242 replies to this topic

#41 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

If Chico was still around I would love to hear his opinion on air about Gomez back in a Devil uniform.

#42 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

Kaberle doesn't make sense unless one of these scenarios go down:

1) They trade one of the kids

2) They trade Harold

3) They give him a two-way contract

You forgot 4, which is the most likely scenario - the Devils have an injury in training camp.  They don't have any backup if that happens - it's Severson and then a bunch of young kids.  I think Kaberle is there if A: there is an injury and B: Severson isn't better than him.  He'd basically play the Albelin role.

There's also the small matter of Gelinas not actually being signed yet.  If he's a holdout they'll absolutely need another body.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#43 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

Besides 05-06 Gomez has never cracked 20 goals. If he can still take the puck into the zone like he used to then he could possibly help. I'm not really all that mad about it.

This is the issue for me: if he can return to being just half the setup man he once was then I'd take it in a heartbeat. We are in desperate need in scoring and having someone who can set plays up is a huge part of that equation. Hopefully camp will show what, if anything he has left. If the tank is empty then pass, but if not then let's get whatever good he has left. As for the past I'm not angry either. I was when he left, but as others have written, he has been humbled so completely that it is difficult to be yet another person in the "told ya so" category. Sadly he and us would have likely been better served by him staying, but he didn't so that is that....
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#44 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

If Kaberle or Gomez makes the team, they'll be paid almost nothing and they will be there just to fill an empty roster spot, if there happens to be one.

It's not like they are giving Gomez Jagr's job. This is a total non-factor.

#45 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

If Kaberle or Gomez makes the team, they'll be paid almost nothing and they will be there just to fill an empty roster spot, if there happens to be one.

It's not like they are giving Gomez Jagr's job. This is a total non-factor.

i was thinking the same thing... Kaberle will fight for the 7th D spot (maybe he will beat HArrold)

Gomez i dont know... Maybe He will take gionta's spot... (If he play well) 

#46 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

i highly doubt gomez will take gionta's spot, he is a coaching staff favorite.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#47 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,006 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

I think tryouts for ex-Devils are different than say a tryout for Matt Darche, but usually veteran tryouts have led to contracts. Unless Scott Gomez has a really sh!tty camp, I expect him to get a deal. Lou had looked at bringing him a year or two ago. I don't think Gomez will have to do much to win a job.

I'm thinking ahead and seeing which player has to go with Gomez getting spot. It won't be Zubrus or Ruutu or Gionta. Those are guys who are judged differently than the Brunner or Josefson's of the world. Those are guys you don't worry about in traning camp or pre-season.

The forward position was crowded already before you add whatever Gomez brings, which probably isn't much. And, sure, you can say that those two didn't much either last year. Right, but if you want to upgrade, there were other ways to do it.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#48 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

if brunner loses his spot to gomez.. i mean my god, that would just be pathetic and sad... but than again if his 2 goals and 10 assists from last season is good enough to make our line up than our whole team is just sad.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#49 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,571 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

I think tryouts for ex-Devils are different than say a tryout for Matt Darche, but usually veteran tryouts have led to contracts. Unless Scott Gomez has a really sh!tty camp, I expect him to get a deal. Lou had looked at bringing him a year or two ago. I don't think Gomez will have to do much to win a job.

I'm thinking ahead and seeing which player has to go with Gomez getting spot. It won't be Zubrus or Ruutu or Gionta. Those are guys who are judged differently than the Brunner or Josefson's of the world. Those are guys you don't worry about in traning camp or pre-season.

The forward position was crowded already before you add whatever Gomez brings, which probably isn't much. And, sure, you can say that those two didn't much either last year. Right, but if you want to upgrade, there were other ways to do it.

No, they haven't.  The Devils gave these players tryouts in my memory:

Marcus Nilson, Adam Mair, Andrew Peters, Anton Stralman, Petr Sykora, Mathieu Darche.  Nilson, Stralman, and Darche did not get contracts.  In addition, the Devils signed Fedor Fedorov only to let him go after camp, and they signed Brendan Shanahan only to do the same.  People like Steve Bernier don't really count - Bernier got an AHL deal and worked that into an NHL deal.  Dean McAmmond did the same thing.

Sykora had to do a lot to earn a contract, imo.  He scored goals in scrimmages and in preseason.  I don't think he would've been handed a deal, and the Devils didn't give him a deal the next year.  People think they're no good at seeing when players are done, but they really aren't that bad at it.  What they're typically bad at is signing those players to long contracts in the first place.

Edited by Triumph, 27 August 2014 - 10:16 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#50 USAkid90

USAkid90

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

Meh on this signing (more of a tryout, but yeah).

I'm over hating him when he betrayed us to chase the money in rags land, but don't see where he fits. He's also DONE. 

#51 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,006 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

No, they haven't.  The Devils gave these players tryouts in my memory:

Marcus Nilson, Adam Mair, Andrew Peters, Anton Stralman, Petr Sykora, Mathieu Darche.  Nilson, Stralman, and Darche did not get contracts.  In addition, the Devils signed Fedor Fedorov only to let him go after camp, and they signed Brendan Shanahan only to do the same.  People like Steve Bernier don't really count - Bernier got an AHL deal and worked that into an NHL deal.  Dean McAmmond did the same thing.

Sykora had to do a lot to earn a contract, imo.  He scored goals in scrimmages and in preseason.  I don't think he would've been handed a deal, and the Devils didn't give him a deal the next year.  People think they're no good at seeing when players are done, but they really aren't that bad at it.  What they're typically bad at is signing those players to long contracts in the first place.

I counted Dean and Bernier, but I guess you are right. Albelin had a hang-on-we'll-find-a-spot-for-you situation for a year or two if memory serves me correct. Was Niedermayer a camp tryout or just a very late signing by the Devils?

As for Gomez, it really depends on what they are expecting. If Lou thought Gomez looked good against the Devils last year, well that player could make the team. But that's really not a good player.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,571 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

I counted Dean and Bernier, but I guess you are right. Albelin had a hang-on-we'll-find-a-spot-for-you situation for a year or two if memory serves me correct. Was Niedermayer a camp tryout or just a very late signing by the Devils?

As for Gomez, it really depends on what they are expecting. If Lou thought Gomez looked good against the Devils last year, well that player could make the team. But that's really not a good player.

It looks it went thus - Albelin was signed to a 2 year deal in 2001 (I think).  He played in 2001-02.  Then in 2002-03, NJ demoted him initially and kept Zyuzin, then they demoted Zyuzin and Albelin was back to being a 7th D.  In 2003-04, NJ signed Albelin to a tryout and then offered him an NHL deal at the end of that tryout.  In 2005-06, they signed him 3 days after Malakhov played his last game in NJ (i.e. in desperation).  Niedermayer was not a camp tryout; they signed him to a deal during camp.  They should've had him try out because he was awful.

The Devils don't have center depth behind their 5 guys.  Right now to me they have 5 NHL centers, 2 of whom really haven't proven themselves above a 4th line role:  Zajac, Elias, Henrique, S. Gionta, Josefson.  Beyond that, it is a total wasteland - it's either Zubrus or Ruutu, and Zubrus demonstrated he does not belong at center anymore in the NHL last year - or Sestito, Pelley, or goddamn Graham Black.  They are really up a creek if Zajac or Elias gets hurt for significant time.  Now I don't think Gomez is willing to sign a two-way deal, but he may not have a choice unless his camp goes spectacularly - if he's willing to play in Albany to start the year, provided there are no injuries at forward, I think that's a potentially good signing.  He'll be a placeholder in case of injuries.  I don't want him signed to a one-way with the notion that he will be getting NHL time out of the gate unless he really impresses at camp, which I find unlikely.

Edited by Triumph, 27 August 2014 - 11:30 PM.

#53 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:42 AM

I have to chuckle at the number of posters in here who see it as some foregone conclusion that he'll get a contract, same with Kaberle.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#54 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

I agree with Tri here. I think it's unlikely he impresses, but given our system and the like - I can see him getting something cheap tp play on the third or fourth line. Why not? For no money? Come on down. I had another thought, but it has escaped me.

#55 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, I'm done hating on Gomez. What his career has spiraled into is punishment enough, for someone who was a very likable player during his time here. If anything, it's a shame..

That being said, I hope he doesn't make the team and quietly fades out into the night.

#56 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

Gomez and now Kaberle has been talking with the Devils about a tryout... any other incredibly struggling player out there we could try?

www.SterioDesign.com

#57 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

Gomez and now Kaberle has been talking with the Devils about a tryout... any other incredibly struggling player out there we could try?

And yet one of the guys you complain about Lou losing (Sykora) made the team that way and did contribute, as we all know and as been pointed out in this thread.

That being said, I can't say I'm expecting much of anything from either player.  Gomer seems to be in the "started young/ending young" category.  Tri pointed out a while back how guys who play regularly starting at 18-20 years old have a way of being toast by the time they reach their mid-30s (if they play that long). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#58 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,006 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

I have to chuckle at the number of posters in here who see it as some foregone conclusion that he'll get a contract, same with Kaberle.

Well, seeing how they used Josefson last year, how much will Gomez have to show to beat out Jacob in training camp?

logokx.jpg

#59 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

Well, seeing how they used Josefson last year, how much will Gomez have to show to beat out Jacob in training camp?

Make it through camp without quitting?

#60 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,571 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

When you put it that way, you're right - given how poorly Josefson played, Gomez may not have to do much to beat him out.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users