• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 11:53 PM

:blink: Wow! Could the Avs bad start be taking some of the rose coloring out of the glasses at ESPN?

#22 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 11:54 PM

Or just hypnotize him again.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#23 SBT

SBT

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 11:54 PM

Heh. Heh.
ESPN plans to air Engblom's public apology sometime tomorrow on Sportscenter.

#24 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,429 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 11:56 PM

The hurry-up face-off is hurting the Avs for 2 reasons, first they always liked to mill around, see who was out there & set up the play (apparently that was a big part of Hartley's strategy). And second, they would delay & delay to get their top guys some rest and they could have extra-long shifts. Now they have to go to the bench & get some rest like regular humans. Apparently, not only does it cut down on their ice time, but it hurts their flow (somehow I can't work up much sympathy here).
Then there's the clutching & grabbing...Engblom actually ADMITTED that the Avs did it as much as anyone else (that's right, head to your bomb shelters, the apocalyspe IS near). He claims the d-men got lazy & stopped doing things like reading the plays because the opposition was slowed down in the nuetral zone. So now they have to get used to doing it again and, (poor babies) the forwards aren't coming back to support them.
In case I didn't mention it before, I have no sympathy for these guys. Welcome to the brave new NHL - do your friggin' job, Blake & Co.

Oh this is too funny for words :lol:

The Rangers, Leafs AND Avs all struggling...and the Devils still at 8-4. Doesn't get much better than that at this point in the season :)
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#25 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:37 AM

:blink: Wow! Could the Avs bad start be taking some of the rose coloring out of the glasses at ESPN?

Oh no...at least when I listened they were saying "WOW! that Nashville is a fast team" Like it was supposed to be a decent match up or something - maybe it was just my selective listening... The Avs looked baaad. Maybe they're just tired from playing too long in the playoffs two years in a row :P

I'm here for the party

#26 Yeah, I suck

Yeah, I suck

Draft Pick

• Suspended
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 10:52 AM

Maybe they're just tired from playing too long in the playoffs two years in a row :P

like the Devils?
Professionally banned.

#27 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:27 AM

They don't have a story this year, if they did, ESPN would be up their ass.

00/01 - Ray Bourque

01/02- Defending Champs/Forsberg's Return

02/03 - ???
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#28 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:30 PM

Maybe they're just tired from playing too long in the playoffs two years in a row   :P

like the Devils?

Posted Image Yes YIS, that's exactly what I was saying. I'm pleased you picked up on it. Sublty is a wonderful thing. Seems funny I of all people should be writing that but, you know, one would never know how truly sublte I am!

SIDEBAR:
This is a riot -- check out this aggressively belching smilie! I LOVE it!!
Posted Image

I'm here for the party

#29 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:31 PM

They don't have a story this year, if they did, ESPN would be up their ass.

00/01 - Ray Bourque

01/02- Defending Champs/Forsberg's Return

02/03 - ???

They were trying for the trying to re-gain the cup like the Devils used last year... :rolleyes:

I'm here for the party

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:38 PM

ESPN is probably bitter that they won't get to show the 89 Little League World Series clips anymore, now that Chris Drury has been banished to the Northern Wastes.

I'm really going to miss them.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#31 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 01:06 PM

I was so busy being happy about it, that I didn't even consider the reasons for it.

OK, so right now you've got Forsberg struggling. I don't think he's scored in a few games (but I'm not tied to the stats, so please don't shoot me if I'm wrong).
Do you think the Avs fans are calling for Foppa to be traded like some Devils fans are through minimal games this year re: Elias or Nieds?

I think we're WAY too quick to jump on guys who are struggling. Esp. when other parts of their game ARE working.
Yes, we need Elias to score. And we'd love Nieds to score. Obviously, they know it, we know it, the guys who sweep up at CAA know it.
But I'm not willing to give up key pieces of our unit, because of struggling. Right now, I'd say it's up to Burns to help the guys out who are struggling. As the coach, you figure out how to best work with your players (some want coddling, some need tough talk, some need -- hell I don't know I'm not the coach) and then you get the most out of them.

We have a LOT of talent on this team. We have talent on our team capable of doing things that guys in the league aren't. And while it's not showing it offensively, it is showing defensively (I'll just call Edmonton an aberration for the moment).
---
The Post dispelling myths???!! (First time for everything.)

Elias says he doesn't wonder why the A-Line was broken up and his linemates were traded. "What good would it do for me?" he asked.

#32 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 01:29 PM

The hurry-up face-off is hurting the Avs for 2 reasons, first they always liked to mill around, see who was out there & set up the play (apparently that was a big part of Hartley's strategy). And second, they would delay & delay to get their top guys some rest and they could have extra-long shifts.

Yeah, I heard someone call this the "Bob Hartley rule" cause he's infamous for that.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#33 Devil Dog

Devil Dog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 02:09 PM

4 wins
4 loses
4 ties
40 GA
40 GF

You have to give them credit for being consistent.
George Martin and Son should be shot for what they did to The Beatles.

The Eagle picks my eye, the worm he licks my bones.
Feel so suicidal, just like Dylan's Mr. Jones.

Is this heaven? No its Iowa.

#34 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 02:27 PM

I think DM said it best. They can't clutch and grab anymore.

That's what they get for trading away Chris Drury. He's a clutch player and is already proving that in Calgary.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 03:50 PM

He's right, it's all Chris Drury.. that's why they've given up 40 goals in 12 games..

There is so much more at work than losing a 25 goal forward.

#36 Yeah, I suck

Yeah, I suck

Draft Pick

• Suspended
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 03:54 PM

He's right, it's all Chris Drury.. that's why they've given up 40 goals in 12 games..

There is so much more at work than losing a 25 goal forward.

Wait a sec, I thought Morris would provide Colorado with one of the best defenses in the league... :rolleyes:
Professionally banned.

#37 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 04:06 PM

Beyond Morris Foote and Blake there is nothing. No way DeVries repeats, and Skoula hasnt played well at all since being a rookie. No depth at d, add in scoring woes, and its not too hard to see why they are doint hot.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#38 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 04:07 PM

If Engblom is right, and the forwards aren't helping on defense, they're in a lot more trouble.

Plus, none of the Avs defensemen are particularly fast.. Blake, Morris, and Skoula have better than average speed, but Foote, DeVries, and Muir are not particularly quick. Especially Muir and DeVries.

Methinks the Avs might've traded away Drury too quickly, but it's more likely that they've just made too many changes since the Cup year..

Getting Morris was the right move. Everyone will begin to question it, but the ones that are are the standard practioners of fallacious logic.. i.e. the media. If any of them put thought into their work instead of looking for simple causes.. well, this is a problem all over, so I'll cut this rant short.

#39 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 04:13 PM

Is it possible that ESPN overrated Morris?????
Nahhhhh...couldn't be. :evil:

Seriously, though, people were saying that the enforcement of the obstruction rules was going to be a real problem for Foote. Looks like they were right, what I don't think people expected was that Blake would have issues as well.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#40 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 04:18 PM

Why would ESPN overrate Morris?

The guy has played in Calgary for his whole career. I think every year ESPN forgets they're a team until Colorado plays them.

Morris is going to be a #1 defenseman in this league and he is talented on both sides of the puck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users