#102 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

*takes a bow

Greene doesn't really rely too much on physical tools so I don't think he'll age too poorly. He's surely worth at least six on the open market. Lou did pretty well with this one

I see him aging like Niedermayer, but hopefully his speed isn't totally crap by then. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#103 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

I don't think they did bad there. Do I want to pay a 37 year old Andy Greene $5 mil for the season? Not really.

Will I do it to get 32-34 Andy at the same price? Hell yes I will.

We all know the extra year is key in these deals. You either give it, or someone else does and he walks.

#104 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

Lou is on fire this offseason!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#105 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Today on HF, I learned that Dan Girardi is better than Greene

#106 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

Today on HF, I learned that Dan Girardi is better than Greene

I am the one having a discussion with that guy haha. HF drives me nuts sometimes, I get angry on there.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#107 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

4/22 is not as good. CAP hit higher and that is bigger issue than last year.

I'd rather have $500k more on the cap than a 5th year that's locked in at $5M.  I just can't see Greene being more than a 3rd pairing D at that point, but he'd still be being paid like a 2nd pairing D, and we've seen how this tends to go.

It's a good contract but still, Greene is basically 33 when it starts.  It's a bit of a risk.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#108 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:54 PM

I'd rather have $500k more on the cap than a 5th year that's locked in at $5M.  I just can't see Greene being more than a 3rd pairing D at that point, but he'd still be being paid like a 2nd pairing D, and we've seen how this tends to go.

It's a good contract but still, Greene is basically 33 when it starts.  It's a bit of a risk.

I'm with you. Since this deal only starts in 2015, you might only get two good years out of this contract. There is some risk.

But, I'm happy he's back. He has so few miles on him, so that's a plus. Less than 600 pro games; that's pretty nutty.

On another note, I love how members of the media had such trouble accurately describing what Greene does well. I saw +/- stats thrown out and blocked shots #.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#109 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:27 AM

Damn it. It's in my head now, too. Which is a shame because Weird Al's Foil was in there for the last day or so.

I have to say Word Crimes still has full control over my brain.

#110 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,863 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:58 AM

I'm with you. Since this deal only starts in 2015, you might only get two good years out of this contract. There is some risk.

But, I'm happy he's back. He has so few miles on him, so that's a plus. Less than 600 pro games; that's pretty nutty.

On another note, I love how members of the media had such trouble accurately describing what Greene does well. I saw +/- stats thrown out and blocked shots #.

If we only get 2 years out of this contract that would be a disaster.

There is a risk with any long term contract but I think Lou properly played the odds here and if he has a 2014-15 like last year he was in for a BIG payday.

He could have gotten 6+ on the FA market and then to keep him the Devils would have paid way more. And the CAP stays the same this year now!

This is a really fair deal.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#111 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

If we only get 2 years out of this contract that would be a disaster.

There is a risk with any long term contract but I think Lou properly played the odds here and if he has a 2014-15 like last year he was in for a BIG payday.

He could have gotten 6+ on the FA market and then to keep him the Devils would have paid way more. And the CAP stays the same this year now!

This is a really fair deal.

But that's the risk you take. Look at the deal Girardi got. Even the most rah rah Blueshirt fan knows Danny G will be toast by the mid-point. That's why it's smart to frontload the contract and decrease the number.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#112 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

Bingo. Detroit would've forked that over for sure, along with a bunch of other teams. I'm fine with 5/25.

The Red Wings were so desperate they wound up giving Quincey $4.25 mill just to retain him after striking out on Niskanen and Stralman.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#113 Guadana

Guadana

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:14 AM

remember contracts of nikitin? fu...nnyng Quincey?

and what real cash for def who is in best 50 of def of th league in points, goals, shots, pp points, sh points, blockshots, drive against best players, top 20 ice time, top 5 sh ice time and our sh is one of the best in league

and i think he deserve some discount

5KK - it`s luck

best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#114 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

Anytime you sign a guy to five years and he's in his early 30s, it's always going to be a risk, and a near-guarantee that the end of the contract will get ugly. 

But it all goes back to the same thing...on the UFA market (barring serious injury), he'd likely get more both in term and in coin.  The ironic thing is that Tri's post is exactly the kind of post he gets on other people for making, claiming that such posters don't understand how UFA works when they bring up overpayments (in terms of too many years, etc).  Obviously Greene wasn't a UFA in this case, but this was a nice pre-emptive strike by Lou to make this a "reasonable" overpayment, as opposed to an insane one.  And good for the Devils that Greene wasn't interested in leaving or getting every last cent.  I think if he had wanted to go that route and play out his current deal, like others have noted, he might've gotten six years at $6 million per, which really DOES seem crazy. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#115 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

So let's see here. The flyers extended Andrew fvcking MacDonald for 6/30. We signed Andy Greene for 5/25. I'd much rather be throwing the 5 mil at Greene. 

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#116 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Anytime you sign a guy to five years and he's in his early 30s, it's always going to be a risk, and a near-guarantee that the end of the contract will get ugly. 

But it all goes back to the same thing...on the UFA market (barring serious injury), he'd likely get more both in term and in coin.  The ironic thing is that Tri's post is exactly the kind of post he gets on other people for making, claiming that such posters don't understand how UFA works when they bring up overpayments (in terms of too many years, etc).  Obviously Greene wasn't a UFA in this case, but this was a nice pre-emptive strike by Lou to make this a "reasonable" overpayment, as opposed to an insane one.  And good for the Devils that Greene wasn't interested in leaving or getting every last cent.  I think if he had wanted to go that route and play out his current deal, like others have noted, he might've gotten six years at $6 million per, which really DOES seem crazy. 

Andy Greene was never on the market.  And I contended that the Devils should've offered similar-ish money in fewer years.  22/4 instead of 25/5.  They have a lot of cheap D years coming, but 5 years out, that defense will likely no longer be cheap - Gelinas will be UFA, Larsson will be UFA, Merrill will be too.  Who knows what the future holds for those three guys, but what we can be pretty sure of is that the Devils will still be spending loads on forwards at that point.  

They could've even gone longer on a Greene contract - something like 30/7, with slight frontloading, encouraging an early retirement.  It's a decent contract and I'm glad Greene is signed for next year but I imagine there will be issues with this deal in the future.

#117 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

I don't think it's a guarantee that Greene gets more term or much more $$$ if he tested the market. I could see $2.5 million more over the course of the deal. He's still incredible underrated around the league as the general reactions of this deal have shown, and his not being on the US' radar for the last few years for any tournament. Add that with him hitting the UFA market at 33.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#118 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

I don't think it's a guarantee that Greene gets more term or much more $$$ if he tested the market. I could see $2.5 million more over the course of the deal. He's still incredible underrated around the league as the general reactions of this deal have shown, and his not being on the US' radar for the last few years for any tournament. Add that with him hitting the UFA market at 33.

I think he would've gotten more dollars/year if - and this is not a small if - he repeated this past season offensively.  Don't forget we know the cap is going up to $74M independent of anything else.  I think he could've gotten 5/30 if he repeats this year, or 4/27.  Your top UFA D next year are Mike Green, Paul Martin, Andrej Sekera, Christian Ehrhoff, Marc Staal.  It isn't exactly a deep pool and of course it will only get shallower as the season progresses.

#119 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

Andy Greene was never on the market.  And I contended that the Devils should've offered similar-ish money in fewer years.  22/4 instead of 25/5.  They have a lot of cheap D years coming, but 5 years out, that defense will likely no longer be cheap - Gelinas will be UFA, Larsson will be UFA, Merrill will be too.  Who knows what the future holds for those three guys, but what we can be pretty sure of is that the Devils will still be spending loads on forwards at that point.  

They could've even gone longer on a Greene contract - something like 30/7, with slight frontloading, encouraging an early retirement.  It's a decent contract and I'm glad Greene is signed for next year but I imagine there will be issues with this deal in the future.

If $5 million for Greene when the cap might be $85 million is going to stand in the way of signing Gelinas, Larsson and Merrill, it means that the intervening five years will have been very successful.  Or, you're getting into the realm of Blackhawks' problems, which I'll take any day of the week.  At worst, it'll be like Salvador's deal at the end, in that it's not really his salary that is getting in the way of doing something you would otherwise want to do, but that you feel compelled to play someone that's overpaid and past his prime over someone that might be better.

I'm also not clear how you can be so sure that the Devils will be spending a lot on forwards at that point, or what you even meant by that.  At the fifth year of Greene's deal, only Zajac is under contract.  Unless what you're getting at is that Lou will have had to shell out a lot of money for Henrique, and maybe some of the forwards that you would consider prospects right now (Matteau, Quenneville, Boucher).  But again, if Andy Greene's contract is what stands in the way of retaining those players, or even just makes it a little difficult, it means that the team will be very, very good at that point.

Edited by Daniel, 31 July 2014 - 10:05 AM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#120 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

wait, amateur question coming:

is the cap supposed to go up every year? or is it just once every several years?

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users