52 replies to this topic

#41 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,512 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

I think a lot of Devils fans were so concerned about Schneider and what Lou might do in UFA that Greene's contract status probably wasn't first and foremost on most people's minds.  I think the player in particular has something to do with it too...Greene has come a long way and is definitely appreciated more than he's ever been in his Devils career (for making that kind of progress and becoming a reliable vet), but he's not the kind of guy people start worrying about early, the way they might about sexier/bigger names.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#42 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,444 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

Not to mention Greene did actually get to July 1 once already and re-signed with us.  So time wasn't as much an issue, though signing Greene was almost as important as Cory given the fact he's literally the only vet we have under contract after this year.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#43 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Not to mention Greene did actually get to July 1 once already and re-signed with us. So time wasn't as much an issue, though signing Greene was almost as important as Cory given the fact he's literally the only vet we have under contract after this year.

lets hope it was important because the plan is to not have salvador back after this season
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#44 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

lets hope it was important because the plan is to not have salvador back after this season

I really don't think LL is so enamored with Salvador that he'd re-sign him next year. Not with the excess of quality D prospects we have.

#45 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,773 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

NJ is going to have to sign/trade for someone this coming off-season, though.  I don't think they are letting Salvador and Zidlicky walk and filling those spots with rookies/2nd year players.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#46 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,801 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

NJ is going to have to sign/trade for someone this coming off-season, though.  I don't think they are letting Salvador and Zidlicky walk and filling those spots with rookies/2nd year players.

As long as there's not a dramatic drop in his play, you can count on Zidlicky being back.  Seems that the understanding is that he'll keep signing one year deals so long as Lou wants him back. 

I think at best Sal is getting one-year deals from now on.  The analytics people, not to mention ownership that seems to be interested in that stuff, are going to say that his only value at this point is that he's an experienced defenseman that will allow the team to ease in younger players.  If he's a bad as people say, he should be even worse this year. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,773 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

As long as there's not a dramatic drop in his play, you can count on Zidlicky being back.  Seems that the understanding is that he'll keep signing one year deals so long as Lou wants him back. 

I think at best Sal is getting one-year deals from now on.  The analytics people, not to mention ownership that seems to be interested in that stuff, are going to say that his only value at this point is that he's an experienced defenseman that will allow the team to ease in younger players.  If he's a bad as people say, he should be even worse this year. 

Zidlicky turns 38 in February.  Salvador turns 39 in February.  It's really hard to count on either guy being good enough next year to play.  Salvador could hold on as a 7th D I guess.  Either way I'd be shocked if both guys were back. 

#48 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

Zidlicky turns 38 in February.  Salvador turns 39 in February.  It's really hard to count on either guy being good enough next year to play.  Salvador could hold on as a 7th D I guess.  Either way I'd be shocked if both guys were back.

if one or the other has to be back next year i would really hope it would be zid over sal..there is no reason we need to have sal any longer
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#49 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

this makes sense but its so tough to tell without seeing how larsson, merrill and gelinas progress. while we are all high on them, i think it's safe to say that the season is going to start out with deboer leaning heavily on sal and zid and they will have to play their way down the depth chart while the kids play up.

if at the end of the year, you're seeing sal taking on anton's role this year of PK guy and 13:00 of 3rd pairing and zid is PP2 and 15:00 because the kids have stepped up, its possible that severson and/or santini are given a shot.

but even with that, there's still peter harrold's spot that needs to be dealt with so he could get more responsibility if he's resigned or another guy is brought in.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#50 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,773 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Santini is in college this year, he's not getting a shot unless it's at a frat party.

I don't think they will start out with a Salvador-Zidlicky pairing.  Could be wrong about that, but I don't think they'll start out that way.  I think both guys will be getting less ice time than they did last year.

#51 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Santini is in college this year, he's not getting a shot unless it's at a frat party.

I don't think they will start out with a Salvador-Zidlicky pairing.  Could be wrong about that, but I don't think they'll start out that way.  I think both guys will be getting less ice time than they did last year.

i think santini turning pro at the end of this year and making the team out of camp next year after two years at BC is highly unlikely also. now, after his junior year, that's more possible.

as for sal-zid, i may have given the wrong impression saying that i expected that to be a pairing (which i do not). i meant that they they will get plenty of ice time to start. i would expect pdb to shelter gelinas and larsson to start. i think merrill got entered into the circle of trust for pdb. gelly and larsson - not so much yet.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#52 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

what i really wish deep down is simply that Casey Jones is NOT wearing a NYR jersey in the next TMNT movie...

www.SterioDesign.com

#53 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

this makes sense but its so tough to tell without seeing how larsson, merrill and gelinas progress. while we are all high on them, i think it's safe to say that the season is going to start out with deboer leaning heavily on sal and zid and they will have to play their way down the depth chart while the kids play up.

if at the end of the year, you're seeing sal taking on anton's role this year of PK guy and 13:00 of 3rd pairing and zid is PP2 and 15:00 because the kids have stepped up, its possible that severson and/or santini are given a shot.

but even with that, there's still peter harrold's spot that needs to be dealt with so he could get more responsibility if he's resigned or another guy is brought in.

Its not a given that zid and sal are any more consistent defensively then these kids. that's why I thought losing fayne was a mistake. once you get past greene and maybe  Merrill, things get dicey defensively...Larsson is the key here..he needs to step up and be a force

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users