iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#82 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

Best news of the Summer.

When Salvador goes on LTIR, he'll be our Captain.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#83 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

could certainly see him being our captain as soon as salvador takes a hike ..he certainly is material for it
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#84 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

I'm bursting with excitement.  NEWS GUYS.  SUMMER NEWS!  I'd be happy with a Greener extension. 

4 years at 3.5 million a year, maybe 4 a year.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But no way. He makes 3.5 this year. I think you're looking at 5 for 25. Maybe a little less.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#85 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

My guess is 5/25

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Contract is 5/25 per TG

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#86 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble. But no way. He makes 3.5 this year. I think you're looking at 5 for 25. Maybe a little less.

agreed although that would be a dream 4 years at 3.5 he is going to get something quite a bit thicker than that.. 5/25 seems to be most peoples guess.. im hoping it is 4 years between 4-5mil per.. you couldnt ask for anything better than that.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#87 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

Not thrilled with 5/25 here - I recognize that it's the market price and so on, but the 5th year could very well be brutal.  Would've rather gone 4/22 or something like 7/30.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#88 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

^exactly why i didnt want anything longer than 4 years..but we will worry about it when and if the time comes i guess.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#89 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

I'm bursting with excitement.  NEWS GUYS.  SUMMER NEWS!  I'd be happy with a Greener extension. 
4 years at 3.5 million a year, maybe 4 a year.

lol 3.5 is his current salary...  

Not thrilled with 5/25 here - I recognize that it's the market price and so on, but the 5th year could very well be brutal.  Would've rather gone 4/22 or something like 7/30.

I can understand the fifth year concerns but Greene seems like the kind of guy who should age well- he doesn't rely on speed or physicality so much as smart positioning and instincts. In the short term it's an absolute win to have a top pairing defensemen signed at 5 mil and IMO that negates the potential negative of the 5th year. 

Alright guys get your guesses in...
Mine is Greene extended 5yrs, $25 mil.

called it.

#90 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

Even at 36, Greene will provide more for his dollar than our current cement-skates captain.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#91 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

4/22 is not as good. CAP hit higher and that is bigger issue than last year.

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#92 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Pretty much what the going price is on a player like Greene, but I have to agree with Triumph that the 5th year could very well be brutal.  He logs big minutes and he will be 37 by that time.  However, if the cap keeps rising at the rate it is going at, then that might not be too brutal then.

#93 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Not going to worry about that fifth year (technically sixth...he still has a year on his current deal before the new one kicks in, same as Schneider)...he may not even be on the team at that point.  If the Devils get four good years out of him, considering how these long-term deals tend to go, that's probably as much as we should realistically hope for. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#94 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Not going to worry about that fifth year (technically sixth...he still has a year on his current deal before the new one kicks in, same as Schneider)...he may not even be on the team at that point.  If the Devils get four good years out of him, considering how these long-term deals tend to go, that's probably as much as we should realistically hope for. 

This

#95 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

People are really complaining about five years when he would have easily got six years and probably six million or more on the open market?

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#96 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

5 for 25. Nailed it along with SMantas and dmann. That's market value. Wait to see what happens with PK and the Habs.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#97 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

I'd argue it's below market price given some of the FA stupidity this offseason (see: Capitals, Washington)

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#98 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

People are really complaining about five years when he would have easily got six years and probably six million or more on the open market?

To be fair, I hated signing Brassard for the same term. But it's better to lock up your own now than wait.

#99 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

*takes a bow

Greene doesn't really rely too much on physical tools so I don't think he'll age too poorly. He's surely worth at least six on the open market. Lou did pretty well with this one

#100 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

Bingo. Detroit would've forked that over for sure, along with a bunch of other teams. I'm fine with 5/25.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users