#1 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

http://sports.yahoo....-210037213.html

For those who hate Puck Daddy aka Greg Wyshynski or something here's the list to not click on it.

Team: 95-96

Player: Neil Brady

Moment: Neids leaving.

Transaction: Doug Gilmour Trade

Coach/ Executive: John MacLean

Fashion choice: No black jersey (aka we have always had good jerseys and only four of them so he had to make sh!t up)

#2 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Neil Brady:  Before my time.  I'd be lying if I said I knew why he was a disappointment.

Moment:  Arguable.  Kovalchuk, obviously an inferior player, leaving not even 1/4 way through his franchise contract was a more recent serious blow.  Although Neids leaving did bum a younger me out pretty badly.

Transaction:  Meh.  Lou doesn't lose many trades.

Coach:  Can't argue with that.

Fashion choice:  Pretty proud of the fact we're one of the few franchises that has minimally changed its jersey over its existence.  Also pretty please they haven't released some ugly Nike third jersey.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#3 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

To me Kevin Todd was disappointing after that big year.

Zelepukin after that eye injury.

Also the Gilmour transaction was the right move. I'd make it in a heartbeat again. We gave up solid players, but nobody to really kick yourself over. We won our cups without them.

Edited by '7', 15 August 2014 - 09:02 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

I remember being bummed about Neil Brady at the time, especially when he had a big year in Utica in 90-91 (96 points in 77 GP), and never saw it come together for him as a Devil.  Jason Miller was another notable bust from around that time, but sh!t happens sometimes. 

Both the 88-89 and 95-96 teams were rough.  For me, 88-89 was worse because (at the time) it felt like all of the progress made, as far as getting respect goes, went out the window, and it was back to being losers again.  Once again the Devils were some minor-league lil' curiosity, and I heard the f-word (fluke) thrown around by way too many of the opposition's fan that year.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#5 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

Game 6 of the stanley cup against the avalanche has to be up there for most disappointing moment. Quite a few of our forwards that were riding cold streaks broke out in the game 5 blowout. I was sure we were going to win heading to the arena the night of game 6 and it looked like it was going to happen for about 10 minutes...

#6 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

-Any of the '96/'97 thru '98/'99 teams

-Jon Morris/ Paul Ysebaert

-Friggin' Matteau

-Trade?  

-MacLean

- Go back to the Red/Green.  At least lose the black shoulders

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#7 William D'Aquila

William D'Aquila

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

I wouldn't say Ysebaert was disappointing, he was dealt too soon if anything. 

#8 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

I wouldn't say Ysebaert was disappointing, he was dealt too soon if anything. 

The Devils thought he would be a defensive liability in the NHL.  Suffice it to say it was quite a surprise when he went a combined +63 in his first two full seasons with the Red Wings (scoring 35 and 34 goals as well).  He didn't do very much after that, but the Devils definitely didn't get much out of the player they received for him (Lee Norwood).

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#9 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

Team: definitely the 1995-96 team. Let's be honest, the 95 team won the Cup, and a couple good bounces, they beat the Rangers in 94 and then slaughter Vancouver. A near miss in 94, Cup in 95, then you miss the playoffs?

Player: Listen, Nieds leaving sucked but you could understand it and he did it the right way. The wound is still fresh but I find if hard to believe there could be a bigger disappointment than signing Kovy as the top free agent in a long time, actually getting penalized for it (although it was essentially erased), and having him "retire". It was a long deal he wouldn't have entirely lived up to, but on a team where guys struggle to score 20 goals a year, it's a blow.

Trade: there are not a lot of bad trades made by LL. I can't think of one that made me think NOOOOOOOO! A lot of LL haters out there, but the guy is a hockey genius.

Coach/Exec: definitely Johnny Mac. Not sure he got an entirely fair chance, as his time was brief. But man was it bad!

Fashion: really? People have criticisms of a hockey team's fashion? I guess I'll say, no third jersey with an alternate logo (black primary color, no additional shoulder color, red and white stripes on sleeves/hem, skating Devil chest logo, and NJ logo shoulder patches? maybe a lace up collar?) This is not motivated by my need for "fashion", but my compulsion for buying hockey jerseys and my desire to find something new without wearing another team's jersey. I can only buy so many Devils jerseys.

#10 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Team: def 95-96 team

Player: Kovy

Moment: 2001 finals game 7. Hurts more than 94 IMO.

Trade: a few actually. Phil Housley trade, tikkanen trade are the two that come to mind.

Coach: Johnny Mac

Fashion: none really. I like how we don't have a dopey looking black 3rd jersey. Wish they would bring back the white retro though.

#11 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

I'm not old enough to remember 95-96, but what about 2010. That one hurt bad.

I've been outspoken about this team never adding a third jersey. The Devils win hockey fashion hands down. No disappointments at all.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#12 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:59 PM

He didn't do very much after that, but the Devils definitely didn't get much out of the player they received for him (Lee Norwood).

I saw Norwood score one of his rare (I think 3 Devil goals) at the old Boston Garden waaayyyy back then in '91.  1-1 tie

I recall there being many Devil fans there even way back then. Terrible sight lines if you had a sh*tty seat. But we moved down and we were practically on the ice.

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#13 smelly

smelly

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

I recall there being many Devil fans there even way back then. 

Yup.  I was one of them.

#14 William D'Aquila

William D'Aquila

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

What about Alexander Semak?

#15 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

What about Alexander Semak?

He was one of those guys who flourished under one particular coach (Herb Brooks), but didn't really do much for anyone else.  He was the key piece that helped the Devils land Shawn Chambers (who was the right guy at the right time in '95), so I can't really consider him a disappointment...he was simply a guy who didn't really fit with what Jacques Lemaire was trying to do. 

#30 FOREVER!

#16 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

He was one of those guys who flourished under one particular coach (Herb Brooks), but didn't really do much for anyone else.  He was the key piece that helped the Devils land Shawn Chambers (who was the right guy at the right time in '95), so I can't really consider him a disappointment...he was simply a guy who didn't really fit with what Jacques Lemaire was trying to do. 

Pretty much this.  Also I think a lot of Devils fans fall into the trap of just looking over past season's stats and seeing his 79-point season in 92-93 and think he was a stud.  That is incredible mis-leading as when put into context of that time, that season (92-93) had 21 players hit 100 or more points and his 79 points put him not even in the top 50 in the league in points.  If he had that number last year, he would be in the top 10-15.

Semak was a player who did well one year, but not exceptionally well by any means by that time-period's standards.  That's the Live Puck Era for you.

#17 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

Pretty much this.  Also I think a lot of Devils fans fall into the trap of just looking over past season's stats and seeing his 79-point season in 92-93 and think he was a stud.  That is incredible mis-leading as when put into context of that time, that season (92-93) had 21 players hit 100 or more points and his 79 points put him not even in the top 50 in the league in points.  If he had that number last year, he would be in the top 10-15.

Semak was a player who did well one year, but not exceptionally well by any means by that time-period's standards.  That's the Live Puck Era for you.

Yes, as we get further and further away from Live Puck, numbers have a way of looking much more impressive than they really were.  Point-per-game players were simply not that big of a deal in 92-93...15 out of 24 teams scored over 300 goals in 84 games, fourteen players scored 50+ goals, and 20 players finished with 100+ points.  Exactly five goalies finished with save%s of .900+, and two goalies finished with GAA under 3.00. 

When unknown poster was still posting here, he made a much bigger deal out of Peter Stastny's numbers with the Devils than was warranted.  If you compare his Devils numbers with 2014 standards, yeah, they look pretty good...against his peers at the time, not so much.

Though there was clearly some awesome offensive talent back then (Mario Lemieux averaged an insane 2.67 points-per-game that year), there was a serious dearth of good goaltending as well.  I've pointed it out before, but some of the better '80s goalies didn't really get that much worse in the 90s than they had been previously...the young goalies starting to come up were just better.   

http://www.hockey-re...93_leaders.html

The list really says it all, not to mention Hasek hadn't become Hasek just yet.  (Roy was OK for the time, but that wasn't one of his better regular seasons, especially for him...of course, in the playoffs he kicked it up about 10 notches and then some). 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users