28 replies to this topic

#21 TK

TK

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:00 PM

Why hasn't 731, Jimmy, TK ... any of the staunch Republicans told me what the difference is between the draft and the Selective Service Lottery?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And why the fvck should we tell u what it means... go look it up yourself

#22 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:02 PM

I already did!! I posted a link in the last message. I'm saying that I don't understand what the difference is. I looked it up on the internet, read the article and am saying that I don<t understand what the difference is.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#23 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:11 PM

Why hasn't 731, Jimmy, TK ... any of the staunch Republicans told me what the difference is between the draft and the Selective Service Lottery?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's your point here Don?
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#24 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:34 PM

So by the fact I'm a little more conservative leaning than liberal leaning I'm supposed to know every nuance about the draft? The difference to me looks like they call it a lottery so everyone knows its completely random within your own age group, happy now? I really don't know what you're getting at though.

-Scott
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#25 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:56 PM

I'm pretty sure they are one and the same. Maybe in the past it was exclusively called "the draft" so they stuck a prettier name on it. Or maybe the draft employs the secret service lottery, meaning the lottery is just a tool of the draft. Either way, I think they are basically the same thing.

...but why ask the conservatives about it?

#26 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:22 AM

Simply because I'm completely lost.

If there is no draft, if there isn't going to be a draft, why spend the money on the SSS?

If you are not going to have a draft and it is a wrong evil thing, wouldn't you dismantle the SSS, not dramatically jack up its budget?
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#27 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:32 AM

I didn't know they upped the budget.

All I remember is around my eighteenth birthday I got a card for the lottery that you had to fill out. That's it. I don't know how much of a budget they would need in order to send everybody a simple card on their eighteenth.

#28 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 04:06 PM

Simply because I'm completely lost.

If there is no draft, if there isn't going to be a draft, why spend the money on the SSS?

If you are not going to have a draft and it is a wrong evil thing, wouldn't you dismantle the SSS, not dramatically jack up its budget?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why don, cause in this world you never know what any of the whackos out there can do at any point. THey leave the Selective service lottery in place just in case there is ever a need for a draft once again. See my previous post for how the draft now works and how it and the Selective service registration are linked.

The fact is the world is an insecure place and the United States being the worlds dominant power is a target for many groups. If that isnt a good enough reason to keep the potential for a draft around i dont know what is. Someday we may be faced with the fact that our standing army just cannot handle a situation. And having the selective services around is a hell of a lot better then starting over from nothing like we had to do twice in WW1 and WW2.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#29 LetsGoDevils

LetsGoDevils

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 04:36 PM

I know that within a week after turning 18 I went and filled out my card. A proud moment for me back then, as my Father had served in the Army during the Korean war, and I had two older brothers having gone into the Marines.
So Say We All

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users