Photo

Nationwide Uniform Driver Licenses

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you for or against uniform licenses? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you for or against uniform licenses?

1. For (13 votes [61.90%])

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

2. Against (8 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:22 PM

Always wanted to make a poll and this article is an easy one to start one for. :D

http://aolsvc.news.a...216121409990030

Legislation Sets Stage for Uniform Driver's Licenses

By Donna Leinwand, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#2 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:23 PM

I did it! Um and as for uniform licenses, I don't see the harm in it. As long as they can't encode tracking devices in them.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#3 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:30 PM

I am for this. Of course some people always want to make every security issue into a slippery slope of personal liberty violation. It is tiring when the government tries to make us more secure that the same people always step up and say, "but 10 more steps like this and we'll have our rights violated so we shouldn't even do step 1 because it will cause step 10 making step 1 just as bad."

-Scott
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#4 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:37 PM

Where is the money to establish this coming from???
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#5 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:42 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I don't think it would cost much more money to just give the states a nationalized database to report to and a national DL instead of a state DL. So the Feds would have to handle to database and work out how the ID would be secured but the states would still handle at what age people can get licenses and the state would still do the physical issuing.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#6 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:57 PM

It still costs money especially if the Feds require info that is not utilized on state issued licenses...for security they say but who is footing the bill? Not all states have photos for example...mine doesn't and won't need it until it expires in a few years...who is footing the bill...I mean I know that the Feds can run a deficit and it is ok however let a state like NJ run a deficit and it is a crime...where is the money coming from?
Dew
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#7 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 05:01 PM

So that's what the new NJ licenses look like.

I wouldn't mind it if it's implemented. If the gov't wanted to track me they sure don't need a national license to do it.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#8 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:13 PM

I am against it. Let the federal government do their job- protecting borders- and leave the states alone. If the feds can't, or won't protect our borders, then vote them out. I am sick and tired of the feds wanting everyone else to do their job.

What a joke- the Dept of "Homeland Security" shouldn't that really be the Defense Dept and the Defense dept should really be renamed the War Dept. like it was before the 1948 change.
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

#9 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:24 PM

If it sets up a standard Liscense format that all states follow, i have no issue with it, as it makes many things easier for people across the country in regards to spotting fakes. But, the feds should have nothing to do with it other then helping set up that universal standard.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#10 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,392 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:33 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From taxpayers.

So you don't have to worry.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#11 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:48 PM

It still costs money especially if the Feds require info that is not utilized on state issued licenses...for security they say but who is footing the bill?  Not all states have photos for example...mine doesn't and won't need it until it expires in a few years...who is footing the bill...I mean I know that the Feds can run a deficit and it is ok however let a state like NJ run a deficit and it is a crime...where is the money coming from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How much money do you think this will cost? The States already spend a lot of money on IDs, the federal gov. is just saying you need certain security features on it. So really it will cost very little to phase in.

-Scott

Edited by Devils731, 16 December 2004 - 11:51 PM.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#12 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,392 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:34 AM

731, you don't understand......this is an idea from the Bush administration, so in her mind, it's got to be wrong.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#13 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,927 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:36 AM

hey anything that cuts the HELL out from moving state to state and transferring licenses when you move... it's not ALL negative....
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#14 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:51 AM

hey anything that cuts the HELL out from moving state to state and transferring licenses when you move... it's not ALL negative....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I'm thinking. Granted a license fee is a small thing when compared to registration and all that, but hey, I might be in New York next semester, their license is like $50 or so...

#15 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:00 PM

Why do you change your license every time you move? My son has been living in Chicago for basically 9 years and he finally got an Ill license. He couldn't bear to part with his legal connection to the Garden State.

I like to show my Ocean County ID card when I fly. It drives the airport people crazy! Its printed on a pink card that really stands out. Besides, other than my passport, its the only photo ID I have. Rental car clerks have a hard time believing that the NJ driver license is for real.

My other son, who lives in Seattle and is thirty years old, was refused beverage service in California. They didn't recognize his Washington State DL.
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

#16 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:00 PM

i agree with this, it would make buying products that require you to be a certain age easier. When i used to work for stop and shop we would only accept NY licensees, any other state we had to have a manager come over and inspect it for like 5 min. i know its a small detail really but i cant find anything wrong with this or really great.

although it will be sad not making fun of other states ID's anymore=(. i thought NY's was pretty cool, some look like they cut and pasted the pic on hehe

#17 djstubbs

djstubbs

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 09:12 PM

i'd be in support of all driving laws being uniform across the country.

i'm sick of these kids from kansas getting their license at 12. :P

as for a uniform license? i guess i'm for it... not really sure though.

#18 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:40 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't bet on it. They'll still make you transfer your address to the new one, and charge you the FEE. This may (and I say MAY) eliminate the need for a written test in some states when you move. I can see some states considering it a matter of states rights and hanging on to it. But I see no problem with the government saying these are the documents you have to have to get the license, here is what has to be on it, and here is what it has to look like. Hell, I'd like to see THAT process standardized from state to state.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#19 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 03:34 PM

I am against it. Let the federal government do their job- protecting borders- and leave the states alone. If the feds can't, or won't protect our borders, then vote them out. I am sick and tired of the feds wanting everyone else to do their job.

What a joke- the Dept of "Homeland Security" shouldn't that really be the Defense Dept and the Defense dept should really be renamed the War Dept. like it was before the 1948 change.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is the Republican ideology of "less government" ;)
Dew
TIMEX RULES!!

#20 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 03:38 PM

[quote name='Devils731' date='Dec 16 2004, 11:48 PM'][quote name='StarDew' date='Dec 16 2004, 04:57 PM']It still costs money especially if the Feds require info that is not utilized on state issued licenses...for security they say but who is footing the bill?
Dew
TIMEX RULES!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users