Photo

Are the Devils breaking an old tradition?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#41 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

It could open up Pandora's Box a bit.

Pandora's Box? Oh yeah, all he'll would break loose if everyone got yo choose their own one or two digit number!

#42 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

Because those numbers are unnecessary. There's not more than 35 guys who will play for the team in a given year so why have numbers higher than that?

Many reasons, i'm not really 100% against it either. I just think it's annoying at time. Kind of ridiculous that we can remember some of our players going through like 3-4 differents numbers with the same team in only a few seasons or within the same season. I mean... If for a reason or another someone wants a Josefson jersey... well fvck what number are you getting? Then you have guys like our young D who has higher number but might switch number once someone else is gone. You get a game worn jersey and then that player ended playing most of his career with another number... etc etc

I get the whole "you play for the front logo" and all, its great and all (if you choose to pick that point of view). But from another point of view some can see it as "you're just an expendable asset to the team here, once you're out the next guy up is getting your number." Which is not a bad point of view either.

like i said i'm not against it but as a marketing point of view for jerseys and sh!t it's kind of annoying and restraining yourself for nothing really

plus as dumb as it can be, for some players their number is REALLY important. It followed them all their life and it may mean something really important to them and then you get to NJ and it's like. sorry buddy you can't have 40 you're 23 now, deal with it. I mean it's absolutely no big deal, they are professionals but at the same time, why being so strict if there's absolutely no possible negative to it? it's just another old school stubborn rule really

Edited by SterioDesign, 01 September 2014 - 09:12 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#43 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:55 PM

Many reasons, i'm not really 100% against it either. I just think it's annoying at time. Kind of ridiculous that we can remember some of our players going through like 3-4 differents numbers with the same team in only a few seasons or within the same season. I mean... If for a reason or another someone wants a Josefson jersey... well fvck what number are you getting? Then you have guys like our young D who has higher number but might switch number once someone else is gone. You get a game worn jersey and then that player ended playing most of his career with another number... etc etc

I get the whole "you play for the front logo" and all, its great and all (if you choose to pick that point of view). But from another point of view some can see it as "you're just an expendable asset to the team here, once you're out the next guy up is getting your number." Which is not a bad point of view either.

like i said i'm not against it but as a marketing point of view for jerseys and sh!t it's kind of annoying and restraining yourself for nothing really

plus as dumb as it can be, for some players their number is REALLY important. It followed them all their life and it may mean something really important to them and then you get to NJ and it's like. sorry buddy you can't have 40 you're 23 now, deal with it. I mean it's absolutely no big deal, they are professionals but at the same time, why being so strict if there's absolutely no possible negative to it? it's just another old school stubborn rule really

I don't think the devils themselves really obsess about the numbers thing. I think the ones with the biggest issue is with fans who want to have a jersey that is accurate to number that the player has.
I mean with josefson I doubt when either last season or the one before he was really bent out of shape when he briefly lost 16 to D'Agostini and he wore 9. He was probably just happy he was playing at this point instead of being scratched or sent down to albany. I think a lot of devils fans get bent out of shape when they get a jersey only for it to be inaccurate shortly after. However I always found people who take chances on getting jerseys made for players who aren't well established at all and at risk of being sent down or traded to be pretty foolish (game worns not included for obvious reasons).
Therefore I know there is going to be some sucker who will take the chance of buying that #13 cammy jersey because he doesn't know about the superstition with Lou or that they want to take the chance to be that hipster guy who has something before anyone else.

#44 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

If he wants it, GIVE IT TO HIM!

Posted Image Posted Image

#45 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Don't get jerseys of young players who haven't made the team permanently.  That's just a smart decision in general for any team.  And sometimes a guy will change his number - Zubrus changed from 16 to accomodate Holik, Fayne from 29 to accomodate Clowe, and so on.

As for veterans and numbers, I agree, it's really not a big deal, and certainly Lou has let plenty of guys have numbers higher than 30 - no one seems to count Steve Thomas here but he was allowed to keep that one, and Michael Ryder probably should've been allowed to keep 73.  Still, for rookies, it makes some sense that a young player has no control over that.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#46 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

I'm surprised Lou finds 13 unlucky considering he is an italian american. 

This^^^^

And Cammalleri being somewhat Italian (probably, far enough in his bloodline, considering his Italian last name), I always assumed it was a good luck number for him. Like you said, 13 is good luck in Italy.

#47 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

This^^^^

And Cammalleri being somewhat Italian (probably, far enough in his bloodline, considering his Italian last name), I always assumed it was a good luck number for him. Like you said, 13 is good luck in Italy.

According to the story, one of the old equipment managers had the #13 fear, and it just kind of was passed on in the organization. I don't think Lou has a fear of it as much as he's just upholding the tradition.

Personally, I just look at high numbers as one of the things we'll see that will make the next GM seem special. There will be good and bad when Lou moves on, and I really don't think he's going to be around too much longer, whether by his choice or ownerships.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Don't get jerseys of young players who haven't made the team permanently.  That's just a smart decision in general for any team.  And sometimes a guy will change his number - Zubrus changed from 16 to accomodate Holik, Fayne from 29 to accomodate Clowe, and so on.

As for veterans and numbers, I agree, it's really not a big deal, and certainly Lou has let plenty of guys have numbers higher than 30 - no one seems to count Steve Thomas here but he was allowed to keep that one, and Michael Ryder probably should've been allowed to keep 73.  Still, for rookies, it makes some sense that a young player has no control over that.

Never made much out of Steve Thomas' 32 because you had guys like Zdeno Ciger and Reid Simpson wearing 33.  Pat Conacher wore 32 for a while too as a Devil (1988-92).  Bernie Nicholls wanted to wear 98 when he came here, but Lou told him no. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#49 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

I think the no numbers above 30 was somewhat symbolic for Marty after a while.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#50 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

the nhl should retire #30 league wide

pandoras box haha

Posted Image

#51 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:59 AM

which goes against the team first thing and play for the front logo thing

www.SterioDesign.com

#52 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

which goes against the team first thing and play for the front logo thing

The only problem with that theory is that plenty of people wore numbers over 30 while Marty was playing here. It was usually #35 that Lou stopped at with occasional goalies wearing 40, so it had nothing to do with Marty. 

Only 4 players have worn over 40 in the Lou era while roughly 26 have worn #'s 31-40. It's just one of Lou's old school things that will be gone in the next couple of years. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#53 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

While i love how it's keeping an "oldschool feel" to the organisation, the only problem i have about all those "rules" Lou has is that it's really unnecessary and it's pushing it a little and it could rub players the wrong way sometimes. He's not doing it cause it's bringing positives, he's just doing it cause he's stubborn and it has to work his way. They are professionals and while it's not a big deal, why not let them feel more free, they can only be happier at the end of the day. 

What's wrong with having a beard... having a high number... not taping the top of your stick super tick....tweeting... having more interaction with fans... etc etc

Most of those rules have close to no negative consequences on their play which is what should be important.

To Lou's credit, he traded his "regime" to his players with success. So of course they buy it and stick with it happily. I could see it changing when the team is not doing well though cause 1- you're not happy you're not winning. 2- you see your friends on other teams having success while being more free without all those rules. It "could" be yet another thing that makes you consider other options when you have a chance. 

but anyway, hopefully we'll be winning now and simply went through a rough patch so this is all irrelevant 

www.SterioDesign.com

#54 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

it doesnt make much sense at all as far as the interaction with fans and social media thing goes, i can understand lou not wantingg any of his players to say something that may embaress themselves or the organization or giving away information, but theyre supposed to be professionals, that shouldnt be a concern. I would only have to think that having more interaction from the players would help to grow the fan base, even last season during the tv show leading up to the stadium series all of the other teams got to see some cool behind the scenes footage and we got nothing, that sucked a little bit.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#55 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

it doesnt make much sense at all as far as the interaction with fans and social media thing goes, i can understand lou not wantingg any of his players to say something that may embaress themselves or the organization or giving away information, but theyre supposed to be professionals, that shouldnt be a concern. I would only have to think that having more interaction from the players would help to grow the fan base, even last season during the tv show leading up to the stadium series all of the other teams got to see some cool behind the scenes footage and we got nothing, that sucked a little bit.

That's not true.  We got to see Marty slopping down meatballs at a restaurant in Montreal shortly before embarassing himself at the SS game.

#56 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

it absolutely should be a concern because we've seen it happen all over.  Even McKenna gave away the fact that someone was injured.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#57 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

it absolutely should be a concern because we've seen it happen all over.  Even McKenna gave away the fact that someone was injured.

well than if someone leaks out information that isnt supposed to be public that should be handled on the side. If more player interaction and fan involvement is going to help grow this fan base why wouldnt new ownership want that?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#58 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

well than if someone leaks out information that isnt supposed to be public that should be handled on the side. If more player interaction and fan involvement is going to help grow this fan base why wouldnt new ownership want that?

im with you on that one. It's like taking an approach of not letting your kids play outside AT ALL cause they may get hit by a car. Instead of simply teaching them to pay attention and not play close to the street. I mean yeah. OF COURSE it's gonna work but you know.

It's always better when both parties have an understanding of what's the line not to cross than one side being completely forbidden of something in fear that something bad happen. That's not freedom.

www.SterioDesign.com

#59 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

im with you on that one. It's like taking an approach of not letting your kids play outside AT ALL cause they may get hit by a car. Instead of simply teaching them to pay attention and not play close to the street. I mean yeah. OF COURSE it's gonna work but you know.

It's always better when both parties have an understanding of what's the line not to cross than one side being completely forbidden of something in fear that something bad happen. That's not freedom.

When players sign the contract, they know exactly what they are getting into.  They have the freedom not to sign with the Devils.

#60 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,177 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

not taping the top of your stick super tick...

I've never heard this one before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users