30 replies to this topic

#21 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 05:29 PM

I don't think this organization is looking to trade the third guy that they've given a big contract to.

It's been ONE month. A month in which the guy had THREE game-winning goals. We just have too much time and space to think about these things. It becomes self-defeating, I think.

Completely agree, DP.

But I'm bored (actually procrastinating ;) ) and this is an interesting thing to consider. I don't expect it to happen, which is why I'm acting from the position of "were it to happen" rather than "this should happen because."

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#22 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 05:39 PM

Totally understood.

But the ones calling for the trade should take the pill. Oh, I mean a pill. (Do I?)
---
The Post dispelling myths???!! (First time for everything.)

Elias says he doesn't wonder why the A-Line was broken up and his linemates were traded. "What good would it do for me?" he asked.

#23 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 05:53 PM

I actually sort of thought this was a fun trade thread because it is perposterous...and yet you never know. No one can really say anything about what Patty could get us for fear of what we'd lose. We're all on the same page. Even the dumbest of the dumb (with the Devils' best interest at heart) can't say anything really without qualifying it.

Did you catch my subtly there again YIS? :lol:

I'm here for the party

#24 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 06:04 PM

Not trying to rain on the parade, then.

Carry on...

:joker:
---
The Post dispelling myths???!! (First time for everything.)

Elias says he doesn't wonder why the A-Line was broken up and his linemates were traded. "What good would it do for me?" he asked.

#25 GR

GR

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 06:11 PM

Elias has expressed that he misses Sykora and Arnott more than he thought.

I read that to say, the talent to play with Elias in Elias's opinion isn't there for him to be productive.

I agree he didn't work well with Gomez last season when that was tried.

He hasn't worked well with Niewy & Langer, well neither of them are 1st line players so it shouldn't work well. Gomez is fast reacting, passing and moving the puck but isn't the guy for Elias.

Friessen so far IMO is a waste and belongs on a 3rd or 4th line.

Elias wants to play with the same players and develop knowing where each guy will be before they get there. This won't happen with this offense crew because the talent isn't there to play to the Elias level. He is frustrated with that point and therefore himself.

In addition he believes in offense and plays good defense, but Burns style is defense first, with little offense, so this is frustration Elias.

IMO Elias has been very good on defense, better than most and made better hits than some of the defensemen.

Maybe the right combinations are there, somewhere, but this doesn't develop in one game. Look how much time it took in the past for Sykora, Elias and Arnott to get their timing down and together when one of them wasn't there at start of training camp. That's my point, no quick fix especially with 3rd and 4th line offensive players. Gomez is a good player he just doesn't work well with Elias, Gomez could be a 1st line player.

IMO Elias, Gomez and Brylin should be put together for a month, but then the Devils wouldn't have much else in the way of an explosive offensive line. To 3rd lines amd 1one 4th line don't make an offense.
Devils need more help offensively.
[/b]

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 06:26 PM

To say that no one can play at Elias's level is ridiculous. Jaromir Jagr put up 100 point seasons with Kip Miller and Jan Hrdina.

It's just going to take time. But I don't think Elias should be moved to another line until it's clear that Elias-Gomez-Friesen isn't going to work. Then again, since the games stopped coming in on 770 about two weeks ago, I don't know how they've played.

Once the power play starts to work, Elias will get more points..

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 06:40 PM

Elias is a great player which I love but he will never be the same player as he was with the A line.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#28 GR

GR

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 06:57 PM

Triumph, relax, take a breath, No one said there aren't players to play at Elias level, relax Triumph, I said on the present Devils team and that's what it Elias seems to be saying. So in the future take a breath Triumph, relax and don't get so excited to attack. I think it's clear that Friessen isn't going to work with Elias or even Gomez. And again Triumph since you can't watch the games you can't see how lost Friessen looks at time, and how Gomez is so far ahead of Elias and Friessen that his only choice is a drop pass, which all can see. Cool down Triumph, relax.
Devils need more help offensively.
[/b]

#29 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 07:12 PM

I think someone brought up the outstanding example of Jason Arnott..

Arnott was played out of position his whole first half year here and was terrible.

Friesen's not a right wing. Anaheim didn't learn that quick enough, the Devils probably should.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#30 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 07:40 PM

I agree with Tri and Msweet, I think Elias' time has not come yet. He did just sign a contract and with his skill, I think he will be a successful NHL'er for a long time. Damn, some of you people want 50 points right out of the gate. I like Elias-Nieuwendyk-Berglund.

I will agree with GR :o about keeping at least Brylin and Gomez together and also his sentiments about Friesen but I'll try to be fair.

Derek, Lindros is toast. Jelly (brains) toasted from too many scrambles.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#31 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 07:44 PM

Elias aint going anywhere, except to the top of the Devils players stats list for Points, Goals, Assists, etc.

Book that one.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users