Photo

Are the Devils breaking an old tradition?

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,367 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

It was soooooooooooo important to him that he chose to sign with a team that clearly wasn't going to allow it.  So what do you think SD...do you really think Cammalleri is going to sulk about not getting #13?  Do you think it's going to affect him on ice? 

DM84 said it perfectly...he's got 25 million reasons not to care about a friggin' number on the back of his jersey, and if it DID matter to him THAT much, I think he could've found another team that would've allowed him to wear #13.  It's only an issue if you're looking for something to bash Lou over.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#122 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

It was soooooooooooo important to him that he chose to sign with a team that clearly wasn't going to allow it.  So what do you think SD...do you really think Cammalleri is going to sulk about not getting #13?  Do you think it's going to affect him on ice? 

DM84 said it perfectly...he's got 25 million reasons not to care about a friggin' number on the back of his jersey, and if it DID matter to him THAT much, I think he could've found another team that would've allowed him to wear #13.  It's only an issue if you're looking for something to bash Lou over.   

Okay listen princess. Did i say that it was gonna affect him, did i say he won't be able to sleep at night? Do i think he's willing to let go of that number to please his new boss? yes. Thats fvcking all. It's again another unnecessary "rule". 

It doesnt take anything away that It sucks that a player who cares about a number that much had to let it go and can't wear it because of no reasons. It's not cause another player had it, cause it was a retired number, it's because it's an "unlucky number" and Lou doesn't like it.

Edited by SterioDesign, 16 September 2014 - 08:35 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#123 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,367 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

Okay listen princess. Did i say that it was gonna affect him, did i say he won't be able to sleep at night? Do i think he's willing to let go of that number to please his new boss? yes. Thats fvcking all. It's again another unnecessary "rule". 

It doesnt take anything away that It sucks that a player who cares about a number that much had to let it go and can't wear it because of no reasons. It's not cause another player had it, cause it was a retired number, it's because it's an "unlucky number" and Lou doesn't like it.

If it didn't drive Cammalleri away and he didn't have a problem with it and it's not going to affect him, then why make anything out of it at all then?   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#124 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

It's clearly important cause i watched many interviews he did in his apartment where 13 is EVERYWHERE and where he talked about his number 13 and how that number followed him all his career and how it was a special and significative number for him. thats how.

Again if there was a GOOD reason not to give him the number, fine. but there's none. absolutely none. 

But again it wasn't that big of a deal for him not to sign here.

Anyways just my opinion but some players get too carried away with their numbers.  Just be happy you are in the NHL and playing a game and getting paid millions to do it.  Again this is just my thinking.

#125 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

Wrong. That number has never been used by the Devils, going back before Lou was even here. It goes back to McMullen and the earliest equipment staff. That's a tradition that began when Cammalerri was in diapers. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#126 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

If it didn't drive Cammalleri away and he didn't have a problem with it and it's not going to affect him, then why make anything out of it at all then?   

Again, you ask the question to protect Lou's way. But if you turn it around and take a step back and forget who's involved. Look at it.

"Should a player be allowed to wear the # he likes if it means something to him if the # is available? and if doesn't affect his play in any possible way?" and he can't... why?

It's one thing to have rules like, can't go out the night before a game, can't talk to the media on game day, don't drink booze 2 days before a game... god knows. Thats understandable, but the beard and numbers and all. Thats simply stupid. If it wasnt Lou's rule you'd agree with me too, especially if Sather would do sh!t like that in NY, he'd be the laughing stock.

Edited by SterioDesign, 16 September 2014 - 09:15 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#127 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

Again, you ask the question to protect Lou's way. But if you turn it around and take a step back and forget who's involved. Look at it.

"Should a player be allowed to wear the # he likes if it means something to him if the # is available?" 

It's one thing to have rules like, can't go out the night before a game, can't talk to the media on game day, don't drink booze 2 days before a game... god knows. Thats understandable, but the beard and numbers and all. Thats simply stupid. If it wasnt Lou's rule you'd agree with me too, especially if Sather would do sh!t like that in NY, he'd be the laughing stock.

I think you are reaching a bit there.  You don't think Sather was a laughing stock for terrible signings (Gomez, Drury, Redden, Frolov, Zherdev, Lindros, traded for Bure, Fleury, etc.) as well as failure for pretty much the first 10 years of his reign but think he would be a laughing stock over not allowing beards?

#128 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

"Should a player be allowed to wear the # he likes if it means something to him if the # is available?" 

Once again, this isn't Lou just doing it. There has NEVER been a 13 on the Devils stretching back before Lou was even here. I don't know why you keep ignoring that. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#129 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

there's no point arguing with you guys. I'm done. Lou could himself draw a dick on Jagr face for every single game and force him to play like that and you'd still find a way to make it sound like its right. Done.

www.SterioDesign.com

#130 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,367 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

I am not "protecting Lou's way".  No one's way is absolutely perfect, and there's no one way that is ever going to have universal appeal.  It's like I've told you, I accept Lou for who he is, and that his way has brought this fanbase considerable success. 

Your "Should a player be allowed to wear the # he likes if it means something to him if the # is available?" premise doesn't apply here because the number ISN'T available.  The DEVILS (not Lou, the actual DEVIL FRANCHISE) choose not to issue it and never have.  End of story.

Teams have different rules.  It's not like the Devils are the only sports franchise that have a no-facial hair rule and don't issue every last number from 1-98.  Some teams used to have a "everyone must have a certain dress code" before boarding flights.  Just because you don't agree with a certain team's rule set doesn't automatically make them stupid by default.  I remember a young Andre Agassi once calling the people in charge of Wimbledon "bozos" because they require players to wear white clothing only.  Agassi came off like an immature wanna-be rebel, and no one agreed with his stance.  The rules are what they are, and if you don't like them, no one is forcing you to take part.  And there's not even a case here...we have yet to have a player say "I didn't sign with the Devils because they wouldn't let me look like Grizzly Adams and wouldn't let me wear number X."  And even with the number rule, we've seen exceptions made for Gilmour, Mogilny, Richer, and Jagr...it's not like it's this hard and fast rule (though it clearly is with #13).  But again, the rule is what it is, and the Devils couldn't care less what anyone has to say about it, and they don't have to...their team, their rules.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 16 September 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#131 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,367 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

there's no point arguing with you guys. I'm done. Lou could himself draw a dick on Jagr face for every single game and force him to play like that and you'd still find a way to make it sound like its right. Done.

Not for you there isn't, because you usually wind up on the losing end of these things as people attempt to explain to you alternative viewpoints that are better rooted in making sense and you end up looking foolish over and over again (notice how this keeps happening to you).  And then you usually exit the conversation with a teenage-level retort like the one above when it doesn't go your way.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 16 September 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#132 dmon2010

dmon2010

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

It's clearly important cause i watched many interviews he did in his apartment where 13 is EVERYWHERE and where he talked about his number 13 and how that number followed him all his career and how it was a special and significative number for him. thats how.

Again if there was a GOOD reason not to give him the number, fine. but there's none. absolutely none. 

That's what I was saying. Supposedly there's a reason, but no one knows what it is. 

Ha.

#133 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

SD, there's a definite pattern here. You come in guns-a-blazing, people use logic to point out flaws in your argument, then you act like you're being attacked and suddenly you're above it.

And again.... the Devils didn't have a #13 BEFORE LOU WAS HERE. It's only a Lou issue to you.

#134 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

Didnt he wear #93 no questions asked for a few seasons when someone else had #13? Its really not a big deal.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#135 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

Let me just say, if you had said Salvador, I would totally be in favor of this. 

#136 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

I'll say that in high school baseball, a kid one year ahead of me always took #26 because older players go first when picking.. I still did alright, making varsity sophomore and junior years with #36, but my senior year I finally got #26 and my game happened to improve considerably.. Hit .403, almost broke the school record in doubles, and made All-Conference.. I'm not saying it was the number, but it might have been the number :P

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#137 BostonNala370

BostonNala370

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'll say that in high school baseball, a kid one year ahead of me always took #26 because older players go first when picking.. I still did alright, making varsity sophomore and junior years with #36, but my senior year I finally got #26 and my game happened to improve considerably.. Hit .403, almost broke the school record in doubles, and made All-Conference.. I'm not saying it was the number, but it might have been the number :P

Congrats, it wasn't the number it was you !!!!!!!!!!!! Did you go further, like college baseball?

#138 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

No one's way is absolutely perfect, and there's no one way that is every going to have universal appeal. 

since its still pre pre season

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users