52 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

There will be no complaints from me regarding Lou.  Lou has given Pete all the pieces in order to succeed this year.  Lou has also taken on some risky contracts, but they were risks worth taking.  Cammy is the big risk for sure, and Schneider's contract can blow up very quickly. What the team does this year should have no bearing on how we grade Lou this offseason.  If the Devils do fail, Lou shouldn't be the target simply because he did do exactly what we wanted.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

One thing that sucks about Cammalleri is that he misses his fair share of games...seems like 15-20 or so has become a norm for him since 2007-08.  But Zubrus always had injury issues before he became a Devil, and now has played all 82 games in four out of seven seasons as a Devil, and played in 79 in another season, so who knows.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

W.R.T. Fayne, Lou did not chose to let him go. In fact Lou tried to keep him but he got a ridiculous contract from EDM. Larsson/Gelinas are Lou's second choice.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#24 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

It's the breath of fresh air that is exciting. I expect the Devils to have an excellent transitional game this coming season. All the defensemen, minus Salvador, can make great reads and move the puck by passing or with their feet. That takes a ton of pressure off the forwards from breaking the puck out of the zone. 

#25 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

W.R.T. Fayne, Lou did not chose to let him go. In fact Lou tried to keep him but he got a ridiculous contract from EDM. Larsson/Gelinas are Lou's second choice.

I definitely think this was the case, especially since fayne was a providence guy. Very solid second pairing guy but I think Lou felt that paying up for him wasn't worth it since it not only was but it in the high side, it would block a spot for one of the young guys moving forward.

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

I think Lou was willing to re-sign him but not for any more than 2 years.  Larsson/Gelinas aren't his second choice - those guys have to be on the roster this year regardless of what else happens - it's just that there isn't anything behind them that's at all proven.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,140 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

I don't think Fayne's deal was ridiculous at all. Just it was a contract that Lou couldn't give out.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#28 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

I don't think Fayne's deal was ridiculous at all. Just it was a contract that Lou couldn't give out.

what were the terms of faynes new contract?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#29 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

what were the terms of faynes new contract?

4 years, 14.5 milion

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=724768

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#30 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

i guess i couldve just looked on capgeek too..thanks, and i dont think that is a bad contract for fayne?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#31 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

i guess i couldve just looked on capgeek too..thanks, and i dont think that is a bad contract for fayne?

It isn't.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#32 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

Gonna agree that Fayne's contract is far from ridiculous. Stralman got $8M and one year more than Fayne did and they're comparable players.

Edited by ATLL765, 01 August 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#33 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

If Lou had matched that deal, there would be a lot of people out here using adjectives worse than that.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#34 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

People wouldn't be complaining about Fayne's deal, they'd be complaining about not buying out Sal and having Larsson go overseas and/or Gelinas be a healthy scratch because of the third year in a row with the logjam.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

If Lou had matched that deal, there would be a lot of people out here using adjectives worse than that.

Sure, but only because the Devils don't use Fayne all that much and they shouldn't be giving out a 4 year deal to a guy with Fayne's makeup when they have a lot of D prospects.  Someone's always going to consider any multi-year UFA deal an overpay.  If the Devils had the D they had in say, 2006, letting a guy like Fayne walk over a deal like that would be criminal.

Edited by Triumph, 03 August 2014 - 08:29 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#36 Unthinkable

Unthinkable

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

I'll miss the steady play of Fayne this season, but its time to give the youth on defense more responsibilities. Least concerned with Jon Merrill at this point. Hoping Larsson and Gelinas both have a lot more ups then downs.
"Look Hollom, its leadership they want. Strength. Now you find that within yourself and you will earn their respect. With that respect, true discipline goes by the board." -Captain Jack Aubrey

"Right, lads. Now I know there's not a faint heart among you. I know you're as anxious as I am to get into close action. But we must bring 'em right up beside us before we spring this trap. That will test our nerve. And discipline will count just as much as courage. The Acheron is a tough nut to crack. More then twice our guns. More then twice our numbers. And they will sell their lives dearly." -Capt. Jack Aubrey

#37 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:02 AM

im glad he did it but honestly i dont remember any mention of anyone saying he'd want to get Greene extended this summer? I really dont

www.SterioDesign.com

#38 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

im glad he did it but honestly i dont remember any mention of anyone saying he'd want to get Greene extended this summer? I really dont

He said it weeks ago before Schneider was signed but wanted to wait until Greene's wedding and honeymoon were done. He called it a priority along with Schneider.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#39 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,140 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

There is a difference between the Devils giving Fayne a contract like that with their defensive situation and another team that badly needs defense giving Fayne a deal like that.

Fayne at 4/$14m isn't a bad deal for Edmonton in my opinion.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#40 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

He said it weeks ago before Schneider was signed but wanted to wait until Greene's wedding and honeymoon were done. He called it a priority along with Schneider.

No no i was referring to the OP saying

What fans wanted- Lou to sign Cory Schneider and Andy Greene to contract extensions this summer

I dont remember anyone saying they wanted Green locked up this summer. Great move and all glad he did it. juste dont remember anyone saying it

Edited by SterioDesign, 05 August 2014 - 02:44 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users