92 replies to this topic

#81 themightyall

themightyall

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted Today, 11:34 AM

The problem with actually trying to put a real Devil face on the front of a jersey is that just about every design of it is either going to look cartoony or become dated within four or five years.  It's the relative simplicity of the NJ with horns (and the fact that it ties in with New Jersey) that's allowed that logo to remain relevant, without ever looking silly.  I can't think of a single actual Devil face (or full-bodied version) that will ever remain timeless, or come close to having universal appeal.  They'll all likely be a "love it or hate it thing", no matter how they're depicted. 

I agree completely with this.  I will always want to never have a real 3rd jersey but one thing that I would like that would maybe even only be for a one-year thing is the actual original drawing of the actual "New Jersey Devil."  It wouldn't be cartoony, it would look old but it would just be a one time thing.  Plus it makes it feel like a reference that the locals can enjoy.  Otherwise, I would hate the constant revolving 3rd jersey that gets renovated every year.

#82 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted Today, 11:47 AM

Remember that our name comes from the Jersey Devil, not any kind of satanic or hellish figure. To try to depict it outside of any of the renderings of the actual Leeds Devil would be silly.

Over the past half decade or so, more and more teams in every league are returning to simpler traditional designs as these sleek 90's-2000's ones become outdated. We could be safe. They did do a redesign in Philly with the Sixers, and aside from the Ben Franklin alternate, they stuck with the traditional design.

BillyWitchDoctor.com

2014-2015 TRFHL Patrick Division Champions

#83 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts

Posted Today, 12:37 PM

Sure, I'd be fine with a tweaked or evolved "classic" NJ logo, along the lines of what's shown above.

But I was more curious to see what you'd come up with if the franchise goes 100% Brave New World on us and decides to make the horned/pointy-tailed NJ either permanent secondary logos or to do away with them entirely.  Basically, if you had to design your version of a Devil (either the Satanic or Pine Barren version, or even a hybrid of both...your choice). 

ohhhh well then i'd have to think about it for awhile lol logos are the "worst" thing to design cause they take so long but clients all think you just go and draw directly what you present them. there's hours of sketching, brainstorming, researches that goes in even before you go on the computer. Then you go through all your concepts and tweak them a bunch and go through all your variations and pick the best few to present. It's a long process that again most people don't really realize.

So in this case i'd do a huge research in all pro sports logos to see what's out there so that you don't do something that is already done. then play with a bunch of elements and structures and do a few completely different concept. Can't really say on the spot what i'd do honestly lol

www.SterioDesign.com

#84 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,342 posts

Posted Today, 01:16 PM

ohhhh well then i'd have to think about it for awhile lol logos are the "worst" thing to design cause they take so long but clients all think you just go and draw directly what you present them. there's hours of sketching, brainstorming, researches that goes in even before you go on the computer. Then you go through all your concepts and tweak them a bunch and go through all your variations and pick the best few to present. It's a long process that again most people don't really realize.

So in this case i'd do a huge research in all pro sports logos to see what's out there so that you don't do something that is already done. then play with a bunch of elements and structures and do a few completely different concept. Can't really say on the spot what i'd do honestly lol

I definitely wasn't expecting you to just whip something up in a few minutes.  Graphic design isn't done with a finger snap (my mother was a graphic designer for 10 years before she wound up doing other things.  She loved it, but it was hard work and then some). 

Remember that our name comes from the Jersey Devil, not any kind of satanic or hellish figure. To try to depict it outside of any of the renderings of the actual Leeds Devil would be silly.

Over the past half decade or so, more and more teams in every league are returning to simpler traditional designs as these sleek 90's-2000's ones become outdated. We could be safe. They did do a redesign in Philly with the Sixers, and aside from the Ben Franklin alternate, they stuck with the traditional design.

The bolded was touched on earlier in this thread.  The Devils franchise itself hasn't really done much to promote the Pine Barrens version.  Look at the Lowell Devil.  Or the Devils' Den logo.  Do they look like they have much, if anything, to do with the Jersey Devil?  The name may have come from the Pine Barrens version, but just about everything the Devils have come up with since then suggests the Satanic variant (in a cartoonish way).  Even both mascots (including Slap Shot the Fondler) were clearly not influenced by the old legend.  Most New Jersey natives couldn't even tell you anything about the "real" Jersey Devil to begin with.

Anyway, this could be much ado about nothing, but anything truly Devil-related is going to be bold (I can't how a Devil head or full Devil can possibly be understated or subtle), and yesterday's bold, exciting, and different can become tomorrow's dated and cheesy in a hurry.  Though the red-and-black Sabre jerseys seemed kind of cool when they came out, it turned out that their originals were the ones with the staying power.  The red-and-blacks and the Buffa-slugs were nothing more than detours (though the Buffa-slug road was definitely afflicted with more potholes).  I would hate to see a Devil logo that gets a 2-3 "fan endurance" run, only to see the old logo come back (see:  Fishsticks).  Basically, if the franchise decides to do this...be DAMNED sure it's going to fly.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, Today, 01:49 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#85 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted Today, 03:45 PM

I definitely wasn't expecting you to just whip something up in a few minutes.  Graphic design isn't done with a finger snap (my mother was a graphic designer for 10 years before she wound up doing other things.  She loved it, but it was hard work and then some). 

The bolded was touched on earlier in this thread.  The Devils franchise itself hasn't really done much to promote the Pine Barrens version.  Look at the Lowell Devil.  Or the Devils' Den logo.  Do they look like they have much, if anything, to do with the Jersey Devil?  The name may have come from the Pine Barrens version, but just about everything the Devils have come up with since then suggests the Satanic variant (in a cartoonish way).  Even both mascots (including Slap Shot the Fondler) were clearly not influenced by the old legend.  Most New Jersey natives couldn't even tell you anything about the "real" Jersey Devil to begin with.

Anyway, this could be much ado about nothing, but anything truly Devil-related is going to be bold (I can't how a Devil head or full Devil can possibly be understated or subtle), and yesterday's bold, exciting, and different can become tomorrow's dated and cheesy in a hurry.  Though the red-and-black Sabre jerseys seemed kind of cool when they came out, it turned out that their originals were the ones with the staying power.  The red-and-blacks and the Buffa-slugs were nothing more than detours (though the Buffa-slug road was definitely afflicted with more potholes).  I would hate to see a Devil logo that gets a 2-3 "fan endurance" run, only to see the old logo come back (see:  Fishsticks).  Basically, if the franchise decides to do this...be DAMNED sure it's going to fly.   

The Buffaslug tried to do too much with a single symbol: Incorporate the B, the Sabre and Buffalo all into one. Hell you needed it to be explained to you with highlighted pictures to even freaking see the damn thing. Almost no one in Buffalo had any idea about the "hidden" parts and universally hated that ugly sweater.

We cannot go that route...

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#86 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,503 posts

Posted Today, 03:59 PM

Not terrible: Devils_crop_north.png?w=630&h=420&q=75

This isn't bad, but i like the way Team Canada does it better. I'd also rather it say DEVILS. But there is also the worry that its too similar to the Rangers jersey:

7405551770_6b7d381a94_o.png

100yr_jersey_redoriginal_154959.jpg

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

sundstrom jersey signature

“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#87 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted Today, 04:11 PM

I really don't like either.  The first remind me too much of the now former Arizona Coyotes uniforms and not in a good way at all.  I always felt their uniforms and the new San Jose uniforms looked too much like practice jerseys with the non-existant and/or minimalist colors and hem striping patterns.  Plus anything outside of a handful of teams like Detroit do not look that great with the 2-color palate.

The second, black uniform is a little better but I really don't like the route of basically copying the Rangers design.  Tampa, Ottawa and Colorado have already done that and none of them are really impressive.  Honestly if you swapped out the diagonal design with the outline of the state of NJ it would be a lot better in my eyes.

I am still firmly in the camp where I have yet to see a Devils 3rd jersey concept that I liked.

#88 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted Today, 04:23 PM

I really don't like either.  The first remind me too much of the now former Arizona Coyotes uniforms and not in a good way at all.  I always felt their uniforms and the new San Jose uniforms looked too much like practice jerseys with the non-existant and/or minimalist colors and hem striping patterns.  Plus anything outside of a handful of teams like Detroit do not look that great with the 2-color palate.

The second, black uniform is a little better but I really don't like the route of basically copying the Rangers design.  Tampa, Ottawa and Colorado have already done that and none of them are really impressive.  Honestly if you swapped out the diagonal design with the outline of the state of NJ it would be a lot better in my eyes.

I am still firmly in the camp where I have yet to see a Devils 3rd jersey concept that I liked.

I would actually love to see that.  White state, with Red outline on Black Jersey? 

Posted Image

#89 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted Today, 04:28 PM

I would actually love to see that.  White state, with Red outline on Black Jersey? 

I would actually like to see both to see which one I like better.  Either white state with red trim or red state with white trim.  I think the white state with red trim would work better just visualizing it in my head.

#90 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,211 posts

Posted Today, 05:18 PM

The site logo was 100 percent based on the legend, wings and all. I would buy that third jersey.

#91 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted Today, 05:19 PM

I've always said the only third jerseys I could stomach would be the retro(s) made into permanent alternates, or if they were going to do any redesign, something simple and traditional with the state.

But stomaching isn't supporting, or even tolerating. I'm afraid the fan base is getting a little too liberal with the idea of a third jersey now that Lou's gone, and ownership may find the climate favorable enough to do it now with every Devils chat outlet flooding with these disgusting mock ups.

Adding both green jerseys as alternates would let them sell more shirts, as the white ones obviously haven't been produced in how long, and would retain a shred of our traditions and integrity.

BillyWitchDoctor.com

2014-2015 TRFHL Patrick Division Champions

#92 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,608 posts

Posted Today, 05:57 PM

Hey! You got it! Yea... A more modern version of that (or simply reintroducing green into the logo) would be sweet

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#93 themightyall

themightyall

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted Today, 06:12 PM

The site logo was 100 percent based on the legend, wings and all. I would buy that third jersey.

I would too.  I wouldn't be caught dead in a lot of these concepts of jerseys.  That would be a great logo if we had to go to a 3rd jersey.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

6 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users