61 replies to this topic

#41 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

If you are referring to tv deals, I would think LA/Anaheim is the same as we have here where the providers carry all the teams.  Is there anyone here in NJ who can't get Isles games?  When I lived on LI, we got Devils games, as far as I know you get Devils games all the way out to Montauk.  

Yeah we get Isles games. I think Buffalo's the only odd man out that we don't get down here, despite them "sort of" being on MSG. I wouldn't mind catching some Buffalo games if MSG wanted to start carrying them; you'd almost be guaranteed live hockey on local TV 5-6 nights a week!

#42 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:53 PM

New article.  Interesting the route being taken by the NHL.

The NHL is counting on Nobel Prize winner Daniel McFadden to help fight a high-stakes lawsuit in which a group of hockey fans are trying to change the way NHL teams sell their broadcast rights.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/westhead-nhl-turns-to-nobel-prize-winner-to-fight-tv-lawsuit-1.134868
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#43 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

New article.  Interesting the route being taken by the NHL. http://www.tsn.ca/talent/westhead-nhl-turns-to-nobel-prize-winner-to-fight-tv-lawsuit-1.134868

nthanks for the link, very interesting case. This guy Noll is all over the place- highways, electric cars, NFL, NCAA. Geez.

It's a very interesting case- on one hand you have the nhl controlling the availability, but individual teams have potential profits being taken away as a result of it. Honestly these blackout restrictions are ancient and need to be wiped out- the world isn't the same place as it was in 1970 when blackouts were needed. Same thing goes for the other sports. It's time to enter the 21st century and make the games more accessible to everyone.

It's ridiculous how the other night I couldn't watch the devils game because they were on NHL network- a cable subscription, yet I pay the NHL 180 bucks a year to receive the games.

#44 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:44 PM

There's less here than meets the eye. He's an expert witness for the NHL in an antitrust suit, where, based on the judge's ruling, you need to have one.

As I noted earlier, this is a very pro-plaintiff judge, and one that likes headlines. (She was the same judge that held that the age requirement for the NFL draft was illegal in the Maurice Clarett case, and was subsequently reversed). I have a decent grasp of antitrust law, but am not an expert by any means. That being said, I think this is a case the NHL should win pretty easily, and will end up that way on appeal, if it gets that far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#45 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:48 PM

NHL's Gamecenter blackout policy is a joke.  They're way too restrictive, and games on the NHL network get blacked out even though they use Regional broadcasts on any NHL Network game.  This causes too many games to be blacked out.  I can't watch Flyers games on GC because I'm considered in the Philly market for whatever reason.  I'm in Sussex County.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#46 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

What I find interesting is that Noll is an economist. The fans are paying for a service and not getting it imo. He will be able to testify that the NHL will be hurt economically? I just don't get it. Guess it will be like "old Detroit" sooner rather than later. :(
Dew
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#47 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:53 PM

NHL's Gamecenter blackout policy is a joke.  They're way too restrictive, and games on the NHL network get blacked out even though they use Regional broadcasts on any NHL Network game.  This causes too many games to be blacked out.  I can't watch Flyers games on GC because I'm considered in the Philly market for whatever reason.  I'm in Sussex County.

If you have Comcast then you aren't in the Philly area. You are in NY area. I am in Hunterdon county. Same boat but then I don't care about watching the Flyers. :)
Dew
TIMEX RULES!!

#48 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:56 PM

If you have Comcast then you aren't in the Philly area. You are in NY area. I am in Hunterdon county. Same boat but then I don't care about watching the Flyers. :)

I'm in Hunterdon as well, but my understanding was that the blackouts on GC were based on a distance from the location. I could easily be wrong though since I've never had Gamecenter Live.

#49 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:03 PM

I'm in Hunterdon as well, but my understanding was that the blackouts on GC were based on a distance from the location. I could easily be wrong though since I've never had Gamecenter Live.

This is what I have been told by various Comcast reps when I call regarding blackouts. They always tell me that I am in NY area. I know that they base distance on air miles which is usually closer than land miles.
Dew
TIMEX RULES!!

#50 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:04 PM

This is what I have been told by various Comcast reps when I call regarding blackouts. They always tell me that I am in NY area. I know that they base distance on air miles which is usually closer than land miles.

Yeah, pretty sure it's "as the crow flies".

#51 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

I'm in Somerdale outside Cherry Hill and have Comcast.  Somerdale is actually southeast of Philly, certainly not closer to NY! And I would definitely pay for MSG and whatever other plus or 2 channels they have to get the Devs in HD if it were available down here.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#52 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:22 PM

If I were Harris and co. I'd definitely be rooting (quietly) for the NHL to lose this case. The Devils are vying for fans in a state smack dab in the middle of two major media centers each with an established team owned by a major local cable company. It is in the Devils' best interests for their games to be made available across the whole state of New Jersey (and beyond, but at the very least their whole home state--that should have been something McMullen got assurances of when he paid those territorial rights fees). Even though many south of the Mason-Dixon won't convert due to geographical proximity to Philly, the few that might want to should be able to access the games.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#53 oat77

oat77

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

I'm in Somerdale outside Cherry Hill and have Comcast. Somerdale is actually southeast of Philly, certainly not closer to NY! And I would definitely pay for MSG and whatever other plus or 2 channels they have to get the Devs in HD if it were available down here.

I'm in Cherry Hill. Just incase you didn't know, if you get Direct TV, you will get Devils game. It has all the MSG channels. And in HD.

"I love working for New Jersey," Burns said. "They've been great to me. They've supported me. (General manager) Lou (Lamoriello) is a godsend for me because he's looked after me, and I know I can stay close to hockey."

#54 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

Absolutely agreed.  It's a ridiculous policy.

I don't even get it - if I'm going to be streaming the MSG broadcast, I'm going to be watching the network's ads anyway. 

What the hell does it matter whether I watch the ads on TV broadcast or via a stream?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#55 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

I'm in Cherry Hill. Just incase you didn't know, if you get Direct TV, you will get Devils game. It has all the MSG channels. And in HD.

I have Comcast for the internet service, so I'm kind of tied to it. I work on Wall St. and need the reliability in order to work from home

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#56 oat77

oat77

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

I have Comcast for the internet service, so I'm kind of tied to it. I work on Wall St. and need the reliability in order to work from home

I have Comcast internet too, and Direct TV also. So it's an option if you want it.

"I love working for New Jersey," Burns said. "They've been great to me. They've supported me. (General manager) Lou (Lamoriello) is a godsend for me because he's looked after me, and I know I can stay close to hockey."

#57 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

Wow didn't realize we have so many other Hunterdon County (I live in Flemington) residents here. My gf is a Flyers fan so we looked into the whole Flyers-blackout thing. Basically they told us that Flemington is in an area with NY/NJ and Philly rights, so we can't watch games on GC or CI because of that. But our TV line is run from Hillsborough, which is strictly in the NY/NJ market, so it doesn't get CSN Philly either. We're basically in a Flyers dead-zone and ended up getting a HockeyStreams account to deal with it.

Edited by Colin226, 18 November 2014 - 03:38 PM.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#58 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:15 PM

I've considered buying Gamecenter, but since I live in Cleveland, both Pittsburgh and Columbus games are blacked out. That's 9 games this season.

Posted Image

#59 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

Wow didn't realize we have so many other Hunterdon County (I live in Flemington) residents here. My gf is a Flyers fan so we looked into the whole Flyers-blackout thing. Basically they told us that Flemington is in an area with NY/NJ and Philly rights, so we can't watch games on GC or CI because of that. But our TV line is run from Hillsborough, which is strictly in the NY/NJ market, so it doesn't get CSN Philly either. We're basically in a Flyers dead-zone and ended up getting a HockeyStreams account to deal with it.

I'm in Clinton, so we're practically neighbors. But yeah, in this area you're kinda screwed if you want to watch the Flyers. Too close to not be blacked out on GC & CI, but too far to get it on TV.

#60 Exit56

Exit56

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

pay for a vpn service, and "pretend" you're somewhere else.  It doesn't work on the apps because they require location services, but on a computer it works fine.

I still don't understand why the NHL can't work out something with the cable companies so we can watch our local teams by logging into our optimum/comcast accounts.  I can watch the Disney channel from my phone but I can't watch the NHL?  seems short-sighted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users