Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

Great News! Now, how much $$

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#63 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Lou never signs a guy to a deal in time!

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#64 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,880 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Great move by Lou there to lock him out now. Awesome to get Greene signed long term, he's a vet i want on this team. So underated.

www.SterioDesign.com

#65 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Lou never signs a guy to a deal in time!

was the story before this season
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#66 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Of course Lou waits until there's only 336 days left to finally talk to Greene. :tomato:

How long before we get a "See, Lou has finally learned his lesson!"...in (garbled) English and in French.

Anyway, glad Greene is back...good for him, he's made himself into a nice defenseman.  Would love to know the terms though.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#67 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

this really has been a great offseason.  There wasn't a HUGE splash but theres not one thing that has left us saying "HUH?"

the moves we made make us a much better team now and in the future

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#68 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Captain Greener in one year.  Book it. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#69 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

How long before we get a "See, Lou has finally learned his lesson!"...in (garbled) English and in French.

Anyway, glad Greene is back...good for him, he's made himself into a nice defenseman.  Would love to know the terms though.

I think we're seeing Lou get to build the team how he wants to under this new ownership. Lou has shown many times in the past that if a player is an important piece, he will sign them early. People will always point to Zach, but I think this is showing us that Zach was just a case of a perfect storm of bad timing, with a lack of money,  a massive Kovy deal, an impending lockout and the not-so-secretive Minnesota money all coming together.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#70 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,880 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

fvck you a$$hole. 

even if somehow this wasnt towards me well you still deserve it

www.SterioDesign.com

#71 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

I think we're seeing Lou get to build the team how he wants to under this new ownership. Lou has shown many times in the past that if a player is an important piece, he will sign them early. People will always point to Zach, but I think this is showing us that Zach was just a case of a perfect storm of bad timing, with a lack of money,  a massive Kovy deal, an impending lockout and the not-so-secretive Minnesota money all coming together.

That's how I feel about Zach not re-signing with NJ back in 2012.  It was indeed the perfect storm.  I still think he can go f himself and will always and forever be Suter's bitch boy.

Anyways Greene has been one of my second favorite current Devils for about 3 years now and he deserves.  Probably one of the most underrated defensemen and players in the NHL today.

#72 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

fvck you a$$hole. 

even if somehow this wasnt towards me well you still deserve it

Somebody took the high road. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#73 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

I remember Lou kind of taking a swipe at previous ownership (or what passes for one in Lou-speak)...I forget exactly what he said, but I remember him implying that he was hamstrung financially and wasn't able to do everything he would've liked. 

fvck you a$$hole. 

Well that's a step up from the last thing you called me...good to see I'm moving up ze ranks.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 July 2014 - 03:38 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#74 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

I remember Lou kind of taking a swipe at previous ownership (or what passes for one in Lou-speak)...I forget exactly what he said, but I remember him implying that he was hamstring financially and wasn't able to do everything he would've liked. 

Well that's a step up from the last thing you called me...good to see I'm moving up ze ranks.

I recall it too. Sometime about the "landscape" or "limitations" or something like that.  I also remember him saying, at the Kovy signing, that it was a "commitment ownership wanted to make" meaning I think Lou knew keeping both would be very difficult. I think Lou chooses Zach every time if it's his decision.

But looking at the team now, we have Zajac, Henrique, Cammalleri, Greene, and Schneider signed long term. That's a very good base for the next few years, especially if Camm can put some points up consistently.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 30 July 2014 - 03:33 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#75 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

One of the things that's definitely true is that players didn't want to sign early in the old days.  It was entirely unheard of.  That's because salaries were jumping every year.  In 1990, the Capitals didn't match the offer sheet on Scott Stevens.  The Blues offered him basically 4 years $4M total and the Capitals said no thanks we'll take the picks.  Fast forward to 2003 and Scott Stevens was making almost $7M a year and this was considered a bit of a discount.  So I could see how someone from the old school doesn't do things this way, and it's because the players didn't want it.

Fast forward to 2005 - the lockout has to muck up any hopes of getting Elias, Gomez, Niedermayer, or Rafalski committed to a long-term deal.  So we'll never know if he approached any of them early or what discussions they could've had.

Glad to see Greene re-signed - NJ basically had no one signed for next year, and now they do.  They can handle a long Greene contract, hopefully, with all the youngsters coming up.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#76 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

I recall it too. Sometime about the "landscape" or "limitations" or something like that.  I also remember him saying, at the Kovy signing, that it was a "commitment ownership wanted to make" meaning I think Lou knew keeping both would be very difficult.

But looking at the team now, we have Zajac, Henrique, Cammalleri, Greene, and Schneider signed long term. That's a very good base for the next few years, especially if Camm can put some points up consistently.

Agree, it's not a great nucleus (and some young defensemen will find their way into it soon), but not bad either.  Obviously this year depends on Jagr and Elias not suddenly aging overnight, and it would help greatly if Ryder saw his puck luck go the other way.  Still very much an "if" team for next season...I still think it's a team with a wider distance between their point floor and ceiling than most teams. 

#30 FOREVER!

#77 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

My guess is 5/25

#78 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,965 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

My guess is 5/25

He'd be 37 at the end of that deal.  I guess that's fair if the cap keeps going up.

Salary cap aside, the man deserves to get PAID. 

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#79 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

One of the things that's definitely true is that players didn't want to sign early in the old days.  It was entirely unheard of.  That's because salaries were jumping every year.  In 1990, the Capitals didn't match the offer sheet on Scott Stevens.  The Blues offered him basically 4 years $4M total and the Capitals said no thanks we'll take the picks.  Fast forward to 2003 and Scott Stevens was making almost $7M a year and this was considered a bit of a discount.  So I could see how someone from the old school doesn't do things this way, and it's because the players didn't want it.

Fast forward to 2005 - the lockout has to muck up any hopes of getting Elias, Gomez, Niedermayer, or Rafalski committed to a long-term deal.  So we'll never know if he approached any of them early or what discussions they could've had.

Glad to see Greene re-signed - NJ basically had no one signed for next year, and now they do.  They can handle a long Greene contract, hopefully, with all the youngsters coming up.

Washington ultimately rec'd five first-rounders as compensation for Stevens.  Many would take the picks...Washington had two of those five picks play a lot of games for them (in bold):  Trevor Halverson, Sergei Gonchar, Brendan Witt, Nolan Baumgartner and Miika Elomo.  Kinda hurts to see the guy who left go on to win three Cups with another franchise though.   

#30 FOREVER!

#80 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=727541

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users