Training Camp invites

caron14

It will be just as dire if Komisarek is the one to replace them. The thought of him and Salvador. Please suck in camp. If Kaberle makes the team, it will create issues if players are healthy. Competition is great, but not if it is isn't fair either. Even it is fair, and I guess there would be a problem if Kaberle outplayed Larsson, but is it worth possibly losing Larsson because Kaberle is a tiny bit better than him in for one year.

The forward spots just makes my head spin.

It's not just competition.  Imagine Lou invites no other D to camp.  Now someone gets hurt.  What do they do?  Roll with Harrold at #6?  Who plays the 7th defenseman then?  Or do they just put Severson in the NHL - obviously he can't be the 7th D, so he has to start.  What if he flops?   I thought the Devils would think about signing someone like Mark Fraser to play in Albany as a buffer between the kids and certain NHL play in case of injury.  The more I write about this, the more I'll be surprised if none of these D are signed - I'm hoping that Mamachev would accept a deal to play in Albany.  Komisarek seems like Salvador insurance, Kaberle is Zidlicky insurance.

EDIT:  I think the Devils are pretty good at figuring out D, Salvador aside - they realized that Matvichuk was done for in 2007-08 and they bought out White and Volchenkov a year before they had to but still at a good time.  Vishnevsky was gone after a year.

Edited by Triumph

Is there no chance that a guy like Kaberle would just accept a two way deal and start the season in Albany? That way severson isn't the first guy up as an injury replacement... Or do we not want to create a log jam in the ahl as well?

He's got almost 1000 games in the NHL and has a career waiting for him back in the Czech league.  Most guys in this situation just go back home.  Maybe he could try to catch on with another NHL team before he goes back.

He's got almost 1000 games in the NHL and has a career waiting for him back in the Czech league. Most guys in this situation just go back home. Maybe he could try to catch on with another NHL team before he goes back.

yeah you're probably right, I'm just thinking in Lou's ideal world he has another vet d waiting in the wings in case of injury or one of the youngsters blowing it.

heres a little interview with scott gomez.. we should all watch to see what this guys personality and attitude is really like.. seems to be a real D-bag..but than again i guess if i was washed up and came crawling back to my original team begging for a chance to play i might feel little too.

http://devils.nhl.com/?navid=nav-teamnav-njd

There are so many things I'm excited for when the puck drops on Monday and booing Gomez is definitely one of them. I will never be able to root for this guy.

There are so many things I'm excited for when the puck drops on Monday and booing Gomez is definitely one of them. I will never be able to root for this guy.

Same here, he got greedy left for the Rangers THEN the Habs... literally the 2 teams i hate the most. It was an incredible pleasure to see him crash and burn.

Not gonna boo him this year and i'll be happy if he someone contributes just like it was with Clarkson or will be with Cammalleri, i'll take what they give us but I simply won't be able to cheer for them lol

Why boo someone on your team? He left so long ago, it shouldn't even matter anymore.

With any luck he won't be on the team. However, if he does get a contract, I'm not gonna boo the guy and just hope he can contribute.

Gomez has 6 goals over the last 3 seasons. Admittedly, none of them were full seasons, but over 120+ games, that is definitely not impressive. And let's not forget the full calendar year that he did not score a single goal. I will be very surprised if he impresses people in camp. Probably even more angry if he makes the team, though.

Edited by nessus

heres a little interview with scott gomez.. we should all watch to see what this guys personality and attitude is really like.. seems to be a real D-bag..but than again i guess if i was washed up and came crawling back to my original team begging for a chance to play i might feel little too.

I guess people see what they want to see.  I think pk has the best description of him.  Goofy.  He can barely keep a straight face when joking with Matt.  He answered some questions seriously, he was joking around on others.  Not sure how you get d-bag out of that.  Not sure if you saw him on his first stint, but he does like to joke around.

i still think a properly motivated gomez could be an asset for this team.  He knows more than the other tryouts what is expected of him.  Then again, I do like the 3 lines that seemed to emerge today.  so not sure he would fit on an energy line and I would like to see jj get a shot.  He has had his moments but seems to get hurt when he gets going.  Gomez would certainly help the 2nd pp unit.  And with Marty gone, the more players that can carry the puck out of our end the better.

AS this team gets cut down,  will be interesting.

Joe

He always messes with Matt Loughlin, you can hear Matt cracking up too. They use to do this all the time when he was here.

Personally I still hope he doesn't make the team. I don't want to have to root for him.

I guess people see what they want to see.  I think pk has the best description of him.  Goofy.  He can barely keep a straight face when joking with Matt.  He answered some questions seriously, he was joking around on others.  Not sure how you get d-bag out of that.  Not sure if you saw him on his first stint, but he does like to joke around.

i still think a properly motivated gomez could be an asset for this team.  He knows more than the other tryouts what is expected of him.  Then again, I do like the 3 lines that seemed to emerge today.  so not sure he would fit on an energy line and I would like to see jj get a shot.  He has had his moments but seems to get hurt when he gets going.  Gomez would certainly help the 2nd pp unit.  And with Marty gone, the more players that can carry the puck out of our end the better.

AS this team gets cut down,  will be interesting.

Joe

Yeah, seemed like Gomez was just joking around.  Like I and others have said, he's a bit of a doofus, and the Devils seemed to know how to tone down his doofy-level better than anyone else. 

Another ex-Devil who probably wishes he didn't sign for the huge money with another team...oh well.

I think he's probably in the right place mentally to help the Devils out, but it seems like he's got next to nothing left.  It's been bad enough watching guys like Arnott and Holik come back and be shells of what they were (even when that was expected)...don't want to see it with Gomez either. 

I think the guy has suffered enough since leaving. You have to image he thinks back and asks himself "what if..."

I honestly wish him well, i don't necessarily want him on the team because I think he stinks but I wish him well.