132 replies to this topic

#121 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 01:08 PM

red I'll chalk up your ignorance to having been away from the board for a while...

Suffice it to say, I have said on numerous occasions that the Devils would be getting back a defenseman in a Niedermayer deal: not ONLY for the Devils' sake, but also for the team that receives him, as NO team can add 26 minutes to their defense without having an extra defenseman lying around who has been kicked down to the third pairing and is subsequently underused.

I have disagreed with those who have suggested Niedermayer deals that do not involve D-men coming back, namely the Buffalo proposal given by sundstrom. Albelin cannot be the Devils' 6th d-man.

My ignorance???

Well enlighten me please...what deal are you going to make thats going to bring back a Dman & a scoring foward....(this should be good)!!!...thats going to make this team better....while losing neids....

because if the experts of the NHL think like you then Neids is not worth that much in the trade market....

Neider is a top 30 dman???

please name 30 defensman better than him...I need a good laugh!!!
Talk about your ignorance!!!
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#122 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 01:34 PM

Awwww, c'mon Doggie. Your letting your personal liking of the guy get in the way of fairly judging him.

That '1 negative" as you put it, eventually cost the Devils the series.

And which Game 6 are you talking about?

And as for Alexander, while he may not have buried the biscuit as much as he should have, he was at least always an offensive threat out there and the other team had to act accordingly, unlike Niedsermayer.

Niedermayer isn't even in my top 5 favorite Devils, so this is hardly a case of me defending "my boy" to the death. It seems more like you have a bias against him than I have a bias for him, sorry - at least that's the impression I'm getting from your posts.

Which Game 6?? 2000 CUP FINALS ring a bell? Niedermayer scored the 1st goal against Dallas, then Arnott had the GW in OT. NJ prevails 2-1. And if I'm not mistaken, it was a short-handed goal by Nied too. I think he had two sh that playoffs. So if you're going to blast him for one negative that supposedly cost the Devs the series in '99, at least acknowledge he helped us win the series in 2000.

I can't believe you'd scrutinize one goof by Nied in one year but then you go and excuse M****** for inept scoring for a particular playoff season. FOUR goals for M******, FIVE for Nied in 2000 and which one is the scoring forward again? Almo failed in the post-season, if his role was to be a scoring winger. He missed the net and blew numerous scoring chances from what I can recollect, in addition to having shots and goals. Did you ever stop to think that he cost us the Cup in 2001 because he had a whole one goal in his last SEVENTEEN games or so? Naww, of course not.

#123 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 01:38 PM

Which Game 6?? 2000 CUP FINALS ring a bell? Niedermayer scored the 1st goal against Dallas, then Arnott had the GW in OT. NJ prevails 2-1. And if I'm not mistaken, it was a short-handed goal by Nied too. I think he had two sh that playoffs. So if you're going to blast him for one negative that supposedly cost the Devs the series in '99, at least acknowledge he helped us win the series in 2000.

I think it was a 5-on-3 as well...

Something about "rocket-assisted skates" and "only Scott Niedermayer could have made this happen" are the ESPN quotes that I'm remembering.
---
The Post dispelling myths???!! (First time for everything.)

Elias says he doesn't wonder why the A-Line was broken up and his linemates were traded. "What good would it do for me?" he asked.

#124 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 01:39 PM

Sorry red, I was a little tipsy when I wrote that .. I meant ignorance by your accusation that Albelin would play if Nieds was dealt.. earlier in this thread I said the Devils needed a D back.

30 defensemen better than Niedermayer?

That's hard to do. It's hard to judge Niedermayer because if you put his best play up against the best play of other defensemen, he's clearly a top 10 guy.. but if you put his worst play up against the worst play of others, Niedermayer's is also worse.

Niedermayer's all around play is probably better than most, but there are many more guys that are better on the offensive side, and many more better on the defensive side.. I could definitely name 30 guys that are better on O or D than Niedermayer, but not both. But that's what is so frustrating is that Niedermayer could dominate both sides of the puck 40 nights a year but he only picks out 10.

What deal am I going to make? I don't know. Again, I can only speculate that Niedermayer is going to go, I've no idea who would come back, because I don't know who is available.. Doan and one of Vaananen/Mara/Markov is the best I can come up with.

If you don't think this team NEEDS a big forward you're kidding yourself, and the Devils would be silly to have invested 54 million dollars in a team that is right now relying on John Madden and Jamie Langenbrunner for goals.

Niedermayer scored the 5 on 3 goal against the Panthers in Game 2. I know because I was there.. of course if he missed, the Panthers have a 4 on 1 back the other way.. those are the kinds of risks I think Niedermayer should take more often, because he is confident he can get back. But then sometimes he does and gets caught way out of position, because his offensive instincts are poor..

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#125 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 01:49 PM

Niedermayer scored the 5 on 3 goal against the Panthers in Game 2. I know because I was there

I started wondering if it was that game right after I posted.

I KNOW the quotes were from the Finals game tho. I think... ;)
---
The Post dispelling myths???!! (First time for everything.)

Elias says he doesn't wonder why the A-Line was broken up and his linemates were traded. "What good would it do for me?" he asked.

#126 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 02:03 PM

Nieds is the perfect D-man for this team.
Nuff said.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#127 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 03:40 PM

I hate to be a party pooper but BFett is not Kyydax; I didn't get the impression he was at the time myself and now I know he's not after looking through a couple of earlier posts he posted, specifically this one:

let marty play
Burns knows what he is doing
Why should Schwab play? he's a scrub

The real Kyy would never post THAT - drunk, sober, or incognito :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#128 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:22 PM

Don't let sarcasm pass for reality Hasan -_-
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#129 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:27 PM

Okay I'll do a little more background work the next time...you may have a point here ;)
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#130 eddieslobbo

eddieslobbo

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 08:43 PM

hahah fools...obviously kyydax=bfett

#131 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 12:00 AM

I think it's wrong, too, to say that Niedermayer hasn't done anything since 1995, but I think it's OK to say that Niedermayer has been a disappointment and I think it's OK to hold Niedermayer to a higher standard than other guys.

Maybe it's arguable, but I think the guy has world-class ability but is an above-average player. To me, above-average isn't good enough when you have all that talent.

Jerry is it possible the EXPECTATIONS were just too high??? The guy has world class skating ability, and world class puck handling ability, he;s very good in his own end but is an average passer, IMHO he does not see the ice that well and has a below ave. shot...so how is he supposed to be the next Orr???? Those are impossible expectations to live upto...

And BTW IMHO on the nights he only gives 75%, he is still one of the better devils ont he ice...Sad but true
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#132 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 12:09 AM

The expectations were right if you watched him for 2 games.

The expectations were wrong if you watched him for 20 games.

It's as simple as that. Seeing him try to go through 3 guys night after night would lead you to believe that he doesn't see the ice well.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#133 ARENA2005

ARENA2005

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 03:24 AM

15 more games for Niedermayer to show he can't be replaced by Tverdovsky.

Do you think Nieder is tired of the Dev's defensive scheme? Do you think that Burns realizes this? I think Pat knows what he has in Scott and will mold this team around him in the next few years.

I also just looked at a post by MantaRay who stated: "Nieds is the perfect D-man for this team. Nuff said." Ask Nieds if he is happy right now with his role on the Devils? My guess is no, as he realizes his talent and could be a Norris winner with any other Team in the NHL. Yes he has two Cups but I'm sure he still feels like he is being overlooked.

He wants to be the "C" and right now #4 is the man (God Bless him). Nieds, hang in there as your time will come and you will be the centerpiece of this team with Marty behind you!
I love my wife.

"I havn't seen potential win on paper yet." LOU

"Another Marty Party!" Mike Emrick

"I told the guys the mind is boss, the body is only an employee." Burns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users