245 replies to this topic

#21 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

Clemmer on a 2way makes him the definition of "whatever". Gomez on a PTO is also fairly innocuous because lots will have to go wrong for him to make the team even if he has a decent camp.

We'll disagree on your second point. If Gomez has a somewhat decent camp, I can see him making the team. Maybe it does work out, but there were a lot better options to improve the center position than bringing in Gomez. He's fairly limited in what he can do.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#22 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

gomez for 750k 1 year works in case Carter walks.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

We'll disagree on your second point. If Gomez has a somewhat decent camp, I can see him making the team. Maybe it does work out, but there were a lot better options to improve the center position than bringing in Gomez. He's fairly limited in what he can do.

What options will go away if they don't work out in camp?  I'm not even sure Gomez would play center, although I suppose he did play there for the Sharks and Panthers.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

gomez for 750k 1 year works in case Carter walks.

ah it all makes sense now.. lou has invited the amigo to camp on a try out so that carter sees this and has to take a lesser deal because he thinks that if he does not then he will be replaced with this bum..lou always has a master mind plan going :D
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#25 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

to be fair, gomez is far more entertaining. he trolled us for a good 6 years waiting to age like fine wine.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#26 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Used to be my favorite.  If he can still pass, he'll be ok.

#27 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Can't wait until he makes the team out of camp, taking JJ's spot.

Gomez as the 3C, little Gio as the 4C. Commerce NjDevs meltdown.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#28 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

And now TG reports that Kaberle will be in camp as a tryout.

Any other washed up vets we can bring in? Sheesh, I thought our roster was crowed before.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#29 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

And now TG reports that Kaberle will be in camp as a tryout.
Any other washed up vets we can bring in? Sheesh, I thought our roster was crowed before.

how much bad news can we get dumped on us in one hour.. thats what theyre going for right now.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

It's a tryout.  The idea is for the player to prove their ability.  The Devils have offered contracts to tryout players and they have not offered contracts to tryout players.

Also, Kaberle is not confirmed as an attendee of camp, just that he has a tryout offer.

#31 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

To those who don't like this decision to invite Gomez to camp and are getting upset and bitching about it...why? It's just a tryout. There is NO risk. He's either going to continue his rapid decline, in which case we simply move on and everyone will forget this even happened five years down the line, or he'll somehow re-kindle some of his old magic, in which case we give him a contract. It's really nothing to complain about. 

I like the move. If it pays off, awesome. If not, who cares? 

Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#32 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

Also, Kaberle is not confirmed as an attendee of camp, just that he has a tryout offer.

C'mon. 

Kaberle, 36, is hoping to return to the NHL and it’s all but official that he will be in camp with the Devils. - See more at: http://fireandice.no...h.fhYAFK77.dpuf

He actually called the Devils according to the article. I remember always wanting Kaberle back in the early half of the (last) decade. Not now though. "All but official" sounds to me like its more likely than not hes at camp.

Edited by ghdi, 27 August 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#33 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

I'd still like us to sign Gelinas, not too fussed on Carter.
I think going back to old washed up players isn't helping the team.
We're one of if not the oldest average team in the league and it's showing.

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

#34 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

I don't see a need for Gomez since we already have 14 signed forwards for the NHL roster and guys like Matteau, Boucher, and Sislo in the minors, Kaberle could be a decent pick up though. If he performs I wouldn't mind Kaberle as our 7th defenseman instead of Harrold.

25smul5.png

#35 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

It's good to have some semblance of competition at the outset of camp, we have a lot of veteran players who may feel like they're guaranteed a spot. Hopefully a hungry motivated Gomez pushes others too.

But I agree with tri, this seems like Lou just want to give a former devil one last chance for a job, even if it doesn't wind up with the devils, another team may see something they like.

#36 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

OMG. With his tail in between his legs the foolish Gomer returns. I hope his recent bouts with humility provide him with the inspiration to pay us back with renewed vigor.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#37 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

Its a tryout, he has not signed a big contract...

I think its great!

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#38 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

Kaberle is the Jagr effect.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#39 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Kaberle doesn't make sense unless one of these scenarios go down:

1) They trade one of the kids

2) They trade Harold

3) They give him a two-way contract

#40 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

You forgot 4, which is the most likely scenario - the Devils have an injury in training camp.  They don't have any backup if that happens - it's Severson and then a bunch of young kids.  I think Kaberle is there if A: there is an injury and B: Severson isn't better than him.  He'd basically play the Albelin role.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users