207 replies to this topic

#101 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

i am happy he is getting a tryout. you never know and maybe he will be rejuventated. the playing for the rangers thing doesnt bother me. i dont hold grudges against sykora, holik, driver and maclean over it either

#102 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:53 PM

i am happy he is getting a tryout. you never know and maybe he will be rejuventated. the playing for the rangers thing doesnt bother me. i dont hold grudges against sykora, holik, driver and maclean over it either

Mac was already a team removed from the Devils when he went to the Rangers.  As was Sykora, who was traded to them, so how anyone could hold a grudge against Sykora is a mystery.

Driver, Holik, Gomez...what are you going to do?  The Devils got the best value out of all three of those players, especially since they weren't dumb enough to make the age-old GM mistake of playing good players like Holik and Gomez superstar dollars.  The funny thing is Holik's and Gomez's Ranger numbers weren't that bad...about in line with what they had done as Devils, really, but expectations rose to unfair levels by virtue of the Rangers' gross overpayment of both players. 

Those two got more money than they ever could've dreamed of...I can't kill them for it.  At the same time, I can't say I'll ever be a big fan of Gomez if he somehow makes the team...I know he's a bit of a doofus, but the Devils got a lot out of him and he got to be part of two Cup winners...I think he could've been a little more appreciative of that, instead of letting Sather say that the Devils didn't use him properly.  But who am I to question the genius that is Sather...his two-decade plan to bring the Rangers another Cup seems to be taking shape.  :rolleyes:

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#103 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:59 PM

I'm in the same boat about not really holding a grudge against him anymore. Hell I stopped holding a grudge against him a year into his Ranger contract as it was pretty clear by then he will never play anywhere near what he was being paid. He always seemed like the player who would do best under a well disciplined system and maybe now he has finally realized that. I see this signing as pretty much no risk and we could find our Sykora 2.0 this year or at worse we just be done with him for good with no mystery remaining:

#104 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:09 PM

I never loved him when he was here. He always seemed a little indifferent/lazy. Obviously can't prove it, but something about him rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't really embrace him enough to get hurt when he took the money, so I'll continue to kinda not like him. May the best man win, but I'm hoping Josefson blows him away.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#105 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:17 PM

im hoping he does not take a spot away from josefson or another one of our young guys that deserves to be in the line up, thats what my concern is this coaching staff is known to put in the old men over the younger guys and i dont want him slotted into a spot if he really shouldnt be. At this point iam guessing carter is not coming back, anyone hear anything on what his status in general is?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#106 Exit56

Exit56

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

At this point iam guessing carter is not coming back, anyone hear anything on what his status in general is? 

"Status Quo"

#107 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

At this point I think Carter is a goner.

Edited by DevsMan84, 02 September 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#108 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

I see the 3C spot up for grabs, assuming DeBoer doesn't put Henrique there.

I think Lou is bringing Gomez in for camp competition, but also to see what he has left. Assuming Josefson isn't a complete disaster in training camp/preseason, I think the job is his.  The first dozen or so games will be crucial.  If JJ flops then I could see Lou giving Gomez a call (if he feels Gomez can still contribute).

#109 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

I see the 3C spot up for grabs, assuming DeBoer doesn't put Henrique there.

I think Lou is bringing Gomez in for camp competition, but also to see what he has left. Assuming Josefson isn't a complete disaster in training camp/preseason, I think the job is his.  The first dozen or so games will be crucial.  If JJ flops then I could see Lou giving Gomez a call (if he feels Gomez can still contribute).

Gomez is not like bringing in a guy who was playing oversea or wtv. He was right here in the NHL the past few seasons and we saw what he was about

www.SterioDesign.com

#110 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

Scotty was my favorite Devils player (other than Marty) for a long time.  It was the first jersey I had as a kid (i'm 23).  I don't have it anymore..

BUT 

I'm not sure this is a good idea.  The guy just doesn't seem to have it anymore. 

Posted Image Posted Image

#111 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Scotty was my favorite Devils player (other than Marty) for a long time.  It was the first jersey I had as a kid (i'm 23).  I don't have it anymore..

BUT 

I'm not sure this is a good idea.  The guy just doesn't seem to have it anymore. 

It's just a tryout.  If he doesn't have it anymore, this experiment won't last long.  Lou's no dummy...he's seen the same numbers we all have, and they all point to Gomer having very little left.  It's on Scott to prove everyone wrong, or prove he can adapt to a different role.  If he can't, soyonara, no harm, no foul. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#112 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Looking at Gomer's numbers, the most surprising thing about it is how many games he has played.  He is very close to 1000.  That's quite a bit for a guy this age but would explain a lot of things.

#113 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

Gomez is not like bringing in a guy who was playing oversea or wtv. He was right here in the NHL the past few seasons and we saw what he was about

Yeah, he has sucked for the last 3,4 years, which is fair.  It's probably just a favor, but the guy still has speed and would probably help with zone entries.

#114 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,542 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

That's why this is a tryout contract.  If he sucks in camp, the Devils have risked absolutely nothing at all.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#115 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:48 PM

so is gomez try out have any connection to carters hold out?

Posted Image

#116 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:00 AM

How do you know Carter is holding out? Perhaps he's waiting on Lou to move some forwards and yet already have a deal in place?

Also, people are way overblowing this Gomez thing. It's a tryout, nothing more nothing less and if Gomez does indeed outplay JJ of a spot then I wouldn't feel bad for Josefson at all. He needs to step up and prove he can be an asset to the team for a change.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#117 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

meet me in Newark

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#118 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,715 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

Carter isn't holding out. He has zero leverage. He's a UFA. If a guy who made 800k is trying to hold out for, what, 900k, instead of finding another team, that's on him.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#119 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

Yeah, he has sucked for the last 3,4 years, which is fair.  It's probably just a favor, but the guy still has speed and would probably help with zone entries.

True.  I have seldom seen a guy break the opposing team's blueline with the ease Scott Gomez used to do it with.  He was one of the best!

#120 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:44 PM

meet me in Newark

Well, I guess he wasn't lying, it just took a while for him to get here lol.

Edited by ATLL765, 03 September 2014 - 10:45 PM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

6 members, 4 guests, 1 anonymous users