Photo

Are the Devils breaking an old tradition?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#21 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

Mogilny was a much more established player at that point than cammalleri is now

#22 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority here and maybe it's because in just used to it, but I like the no high numbers thing. I think it goes along well with the team first philosophy.

If that's the case, just assign everyone a number under 35 and don't let them choose at all. Letting guys "keep" their number only if it's under 35 is arbitrary and stupid.

And letting #22 sign with the team and keep his number but telling #44 he has to change unless he's famous does not do anything toward enforcing a "team first" philosophy. It actually kind of says the bigger your ego and your profile, the more privileges you get.

Edited by mfitz804, 31 August 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#23 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,418 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

And Moginly wore # ?

They make exceptions for HOF'ers, not guys like Camm
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#24 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

I can see him getting 23

believe-zubrus.jpg

#25 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

They make exceptions for HOF'ers, not guys like Camm

They shouldn't. What should count is if they can contribute to the success of the organization.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#26 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:21 AM

I kinda like the way they do it with low numbers. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#27 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:27 AM

They shouldn't. What should count is if they can contribute to the success of the organization.

Which cam hasn't proved yet either.

#28 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:09 AM

eh, a number is just a number. who cares what number they wear as long as they play for what's on the front

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#29 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

I see Camm wearing number 9 or maybe 25 or 21.  I agree with the people saying that the low jersey numbers is a Lou-like team first mentality and I love it personally.  It's taking this idea that no player is above the team.  Lou giving HOF'ers or proven players their traditionally favorite numbers is a consideration for those players.  Saying to them that you identify with this number and you've earned it.  Is that fair? Maybe not, but it's hard to argue that Mogilny. Jagr, and Richer didn't deserve to get their numbers with their careers they established. 

I like the current system, but I'll always agree that the front part of the jersey is a lot more important.  

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#30 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

I'm surprised Lou finds 13 unlucky considering he is an italian american.

..even crazier given the fact that our first Stanley Cup Championship came in our 13th season as the Devils.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#31 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

It's a stupid tradition anyway. They should let guys wear whatever available numbers there are.

Signed, a guy whose hockey number was 13 as a kid.

It could open up Pandora's Box a bit. If he lets Cammy wear the number he wants, why not let everyone else do the same.  He has to stay consistent.  Also, Cammy is an EMPLOYEE of the Devils.  Therefore he should wear what he is given, period. 

#32 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

You can bring up Moginly in conversations like last year with Jagr. Guys like Ryder and Cammalleri are not Richer, Jagr, Mogilny or Gilmour.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#33 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority here and maybe it's because in just used to it, but I like the no high numbers thing. I think it goes along well with the team first philosophy.

how is it not team first to have numbers higher than 35 please explain. 

Edited by SterioDesign, 01 September 2014 - 05:08 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#34 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,138 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

Ya i really don't get that. I think it's just something Lou doesn't like to do and it's still in his control.

Clearly it doesn't matter to plenty of other teams and they have no issues winning.

#35 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

Some see high numbers as a self-promotional, "look at me" entity, and that such numbers represent a "me-first" mentality.  I remember Ottawa some time ago deciding to do away with the big numbers temporarily in '98 (Alexandre Daigle had to swap his #91 jersey for a #9. Radek Bonk went from #76 to #14, Stan Neckar went from #94 to #24, etc), but they've since done away with that. 

I don't think there's a right or wrong, but I do like the fact that the Devils will allow the Jagrs, Mogilnys, Gilmours and Richers to wear the numbers that they're well-known for, and that the no-high number rule isn't fully set in stone.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#36 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

Ya i really don't get that. I think it's just something Lou doesn't like to do and it's still in his control.

Clearly it doesn't matter to plenty of other teams and they have no issues winning.

I don't know...Pitt with Crosby at 87 and Malkin at 71 have really stood out because of the numbers they wear and not the play on their ice. Same with Kane in Chicago or Carter in LA or Subban in MTL.

Numbers don't make players stand out. Their play on the ice does. And one of Lou's mantras is "our best players need to be our best players". Numbers don't make anyone above the team. But other things do, and even though Brodeur wore a lower number, his history, skill, reputation gave him the ability to do things that others have never been able to do with this team do...be it have opinions have that wouldn't fly if anyone else said it, or decide when he would be taking a night off in the past.

These aren't things I have an issue with by the way. But Lou's lame rules are getting old. I wonder what would happen if a player really felt it was important to wear #13. 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#37 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,418 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:51 PM

Fans care more about numbers than most players do imo.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#38 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

But Lou's lame rules are getting old.

I think a lot of things are going to change once he retires.  I don't think a lot of his traditions will be carried on...I have nothing to base this on, just a gut feeling.  I think these owners have a great respect for Lou and will allow him to do things his way...as long as the team succeeds on the ice.  But I don't think he's going to get forever to build another winner, and I think once he either leaves voluntarily or is actually shown the door (with this ownership, I don't think he has an endless leash, in spite of the overall track record), there's going to be a lot of shake-ups.  I won't be surprised to see "modernized" uniform within a few years after he's gone, for starters.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#39 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:09 PM

Fans care more about numbers than most players do imo.

I'm confused. You read multiple times a year about players paying 5 figures to get a jersey number from a new teammate after signing or being traded. A lot of athletes are superstitious, and the number they wear has meaning and is important to them.

As a fan, what is your interest level in what number a player wears other than making sure you are buying a jersey with the right number on it?

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#40 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

Because those numbers are unnecessary. There's not more than 35 guys who will play for the team in a given year so why have numbers higher than that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users