Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:31 PM

http://www.faceoff.c...News217457.html
By JOSH BROWN
Faceoff.com

Patrik Elias, New Jersey Devils: It looks like itís going to be a long, hard year for this former 96-point player. Everything seems to be working against Elias in New Jersey and heís sensing the frustration. Coach Pat Burns is very strict and isnít afraid to bench Elias at will for his lack of production. The Devils are barely scoring two goals a game and prides itself on being defensive. Not good for the offensively minded Elias. Heís already starting to talk about wanting out of New Jersey. Put that all together and itís no surprise that Elias only has five points this season.

Has anyone heard any thing to say this is true? Other than the stuff where he was quoted saying he is uncomfortable playing with his linemates that is. I can't say it is completely shocking but I find it hard to believe he would be vocal about this publicly if it is true, which I doubt it is.

Yet at the same time it causes me to daydream about if he was to be dealt to whome would he be dealt to and who we accept in return?

But I must make this perfectly clear Patrik is one of my favorite Devils and is certainly the last one I wish to see leave. I believe his best is still ahead of him.

#2 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,545 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:42 PM

Pure conjecture.

There is no evidence for Elias wanting out.

This guy is an idiot.

Although, Elias is quite possibly the most disappointing start of any star player..then again, the Devils schedule hasn't given him an opportunity to shine.

From late Novemeber to Christmas, Elias will go on one of his tears. BOOK IT.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#3 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:43 PM

If Elias had actually said he wanted out, (N)–Ąverson would have reported it with a banner headline. So I have to guess the guy at faceoff.com is taking all the things Elias HAS said (about frustration, linemates, Burns, etc.) and has decided it means "I want to be traded". Maybe it does. But I doubt he's actually said it to the media.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#4 Diablo

Diablo

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:46 PM

I figured as much I read pretty much every new article pertaining to the Devils and had yet to hear him mutter anything remotely like wanting to leave. I figured I would post it here to see if any of you had seen or heard anything I may have missed.

#5 JesterDevil

JesterDevil

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:54 PM

I've been thinking about this lately.

I for one like to see this happen. I think his time here is done. Look at him, he looks like a little boy after someone just ran over his Dog or something. :(

Don't get me wrong, I like him, but he was my least favorite out of the 3 A-Line players.

I just don't see him staying here if he's not producing the offense we need. He's supposed to be our offensive hero. Granted it's not all his fault, but I'd have to say it's resting mostly on his shoulders.

Now the quesiton is who could come into our system, pick up that weight, and be able to produce the goals we need. Hopefully Lou will make the right choice if the time does come.

:evil: JesterDevil :evil:

#6 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:58 PM

Nope, there hasn't been anything like that.

On the track that the media insists on using re: Sykora and Arnott. Did he not play great hockey for the Devils after they were traded last year? I think that's when any bad feelings would have surfaced. Did he not express happiness about getting his deal?

He's struggling now. He's still double-teamed by teams and he hasn't figured his way out of it. (Although the best thing I've seen this year was him working with Berglund the other day.) Yes, it's up to him to do it. But no, I don't see anything like what the media and now Faceoff insists on focusing on.
---
The Post dispelling myths???!! (First time for everything.)

Elias says he doesn't wonder why the A-Line was broken up and his linemates were traded. "What good would it do for me?" he asked.

#7 DevilsFan

DevilsFan

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 01:47 PM

I think he will come around. Like some other poster said, we have not played enough games and there is definitely a lot of lay-off between games. That has a lot to do with it. I think he is going to break out once the Devils start the road trip. He is not going anywhere.

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,545 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 01:58 PM

I think we need a change at forward. There's 6 forwards who started out last year on the team.. that's simply too many. Elias should go.

Come on people, Elias is not going to be traded..

#9 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 02:22 PM

[quote name='Triumph' date='Nov 11 2002, 12:42 PM']Although, Elias is quite possibly the most disappointing start of any star player..then again, the Devils schedule hasn't given him an opportunity to shine.

Close but that honor belongs to The Player Formerly Known As Eric Lindros.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#10 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 02:30 PM

Jarome Iginla isn't exactly burning it up.

There are actually quite a few.
Elias has three game-winners. Now that number starts to look less impressive as it continues staying there, but we have eight wins and he has three game-winners. Not exactly invisible.
---

Elias says he doesn't wonder why the A-Line was broken up and his linemates were traded. "What good would it do for me?" he asked.

#11 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 02:32 PM

Argh!!!!

Elias never said this. This is inference from another site....jeeez

You don't change your hockey team every day.

Elias is in a small slump. You don't trade him away. I'd say he has some upside.

IMHO, Newy should be his center.
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#12 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 02:36 PM

Argh!!!!

Elias never said this. This is inference from another site....jeeez

You don't change your hockey team every day.

Elias is in a small slump. You don't trade him away. I'd say he has some upside.

IMHO, Newy should be his center.

It's our mantra, msweet. :)

Elias-Nieuwy-Berglund.

This is my idea of a great line. Berglund showed quite a lot the other day, including chemistry with Elias.
---

#13 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 03:20 PM

Dp,

Where to put Friesen then?

Do we like him with Gomer? I do not.

How about:

Elias-Newy-Langs
Brylin-Gomer-Berglund
Pando-Madden-Friesen
Turner-Danton-Gionta
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#14 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 03:46 PM

Madden and Langenbrunner have been working to well together to break them up. And considering their scoring production of late, why not Friesen as the LW on that line for now. However Brylin/Gomez/Gionta is way to small of a line. So i think we will see Friesen stick with Gomez for a while, perhaps with Brylin on the other side, and Gionta with Langenbrunner and Madden, where i think he would fit. Just no Pando please!
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#15 Yeah, I suck

Yeah, I suck

Draft Pick

• Suspended
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 04:48 PM

I would trade Elias for Palffy. Both players are about the same skill level, and both are currently struggling. Maybe a change in enviroment will stimulate both players, and a trade might stimulate both teams.
Professionally banned.

#16 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,545 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 04:51 PM

Palffy's older, a right wing, has less playoff experience, has a higher salary.

No deal.

#17 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 05:08 PM

Were Elias to be traded... do you think Lou would be looking for a "superstar-esque" swap? Or would he be willing to trade Elias for 2 solid forwards and a top draft pick?

Hm, mayhaps if Elias were to be traded he'd be packaged with others and it would be a massive blockbuster deal.... And yet, I hope this doesn't happen because:
a) it means that we're probably out of playoff contention
B) we would have an almost entirely new roster for the Devils
c) we'd be making our third big trade within a year

You know, even though this post is pure conjecture, I'm thinking that it really didn't accomplish much. Meh well, let's see how it goes.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to L√ľZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#18 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 05:21 PM

I would trade Elias for Palffy.

Now there's a shock...anything to make the Kings better, eh? :lol:
Now that's a joke little friend not a personal attack.

I'm here for the party

#19 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 05:23 PM

I don't think this organization is looking to trade the third guy that they've given a big contract to.

It's been ONE month. A month in which the guy had THREE game-winning goals. We just have too much time and space to think about these things. It becomes self-defeating, I think.

Anyway, back to msweet...
I think Gomez and Friesen can still turn into something. The A-Line didn't even become the A-Line overnight. Gomez and Friesen want it, so they've got that going for them. Giving them a sparkplug, I'll go with Gionta here because he does do that and although it's a small line it would be a fast, slippery line. And because Pando is hurt, Brylin can go to the third.

I don't wanna bust up Maddenbrunner, but I think Pando could go down to fourth line when he's healthy if Madden-Brunner-Brylin was doing the same thing.

Either Turner or Jimmy Mac would have to sit each game. And the very rare instances when they were both needed, Danton could sit.

We have a tremendous amount of third-liners on this team. Our fourth line could easiily become all third-liners. It hurts when we need the third-liners as first or second-liners tho.
---

#20 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 05:27 PM

Palffy would give us a great scoring threat on the right wing, but like Tri said, he is older and would come to the Devils with a higher salary and less playoff experience.

Friesen-Nieuwendyk-Palffy as a top line would be kind of fun, though.

Were that deal to happen, the Kings would make out like bandits, with a top line of Elias-Allison-Deadmarsh. Yikes.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to L√ľZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users