10 replies to this topic

#1 Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:19 AM

The information pertaining to Esche and the Wolves is in bold, and the rest of the article is contained within the link...

* http://www.philly.co...10448823.htm?1c

NHL's revenue-sharing plan shares little

By TIM PANACCIO

Philadelphia Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA - Not that we're above repeating ourselves, but just the same, let's set the record straighter than it already was.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says he has the support of all 30 clubs on a salary cap.

We'll say it one more time: The Flyers do not support a salary cap. Never did, never will. They can't say it publicly because they'll be fined for disagreeing with Bettman. Freedom of speech is outlawed for owners unless they spout the league's propaganda.

The Flyers, who tend to spend extravagantly in pursuit of that elusive third Stanley Cup, prefer a luxury tax.

Ed Snider and Bob Clarke don't like anyone telling them how much money they can spend - and on whom - to produce a winner.

At the same time, they're not enamored of the NHL Players Association's revenue-sharing plan that would see the Flyers fork over nearly $7 million a year to the poorer teams - the Buffalos, the Nashvilles.

A close look at the counterproposal the league gave the union this week reveals vague language concerning Bettman's revenue-sharing scam ... er, plan. The counterproposal talks about "a new economic system, an enhanced revenue-sharing program that will allow the new system to operate as intended. Under our proposed approach, all 30 of our clubs (assuming an appropriate level of business performance within their respective markets), would be provided the ability to spend within the prescribed payroll range."

Who's going to determine whether the marketing gurus in Ottawa and Buffalo are doing their jobs at the "level of business performance" that would entitle them to a share of Comcast's bucks?

The reason the Flyers, Maple Leafs, Rangers, Red Wings, Stars, Bruins and Avalanche don't want to share their money as outlined by the union is because their revenue dwarfs that of much of the league. Of this group, Boston takes in the least annual revenue at $85 million. And that's twice as much as Phoenix.

The rich clubs question why they should bankroll poorer clubs that can't sell their product or their merchandise very well, either locally or nationally.

What Bettman has proposed - a standard of business performance appropriate to each market - is actually a false front for the wealthier clubs.

Bettman is promising a salary cap to keep the owners from self-inflicted financial ruin so they won't need a huge cash (read: revenue-sharing) bailout at the end of every season. That's the cap trade-off.

Under Bettman's proposal, the Big Boys, who provide much of hockey's prominence, will be placated because Comcast, Cablevision and Boston's Jeremy Jacobs won't be shelling out millions to help the Mighty Ducks sell 10 more season tickets in Pomona.

On one hand, Bettman lauds the NFL and its cap and revenue-sharing plan (Pete Rozelle's plan, actually). He'd like to see hockey become football. Except without true, full partnership in revenue-sharing. Why? Because the richest of the rich don't want to contribute their hard-earned cash.

Let's not forget one fact: The NFL's network TV deal is worth more than $2 billion annually. Which is why it's easy for every football owner to share in the wealth. The NFL's salary cap last July was set at $80.6 million while the individual club's split from league TV revenue was $80 million.

The NHL will never have a network deal in North America in which the TV split equals the amount a team could spend in payroll. Hockey's last TV deal was a puny $600 million over five years. The union recognizes the little fact that hockey can't depend solely on radio and TV for revenue.

Which is why NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow has proposed making the Flyers, the Leafs and those other rich uncles write checks after every season to help the little guys at the bottom of the food chain. It might be unfair to Snider, but it's genuine Robin Hood revenue-sharing.

If you were a struggling owner, wouldn't you want the union's plan of revenue-sharing (minimum $65 million and a maximum $190 million) rather than Bettman's?

By now, you're asking yourselves whether the Flyers want it both ways: a luxury tax but without true revenue-sharing. The answer is: Yes. And so do at least a half-dozen other wealthy clubs that don't want to be told they can't spend money because Buffalo is having a rough go of it.

People like to say this lockout is about money. Yet both sides agree they are 2 percent apart on player salaries.

Which means the lockout is really about ideology.

The league wants a salary cap to protect teams from the free-spending ways of their owners and general managers.

The union wants a luxury tax to protect teams that care about winning from teams that care only about a tax write-off and are not necessarily trying to win it all.

What the league proposes is propping up the little guys, along with those owners who like owning a team but could care less whether they win the Cup.

And Bettman expects the players to pay for this new welfare plan with a few cents tossed in from limited revenue-sharing that protects the Big Boys.

The fans accuse the players of being greedy in this labor dispute.

Who's being greedy here?

ESCHE'S TAKE

Flyers player representative Robert Esche is trying to get himself in shape so that he can get into the nets for the Chicago Wolves, who are the Atlanta Thrashers' AHL affiliate but also sign some veterans. Goodenow has advised the players to find jobs because it's obvious to everyone that there will be no NHL season. "Bettman is missing the point," Esche said. "We'll never accept a cap. We'll sit for two seasons if we have to. We've seen how the cap handicaps the NFL. All Gary sees is cap, cap, cap."

* - requires an account to be viewed
In professional hockey, the Devils are that rara avis, the team that is largely unmarked by the self-adoration and individualism prevalent amongst other organizations; the team that shines radiantly in the otherwise somber corporate sphere. Through many personnel changes and tribulations their pervasive, unwavering character and desire for victory have reigned triumphant. Whereas other teams may be alluring, the Devils have the rarest of traits: they are exemplary by nature.

#2 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:41 PM

Well, goodbye NHL. We hardly knew ye.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#3 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,406 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:25 PM

First off why is Esche permitted to play for someone's minor league affiliate? Second off why isn't it the Phantoms :P
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#4 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 06:17 PM

Shouldn't this be moved?

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#5 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:20 AM

WTF STUPID ESCHE GO AWAY FROM CHICAGO GO TO SOME OTHER TEAM FOR YOUR F-ING DEVELOPMENT DON'T PUSH OUT KARI!!!!!! GO AWAY!!!!!

Esche is one of my fav goalies if he pushes out kari, just because he's made the NHL i'll never forgive him and i'll start breeding a deep hatred for the flyers.
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#6 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,615 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 12:18 PM

Esche is one of my fav goalies if he pushes out kari, just because he's made the NHL i'll never forgive him and i'll start breeding a deep hatred for the flyers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exxxxxcellent. Posted Image One more step to becoming a full-fledged Devils fan. :evil:

I'm hearing from folks in Chicago that if Esche ends up there, he'll probably split time with Lehtonen rather than take over completely. The various backups the Wolves have had are either ineffective, injured, or both. Also, I guess Kari himself has some nagging injuries and could use more rest than he's currently getting.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#7 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:42 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exxxxxcellent. Posted Image One more step to becoming a full-fledged Devils fan. :evil:

I'm hearing from folks in Chicago that if Esche ends up there, he'll probably split time with Lehtonen rather than take over completely. The various backups the Wolves have had are either ineffective, injured, or both. Also, I guess Kari himself has some nagging injuries and could use more rest than he's currently getting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:
Garnetts been a pretty decent backup....meh. I like kari getting a full workload rather than half of it. What the hell does esche need it for he's already one hell of a goalie he doesn't need ahl crap. Esche should go to some other league. Go to europe like normal nhlers do.
Posted Image

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#8 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:55 PM

Exxxxxcellent.  Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rowdy, how did you come across that pic? That pic is hosted on my webspace. Don't care if you use/link to it as that's what it's for, just curious how you found it as I don't remember using the link for any avatars. :noclue:
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#9 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,615 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:08 PM

Hmmm... someone must've used it at one point, otherwise I wouldn't have known it was there. :noclue:

---------

The Wolves have had their share of injury problems between the pipes this year. Garnett's been bugged by a groin injury for about a month. Berkhoel had (hip?) surgery, and Lehtonen was scratched Friday night with a hip pointer. The Wolves just sent Fankhouser back to the ECHL, but I suppose they could get him back if they needed him.

Edited by Rowdyfan42, 21 December 2004 - 08:12 PM.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#10 Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:32 PM

If the NHL doesn't return this season, though, when Kari does recover, Esche will begin to take away valuable playing time from him. It's not a HUGE deal, but the problem is that Lehtonen is projected to be the next incredible goaltender and something like this could bother him and/or even damage his confidence. When healthy, he should be starting as many games as possible and this won't exactly give him the opportunity.

Edited by Giuseppe, 21 December 2004 - 08:34 PM.

In professional hockey, the Devils are that rara avis, the team that is largely unmarked by the self-adoration and individualism prevalent amongst other organizations; the team that shines radiantly in the otherwise somber corporate sphere. Through many personnel changes and tribulations their pervasive, unwavering character and desire for victory have reigned triumphant. Whereas other teams may be alluring, the Devils have the rarest of traits: they are exemplary by nature.

#11 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:21 PM

If the NHL doesn't return this season, though, when Kari does recover, Esche will begin to take away valuable playing time from him. It's not a HUGE deal, but the problem is that Lehtonen is projected to be the next incredible goaltender and something like this could bother him and/or even damage his confidence. When healthy, he should be starting as many games as possible and this won't exactly give him the opportunity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly, he hit it right on the head.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users