#1 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,043 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:12 PM

Shall we?

This isn't a thread for your ideal lineup. Just educated guesses to what we actually see come opening night and how we got there.

20 Forwards left:

The 9 that are 100% safe:  Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr, Zubrus-Elias-Havlat, Clowe-Henrique Ryder  x  x  x     x x

The 1 that is 99% safe due to his contract: Ruutu

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu x  x

x x

The 1 that is 90% safe due to Pete and Lou's love: Gionta

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  x

x x

The 1 that is only here to keep the locker room loose and to remind Pete and Lou of that when they eventually call him up in November for no reason but say it is because of that: Cam Janssen (Cut)

The 2 that are impressing the staff, but it just makes sense to have them start the season in the AHL: Matteau and Boucher

Boucher is making things tough for the staff, and if this was another year and another camp, he would in NJ to start the season. Crazier things have happened. Bergfors had such a good camp in 2009 that it sent Shanahan packing. One more great pre-season game, and he really might complicate the matter, but in the end, I see the AHL for him. There isn't such a rush and the Devils have options. There is a good case to make that he deserves to be here.

The 1 that never should have been signed and will most definitely be put on waivers after Lou perhaps makes some calls for him:  Bernier

The signing was weird at the time. It never made all that much sense. Too many better options at the moment. Don't think Lou will have that big of a problem with him making 600K in the AHL.

The 1 that they have some faith in and has had a good enough camp to make the team: Brunner

He's done enough. They know they can scratch him. A good player to throw in the top 9 if there is an injury.

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  Brunner

x x

Okay two more spots to go, and this is where I see two distinct battles taking place:

Gomez vs Josefson: The redemption narrative has been in full force. I've read some mixed reports, but it seems everyone within the organization has liked what they have seen from Scott. I bet he might get two more looks, and any added offense in the final pre-season games, and the return becomes official.

I have not seen Jacob play, so I can't say much. I know the organization sees something in him. He might really need to impress in his final game(s). If he doesn't, I could see the team trying to sneak him through waivers. He probably does too.

Carter vs Tootoo: I'm of the belief the organization wants someone with some grit/energy/drop-the-gloves-ability, especially with Clowe being told not to. I don't think Carter is much of a fighter, but he's there. Tootoo has impressed so far, and I think as of now he has a small lead over Carter to make the team.

So as of now, with 6 days to go: My predictions are:

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  Brunner

Tootoo Gomez

What the 4th line will actually be is anyone's guess right now.

AHL: Bernier, Josefson, Boucher, Matteau, Janssen

Out of the organization: Carter

Edited by devilsrule33, Yesterday, 11:46 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#2 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted Today, 12:55 AM

Good speculation here. I also don't know if there will be a place for Carter here, which really sucks since he was the most valuable part of CBGB.

The only part I disagree with is Josefson going to the AHL. For some reason, I get the idea that the organization sees something they like in him, and they aren't willing to lose him on waivers. So I don't think he'll make it on that fourth line to start, but I do believe he'll take one of the extra forward spots over Tootoo.

And I just don't want Gomez on the team. It's too bad we didn't get to see his big game, but it looks like they're inclined to give him a shot. Who knows if the goals were anything more than being in the right place at the right time. But that's important too, I guess. He did not impress me at all during the games that I watched. Pretty nervous to see if he'll be in the last two preseason games, to be honest.

How likely do you think it is that we see a trade within the next week?

#3 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,786 posts

Posted Today, 07:33 AM

a trade would be marvellous cause first i think we have a lot of interchangeable parts that can be turn into assets even if it's not much. Then it would help the situation obviously and make it more obvious on who stays and who goes. and it could free some cap space which is always a good thing.

If Matteau and Boucher are NOT on the starting lineup i think they are the perfect call ups cause they are both really different and depending on who's out, they can replace either kind of players with them. I don't think it's worth sitting a vet and scratch him game after gam and fvck around with him until there's a spot, that sh!t always play on their mentality and eventhough some players deals with it perfectly it can affect some, in the way that when they finally get their chances they are too nervous to make a mistakes and go back or they want to do too much to prove themselves. Confidence is HUGE in sports, HUGE. Anyone that played sports knows it. And being scratch and going up and down all the time "can" be a challenge for someone's development or performance.

So basically i'd rather see a guy filling a role and seeing it as a promotion or a step forward / opportunity (Matteau and Boucher) rather than a struggling vet who lost his spot kind of.

www.SterioDesign.com

#4 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,262 posts

Posted Today, 08:32 AM

Josefson has a 2 year, one way deal. I think he makes the team.

I think Bernier gets sent down, Carter is signed and Tootoo and Gomez are told to play the waiting game for a couple of weeks to see if injury or ineffectiveness creates a space for them.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#5 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted Today, 09:04 AM

I have to think carter has gotten some sort of assurance from Lou that he'll be taken care of. Surely he could have other opportunities if he wanted to take them.

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,692 posts

Posted Today, 09:14 AM

Shall we?

This isn't a thread for your ideal lineup. Just educated guesses to what we actually see come opening night and how we got there.

20 Forwards left:

The 9 that are 100% safe:  Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr, Zubrus-Elias-Havlat, Clowe-Henrique Ryder  x  x  x     x x

The 1 that is 99% safe due to his contract: Ruutu

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu x  x

x x

The 1 that is 90% safe due to Pete and Lou's love: Gionta

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  x

x x

The 1 that is only here to keep the locker room loose and to remind Pete and Lou of that when they eventually call him up in November for no reason but say it is because of that: Cam Janssen (Cut)

The 2 that are impressing the staff, but it just makes sense to have them start the season in the AHL: Matteau and Boucher

Boucher is making things tough for the staff, and if this was another year and another camp, he would in NJ to start the season. Crazier things have happened. Bergfors had such a good camp in 2009 that it sent Shanahan packing. One more great pre-season game, and he really might complicate the matter, but in the end, I see the AHL for him. There isn't such a rush and the Devils have options. There is a good case to make that he deserves to be here.

The 1 that never should have been signed and will most definitely be put on waivers after Lou perhaps makes some calls for him:  Bernier

The signing was weird at the time. It never made all that much sense. Too many better options at the moment. Don't think Lou will have that big of a problem with him making 600K in the AHL.

The 1 that they have some faith in and has had a good enough camp to make the team: Brunner

He's done enough. They know they can scratch him. A good player to throw in the top 9 if there is an injury.

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  Brunner

x x

Okay two more spots to go, and this is where I see two distinct battles taking place:

Gomez vs Josefson: The redemption narrative has been in full force. I've read some mixed reports, but it seems everyone within the organization has liked what they have seen from Scott. I bet he might get two more looks, and any added offense in the final pre-season games, and the return becomes official.

I have not seen Jacob play, so I can't say much. I know the organization sees something in him. He might really need to impress in his final game(s). If he doesn't, I could see the team trying to sneak him through waivers. He probably does too.

Carter vs Tootoo: I'm of the belief the organization wants someone with some grit/energy/drop-the-gloves-ability, especially with Clowe being told not to. I don't think Carter is much of a fighter, but he's there. Tootoo has impressed so far, and I think as of now he has a small lead over Carter to make the team.

So as of now, with 6 days to go: My predictions are:

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  Brunner

Tootoo Gomez

What the 4th line will actually be is anyone's guess right now.

AHL: Bernier, Josefson, Boucher, Matteau, Janssen

Out of the organization: Carter

This pretty much, except I would add Josefson instead of Tootoo, at least to start the season.  You have the snot forwards in the starting lineup (Clowe and Ruutu) so you can give Josefson another shot at things.  Gionta seems like the type of guy you could move over to the wing to make room for Gomez, who can only play center.  I think Gomez gets a Bernier type one year deal, starts off as a scratch, and will come in if the powerplay gets off to a terrible start or if the offense is as putrid as it's always been.  

Also, Tootoo seems unnecessary in that Matteau can probably fill the same role when/if the time comes. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#7 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted Today, 09:24 AM

Watching all (televised) pre-season games, what does everyone think of Matteau? Lou and DeBoer have mentioned that he and Boucher have made it difficult to cut them but I think we all know neither is going to start the year in NJ. 

21 user(s) are reading this topic

8 members, 12 guests, 1 anonymous users