unibrow

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:57 PM

From SJSharks official (fully white-washed) website:
Sharks & Stuart Agree To Terms

It looks like for the first time all season, the Sharks will have the ability to dress their best 20-man unit. Brad Stuart agreed to terms on Wednesday morning and that, combined with Scott Thornton's return on Monday night, provides San Jose a holdout and injury free lineup.

The deal is for three years and is worth about $5 million over the term. Stuart will skate at Logitech Ice at San Jose this morning, then fly to Atlanta in the afternoon.

"I'm happy it's over," said Stuart. "It is not something I enjoyed. I'm just glad to get back and start playing. It's tough and frustrating to watch your team play without you, especially when the team is not doing well. You don't like it, but it's part of the game now."

The 24-year-old Stuart, one of the top young blueliners in the game, and the Sharks completed a multiyear deal Tuesday evening. Last year Stuart posted 29 points (six goals, 23 assists) while playing in all 82 contests. He played the bulk of the season's second half on an injured ankle that required offseason surgery. He had been skating with the University of Calgary until he returned to San Jose last night.

While his training camp time would have been limited by the surgery, Stuart's health is not an issue right now. Stuart received a physical from Sharks Team Doctor Arthur Ting Wednesday morning.

"It's pretty good," Stuart said of the ankle. "I haven't had much to gauge it by. Getting out there and skating feels good. Getting in a game will test it, but I think I'm ready to do the job."

Stuart was named as the runner up for the 1999-00 Calder Memorial Trophy, awarded to the League's top rookie. The Rocky Mountain House, Alberta native was selected by San Jose in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft (first round, third overall).

#2 SBT

SBT

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 08:14 PM

Well, this is bad news for Jeff Jillson.
He's already in Sutter's doghouse.
Now with Stuart's return, Jeff will get no ice time.

#3 IAmCanadian27

IAmCanadian27

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 09:47 PM

He's on my fantasy hockey team, so good news for me! Hopefully he doesn't get off to a slow start.
"He's got hockey strength, and he's one of those naturals. He's kind of a coach's dream. With some guys you have to keep repeating. With Paul, you point out something once and he picks it up."- Larry Robinson on Paul Martin

Proud NJDevs Co-Keeper of Scott Niedermayer & Keeper of Paul Martin

#4 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 01:01 AM

Now is when San Jose turns things around... right?

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#5 unibrow

unibrow

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 12:51 PM

Jillson's in the doghouse for lousy play, but Stuart should be giving him a big thank you for stinking it up so bad that the Sharks had to finally do the contract. I don't know if they can turn this around. The couldn't beat the Rangers on Monday with Blackburn in goal (and behind the goal and inside the goal). Course, they played Kipper, not Nabby. I'm starting to wonder if last year WAS the year for Sharkie, and now they've got to start all over.

#6 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 01:49 PM

Now is when San Jose turns things around... right?

As a Stars fan, I'm hoping not. :P

But seriously, the Sharks have dug themselves a pretty big hole. They're 13th in the West as of this morning (IIRC), so it'll be a long climb back up. The good thing for them is they have lots of time left, if other teams slip.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 SBT

SBT

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 08:58 PM

No big deal about Jillson.
The SBT kicked him off the fantasy team long ago.
As for the Sharks, they will win the Pacific Division again.
It's basically the same team as last year's.

#8 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 11:03 AM

As for the Sharks, they will win the Pacific Division again.

I disagree. I really think the Stars will be back at the top of the Pacific. It may be a hard, close race, but I don't see the Sharks beating this year's Stars team.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users