29 replies to this topic

#1 unibrow

unibrow

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 01:49 PM

I didn't see this article from the times posted, so here it is for those interested:

Holik Continues to Wait as Injury Slowly Heals
By JASON DIAMOS

CALGARY, Alberta, Nov. 14 Rangers center Bobby Holik said he had nightmares Wednesday night that he could not skate well enough to play here for the Rangers tonight.

It was a portent. After taking part in this morning's skate, Holik, who had expressed optimism Wednesday about a possible return, decided his strained hip flexor had not healed to the point where he can play.

"I can't even battle in the corners yet," said Holik, who sat out his ninth consecutive game as the Rangers faced the Flames. "I don't think I can skate well enough to even get in there. And if I cannot do that, I may as well skate off the ice."

Not since the 1995-96 season, when injuries forced Holik to miss 19 games with the Devils, had he missed more than four games in a season. "It's really getting to me mentally," Holik said.

The injury resulted from Holik overcompensating for a badly bruised right foot that he injured in the Rangers' final preseason game on Oct. 5. He said Wednesday that he did not think his hip would fully heal until next summer. That did not sit well with Glen Sather, the Rangers' president and general manager, who signed Holik, 31, to a five-year, $45 million contract in the off-season.

"I don't know how he can diagnose an injury and say it's going to take a year to recover," Sather said today. "I've always found that self-diagnosis is not the right answer. That's why there are doctors. But you never know. And you have to be careful."

The Rangers are proceeding carefully with Holik, who underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam on the hip tonight.

"He's day to day," Rangers Coach Bryan Trottier said. "We were encouraged by yesterday."

"He's going to get another post-practice analysis from Rammer," Trottier said, referring to Rangers trainer Jim Ramsay, "and we'll go from there. We're getting closer. I don't see the concern. We're encouraged, actually."

Even if Holik is not.

"I'm not Bobby," Trottier said. "I'm not in Bobby's body. I look at it as day to day. Bobby wants to get back right now. He's frustrated."

#2 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 01:52 PM

Sather may be right, but if he hasn't figured out by now that he bought Bobby's mouth along with everything else, he never will.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#3 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 02:09 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#4 M.

M.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 02:24 PM

:P :lol: :evil: :joker: :uni:

But, seriously,I must admit it is very strange to see LHRB admitting that this is geting to him mentally. And now back to my first response:

:P :lol: :evil: :joker: :uni:
WORK SMARTER- NOT HARDER

#5 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 02:29 PM

it's all happening.....

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#6 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 02:55 PM

HAHAHAHHAHAHAAH
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#7 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,410 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 02:57 PM

Good for him! He is fitting in well over at the millionaires club. Maybe next year he will be healthy enough to play.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#8 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 02:58 PM

awwwwww....actually Holik has the life right now, just sitting around watching hockey and getting paided $109,000 for it. Damn bastard.....oh well.....the pain he is receiving evens it out.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#9 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,424 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 03:34 PM

"It's really getting to me mentally," Holik said.

referring to the mega-bucks deal Holik signed with the Rag$ this summer. Also included in Holik's remark may be the Ranger's crappy record, his shabby play thus far, the Devils new found spirit in the face of adversity as well as their winning record without him, Bobby Holik to brighten the locker room. It is speculated Holik is also referring to the rumors he may be traded to some other team - however we have been unable to ascertain whether he's staying away to ensure the trade or for fear he will be traded and have to leave his beloved home in NJ and all the wonderful former friends he'd made during his tenure with the New Jersey Devils.

Yessiree thats a mighty lot that may well be getting to Holik, mentally speaking.

I'm here for the party

#10 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,276 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 03:45 PM

"I don't know how he can diagnose an injury and say it's going to take a year to recover," Sather said today. "I've always found that self-diagnosis is not the right answer. That's why there are doctors. But you never know. And you have to be careful."

These two guys (Sather and Holik) deserve each other...one arrogant a$$ complaining about another. :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#11 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 03:57 PM

my sentiments exactly.

the more msweet's posts i read, the more i like 'em.

#12 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:20 PM

Where's GR with "realistic" spin on this?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#13 unibrow

unibrow

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:39 PM

My take, which I'm sure I've already expressed so excuse the repetition, is that Holik has an injury requiring surgery. But they're not doing the surgery, they're just jerking him around and seeing if he'll "work" through it somehow. Kind of the same thing the Devs did with McKay isn't it? Bobby's saying it's not the pain, he's played with plenty of pain before. But it's movement restricting and he can't play his game, he's useless on the ice. It's a real loggerhead, it makes Bobby look like a washed up player (which even his detractors here probably don't think is actually true) and a whiner. But hey, maybe the Rangers can trade him in a multi-player deal to San Jose and pick up Toskala to help out with their screwed up goalie situation.

#14 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:40 PM

Does anyone think that A$$holik makes Sykora sound like a macho tough guy after his injury and playoff no-show last year?? :P He's whining much more than Syk imo.

#15 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:46 PM

But hey, maybe the Rangers can trade him in a multi-player deal to San Jose and pick up Toskala to help out with their screwed up goalie situation.

Rangers would have to eat a lot of his salary for that to happen, and I think it's early for them to look to deal him.

But I could see them wheeling and dealing with Colorado:

To the Avs: Holik/Lundmark/Kloucek
To the Rag$: Reinprecht/Tanguay/Skoula

Somethin' along those lines; probably not that deal exactly, 'cause I'm sure someone on these boards will point out some obvious fault that'll make me go, "Oh... right. My bad." :P

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#16 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:49 PM

Does anyone think that A$$holik makes Sykora sound like a macho tough guy after his injury and playoff no-show last year?? :P He's whining much more than Syk imo.

I don't know if it's as bad or not, but it's highly comparable. Syk said he needed his speed, Holik said he needed to be able to grind. Both think that they'd help the club more by being off the ice rather than on it.

Did Booby give Sykkie sh!te about the whole ordeal?

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#17 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:52 PM

Did Booby give Sykkie sh!te about the whole ordeal?

Well Bobby was the one saying he could sleep at night (meaning that some of the others shouldn't be able to). But he never said anything about Sykkie directly
I guess his nightmares mean he can't sleep now.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#18 M.

M.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:54 PM

:clap: Best Line of the Day!! :clap:

:evil:
WORK SMARTER- NOT HARDER

#19 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,276 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 08:19 PM

Sue:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#20 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 08:48 PM

Wow...thought LHRB knew all about soft tissue injuries...first skating will not hurt it then it will take a year to heal and alas the MRI shows that skating is a big fat no no...maybe his nightmares are the result of reality sinking in that he knows a helluva lot less than he thought he did :uni:
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users