I saw a Devs-Habs game up there in 2008. The Devs lost 2-1 (ironically, Brian Gionta scored the only Devils goal that night) so I was annoyed afterwards, but I went and drank it off with some Devils fans that were staying at the same hotel as me later that night. I drank so much Molson X I actually passed out at the bar lol. It was awesome. So yeah go to Montreal.

#37 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

Some guy on HF wants to set up an MSG invasion for the 12/27 gm. Both games at MSG are Saturdays so it'll be expensive.

another reason why i dont like going to that place...its always so expensive to go to a game there
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#38 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

Oh- and everyone who says to check out Montreal is spot on. Its an awesome experience. The crowd there is unlike any crowd I've ever seen at any sporting event I've been to. That building is louder than loud. I saw a Devs-Habs game up there in 2008. The Devs lost 2-1 (ironically, Brian Gionta scored the only Devils goal that night) so I was annoyed afterwards, but I went and drank it off with some Devils fans that were staying at the same hotel as me later that night. I drank so much Molson X I actually passed out at the bar lol. It was awesome. So yeah go to Montreal.

Amazing bars and clubs there, love that city. Been to four games there and been lucky to see four wins. I managed to go to that crazy game in January of 2010 with Parise's OT winner. Brodeur and Halak put on a hell of a show.

This highlight is just sick, incredible game.

Edit: I miss the Doc and Chico combo :(

Edited by Zubie#8, 30 July 2014 - 10:39 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#39 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Marty sure used to put on a show in Montreal, damn.  Fun times.

Edit:  And now I'm sad.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 31 July 2014 - 12:08 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#40 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

toronto is also a great arena, near the HOF (I was disappointed with the HOF, thought it was small and got through it in ~2 hours).  Tickets are very expensive as compared to face value.  Scalpers make a killing on Leafs tickets.  Arena is also near the CN Tower and Skydome (or whatever it is called now).  When I went, I flew, and airport was a bit of a cabride to downtown.

For anyone contemplating Toronto, take Porter Airlines instead of Air Canada. Porter is the ONLY airline that goes direct from Newark to Billy Bishop Toronto CITY airport (not Pearson). It's a 5 minute ferry ride from downtown Toronto and you're there, never seen anything that convenient in a major city before.

And yeah, the arena is right in the middle of everything, great area to walk around and hang out, loved Toronto.

Edited by DJ Eco, 31 July 2014 - 01:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users