#1 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 12:15 AM

Saw this in the sunday APP:

Holik felt the '01 Devs were the best team he ever played on, even though they never gave more then 50 to 70%. He said one of the hardest things to accept is the fact that they did not win the CUP that year...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#2 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 05:09 AM

TRUE

#3 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 09:13 AM

I still can't accept it. 295 Goal season and we can't put together the balls to win at home when we're up 3-2 in the series.

Psssshhh.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#4 Chort

Chort

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 09:32 AM

i still can't shake off that game 6...........

#5 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 09:37 AM

295 Goals gave way to over confidence in the playoffs.

In 2000 we played scared, focused and clamped down on the opposition.

In 2001, the Devs just thought they were too good to lose and prolonged each series unneccessarily.

I still remember chilling the champagne and getting the victory cigars together before game six in the parking lot and just leaving pissed that the AVs/ROY wanted it more than our boys.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#6 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 11:12 AM

He's right. That was the most talented Devils team I ever saw. Even better than the '94 team that gave the Rangers a good run.

They essentially had two #1 lines that were lethal and the other two lines were very good.

All year, they just turned it on and off when they wanted. It was their talent that almost got them a repeat.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#7 M.

M.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 11:16 AM

Can we please stop reliving the horror?!!
I can't afford the therapy. :P
WORK SMARTER- NOT HARDER

#8 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 11:27 AM

That Game 6 loss.......ugh.

By the way, was that the most undramatic seven-game series you've ever seen? The 2000 finals, even though it went six games, had a lot more tension.

#9 MrQuotes

MrQuotes

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 11:51 AM

no, dont remind me. no stop!

*flashback*
*tears* :evilcry:
*fetal position*
Posted Image

Keeper of Newark Arena's first mugging victim

#10 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 11:55 AM

That was the only series that i remember where at points niether team looked like they wanted to win. Whoever lost a game was the teacm that didnt show up that day, and it rotated each game. SOOO bad.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#11 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 12:25 PM

Damn, I loved that team.

That postseason was really special to me. I had three girlfriends who weren't into hockey learning the game and getting into it. It just made it resonate all the more.

And ultimately all the harder when it ended as sh!ttily as it did.
---
The Post dispelling myths???!! (First time for everything.)

Elias says he doesn't wonder why the A-Line was broken up and his linemates were traded. "What good would it do for me?" he asked.

#12 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 02:23 PM

Never will see a better Devils team than that one. If Ray Pork wasn't on the Avs, we would be a dynasty.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#13 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 02:44 PM

To me, they are a close second to the 93-94 Devils team, that was the best Devils team I've ever seen.

Even the great teams let some slip away, look at the Oilers against Calgary in 86, and nearly choking the Cup away to Philly in 87 after being up 3-1. The Islanders were nearly beat by the 75pt Pittsburgh Penguins in 82 and by the mediocre Rangers in 84.

The Devils were shooting against the best goalie in hockey history at the top of his game while there own goalie was letting in soft 50 ft slap shots to Adam Foote and Ray Bourque.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#14 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 03:01 PM

By the way, was that the most undramatic seven-game series you've ever seen? The 2000 finals, even though it went six games, had a lot more tension.

2000 finals was WAY better, if you disgard Belfruit's Nyquil episode in Game 1. The rest of the games were pretty exciting and often extremely close, either way.

I think one big reason the 2001 finals were a downer is because the two teams basically took turns sucking :P . And that's another reason why I get pissed off over the fact we lost - the Avs were nothing hot that post-season either and just sucked ONE less game in the final to capture the Cup!!!!

#15 GA Devil

GA Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 03:02 PM

At least most of you weren't living in Colorado at the time!!!! Still, after watching game 1 at a friend's house (that hurt), I learned my lesson at watched the games at home.

Games 1, 6 & 7 :puke:
Let the celebration begin in the Daneyko household!!!!

#16 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 03:04 PM

The Devils were shooting against the best goalie in hockey history at the top of his game while there own goalie was letting in soft 50 ft slap shots to Adam Foote and Ray Bourque.

To be fair, if you're going to hammer on Marty for bad goals.... Waaaah almost cost his team the entire thing with his royal SCREW UP trying to handle the puck in game 4, no??? Roy allowed other questionable goals, too, sorry. We won Game 5 but then completely blew it AS AN ENTIRE TEAM in Game 6, nothing much you can do.

It also helped as we kept missing the net and shooting AT Waaah too :blink: I'll give the guy some credit, but we still often made it easy on him during those games we lost.

#17 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 03:07 PM

you can't help but shoot at Roy, the guy takes up the entire net with those couch cushions he wears.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#18 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 03:20 PM

2001 runner up was the best team we had.
A-Line is best line in hockey (hands down)
Gomez-Mogilny-Brylin scores 80+ goals
Holik-McKay-Chimo did everything
Madden-Pando-Stevenson best checking line
in hockey

3 solid pairs of defensemen.

Brodeur was weak in the finals and that's why we lost.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#19 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,762 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 04:08 PM

Agreed sundstrom. He should've been able to win it when his offense was a no-show. True, he didn't outplay Roy, or come close. But neither did the Devils at any point show that they were ready to be Cup champs.. they were given the opportunity by Roy, who took it away again by being solid.

The whole team didn't show up as a team. That's why they were dismantled, and why it was the right move. There's no excuse for that.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#20 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 05:24 PM

tweaking the lineup is fine, but dismantling them was the wrong move

it came down to Roy stealing the last 2 games of the series, I don't believe they didn't want it, otherwise they wouldn't have come back from 3-2 against Toronto and completely dominated the Pens. They were just playing against the best goalie in hockey.

the devils did draw first blood in game 6 but the gomez goal was taken away, then came the Foote goal from 50 ft out and that just deflated us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users