29 replies to this topic

#21 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

They are banking on the increased revenue from corporate sponsorships and suite sales to make up for whatever they lose by way of attendance.  Good luck to them with that. 

Sounds like a good idea to me. Don't underestimate how many local corporations/business are locked/pricked out of MSG. Similarly, there are companies that have corporate Yankees seats and there are companies that settle for the Mets. I have zero doubt that the Isles will get a huge boost from corporate sales, especially with all the companies that have opened up in Brooklyn the past 5 years.

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. Don't underestimate how many local corporations/business are locked/pricked out of MSG. Similarly, there are companies that have corporate Yankees seats and there are companies that settle for the Mets. I have zero doubt that the Isles will get a huge boost from corporate sales, especially with all the companies that have opened up in Brooklyn the past 5 years.

Err, that will maybe come to pass if the Islanders become a really, really good team.  As people have been noting, the place is just awkward for hockey.  Also, anecdotally anyway, since the 2008 crash, companies are becoming less and less willing to spend big money for sports tickets.  I'm not saying no companies will, but the area just has too many venues and clubs competing for even fewer corporate dollars.  No matter how hip Brooklyn becomes, very few companies are going to spend big money to see the Islanders just for the sake of going. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#23 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

I've been to the Barclay's for a bunch of events including the game last year. Every time I've sat in the lower bowl it has been a great experience.

That being said devsman is right about the upper bowl. I sat up there for a nets game and it was also extremely hard to see cause they barely had any lights on trying to get your seat and it was extremely steep.

#24 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

The shame of all this is that if everyone was a bit more flexible there was a really neat solution to the Islanders problem that never really was given thought: moving them over into CT and give a rebirth to the Whalers. They'd have been able to keep much of their Isles fan base while adding the orphaned Hartford Whalers peeps. Sure, everyone wanted them to stay on LI, but that has only sorta happened and they've had to settle for a long term attachment to a mediocre arena instead of getting something really made for them (not to mention potentially combining two passionate fan bases). Maybe I'm off base but I think this would've been a good idea.... Owell.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#25 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

The shame of all this is that if everyone was a bit more flexible there was a really neat solution to the Islanders problem that never really was given thought: moving them over into CT and give a rebirth to the Whalers. They'd have been able to keep much of their Isles fan base while adding the orphaned Hartford Whalers peeps. Sure, everyone wanted them to stay on LI, but that has only sorta happened and they've had to settle for a long term attachment to a mediocre arena instead of getting something really made for them (not to mention potentially combining two passionate fan bases). Maybe I'm off base but I think this would've been a good idea.... Owell.

Scratching my head on this logic.

My Isle fan friends can take LIRR to Barclays Center right from work. Hartford, not so much

#26 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

Scratching my head on this logic.

My Isle fan friends can take LIRR to Barclays Center right from work. Hartford, not so much

Gotta agree here. It's like 150 miles to Hartford from long Island. None of the current season ticket holders are gonna make that trip. Plus they wouldn't be the Islanders any more, so why would any Islanders fan rather that.

#27 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

There are more Ranger fans on LI than CT. The fact that they made it to the SCF while the Isles continue to suck also doesn't help. What happens when they move they still continue to suck while the Blueskirts remain a better team? They aren't gonna convert Rag fans in Brooklyn...Think that is what AEW is talking about...better for the team to star anew in a different state but in the tri-state area than moving into Ranger territory.

#28 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Hartford is very much Rags and Bruins (mostly bruins, prob like 70/30) but it can support a team. It's got an extremely wealthy suburban population. Hartford itself isn't very big but greater Hartford has enough people..and bleeds into Springfield Mass. It's just that it's not a very sexy chic city like Seattle or Vegas so it's very low on the totem pole right now.

Edited by '7', 31 August 2014 - 01:38 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#29 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

There are more Ranger fans on LI than CT. The fact that they made it to the SCF while the Isles continue to suck also doesn't help. What happens when they move they still continue to suck while the Blueskirts remain a better team? They aren't gonna convert Rag fans in Brooklyn...Think that is what AEW is talking about...better for the team to star anew in a different state but in the tri-state area than moving into Ranger territory.

Oh the irony

#30 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

Islanders have a surprisingly big "faithful fan base", so to speak, considering what the team has done for them in the past 30 years. I don't think relocating should ever be an option. I'm surprised to see people in the building in a late March game when they're bottom of the league, but they're there; they do love their team. A better 2-3 years, and the Rangers going back to their usual mid-level selves would restore the ebb and flow of the fanbase on Long Island.

During their playoff series 2 seasons ago, that building was the loudest most raucous arena on TV for the first round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users