#1 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

Behind the espn paywall, so I'll just list them in order:

Santini, Severson, Quenneville, Matteau, Boucher, Pietila, Jacobs, Kujawinski, Gavrus, Scarlett.  Honorable mention, Myles Bell.  (Larsson, Merrill and Gelinas all "graduated").

I can't argue with this too much, except that I don't know why Gavrus is on there.  He probably has even less of a shot as making it into the NHL than Tedenby has at returning at some point.  I can think of at least five players I'd put ahead of him.  Black, Johnson, Helegson, Hrabanka, Bell and Scarlett each have at least a decent shot at having more than a cup of coffee in the NHL, even if it's of the Nick Palmieri sort. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#2 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

Behind the espn paywall, so I'll just list them in order:

Santini, Severson, Quenneville, Matteau, Boucher, Pietila, Jacobs, Kujawinski, Gavrus, Scarlett.  Honorable mention, Myles Bell.  (Larsson, Merrill and Gelinas all "graduated").

I can't argue with this too much, except that I don't know why Gavrus is on there.  He probably has even less of a shot as making it into the NHL than Tedenby has at returning at some point.  I can think of at least five players I'd put ahead of him.  Black, Johnson, Helegson, Hrabanka, Bell and Scarlett each have at least a decent shot at having more than a cup of coffee in the NHL, even if it's of the Nick Palmieri sort. 

Good to see Pronman has a high opinion on Quenneville. Suprising that Black isn't on there considering he just torched the WHL, albeit as a 20 year old

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Good to see Pronman has a high opinion on Quenneville. Suprising that Black isn't on there considering he just torched the WHL, albeit as a 20 year old

You also have to take into account that it was the first season after he was cured of Graves disease.  Don't know how much it affected his play before that, but I imagine it wasn't nothing.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#4 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

You also have to take into account that it was the first season after he was cured of Graves disease.  Don't know how much it affected his play before that, but I imagine it wasn't nothing.

I do think that's a valid point but I also believe Pronman is kind of lazy when it comes to these things. Obviously the guy scouts pretty much everything so his focus isn't centered on NJ but having Gavrus on this list sort of illustrates that. Between his injuries and underwhelming production in the KHL, I don't think he's on most Devils fans' radar

Edited by SMantzas, 19 August 2014 - 10:30 AM.

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

I do think that's a valid point but I also believe Pronman is kind of lazy when it comes to these things. Obviously the guy scouts pretty much everything so his focus isn't centered on NJ but having Gavrus on this list sort of illustrates that. Between his injuries and underwhelming production in the KHL, I don't think he's on most Devils fans' radar

Overall though, he's probably the best game in town.  I think Hockey's Future has Wedgewood as the #2 prospect, and Urbom was somewhere in the top ten at the end of the season after the Caps put him on waivers.  Although I will say that HF has become a little less Ron Jaworski-esque in having more reasonable predictions of prospects on an individual level. 

Posted Image

#6 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,264 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Seems fair to me. Like you guys said, Gavrus probably shouldn't be on there but considering Pronman's workload I'll give him a pass. I always enjoy reading his work.

This is the first time that I remember reading Bell is a skilled puck handler. Hopefully he can improve his skating.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#7 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,734 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Gavrus is probably a 'seen-him-good' sort of evaluation - I know he was high on Gavrus last year.  But if it doesn't happen for Gavrus this year, I don't think he should be considered a future Devil or a prospect.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users