293 replies to this topic

#201 chrisg19

chrisg19

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:46 AM

Just so everyone knows at noon (EST) TSN.ca will be holding a live cybercast with analysts discussing the future of the NHL. If there were to be any last minute shuffling they would probably comment there first.

Then it is on to the press conference, and the worst that could happen to the NHL.

chris
"It wasn't Mike Eruzione shouting his own name that finally convinced coach Brooks to stop making the players do sprints. It was Mark Johnson, who smashed his stick against the glass in a fit of rage." Movie Mistakes and Bloopers

My Devils Photos

Work

#202 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:02 PM

I agree that the sabres and such won't go up to the limit but there will be considerable pressure to go above what they are now because of the agents pressure due to "cap room".

Yes the owner can say no. But they haven't been able to in the past.

Also, there will be even more FA's out there b/c clubs like Philly & Toronto will need to cut players to get under the cap. maybe they'll renegotiate salaries but I bet a player would rather be cut and renegotiate than renegotiate a contract that is already cut by 24%.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#203 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:07 PM

Anyone watching the cybercast?

Glenn Healy just said his sources say $45 million will get it done....

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#204 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:08 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I turned it on, but all it's been for me so far has been advertisements :noclue:

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#205 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:09 PM

$45's about the max I'd take before I agree with Don about the deal being lunacy. Hell I was advocating a $40-45 million cap months ago.

If both sides can agree to it why don't both sides get their egos out of their ass and mutually agree to it??? :argh:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#206 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:10 PM

Yeah -- but who's OFFERING 45? <_<
A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

#207 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do I picture "Lucky Duck" or I mean the new one Chuck, dropping down when either side says 45 mil? :lol:
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#208 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:12 PM

Nobody PK, it's all about who's got the biggest dvck right now. Neither side wants to be seen as the one who budged last. So we might wind up with a canceled season because of ego (not that it would ever have been about anything else).
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#209 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:13 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I turned it on, but all it's been for me so far has been advertisements :noclue:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn every time they start talking again, I get a call someone with a network problem!! Dont these people understand Im busy??? :lol:

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#210 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:15 PM

Nobody PK, it's all about who's got the biggest dvck right now.  Neither side wants to be seen as the one who budged last.  So we might wind up with a canceled season because of ego (not that it would ever have been about anything else).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:doh1: dammit! Now you've got me thinking about Scott Stevens again... :(
A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

#211 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,813 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:17 PM

oh yea, 45 million. Lets go!

did Healy say that was Bettmans proposal?

Edited by '7', 16 February 2005 - 12:17 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#212 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:22 PM

Is Bettman's PC going to be televised in the US? I know tsn.ca will cast it but anything more live? ESPNNEWS maybe?
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#213 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No clue, he did not mention who...but to me thats not important...just get this thing done already

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#214 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Is Bettman's PC going to be televised in the US? I know tsn.ca will cast it but anything more live? ESPNNEWS maybe?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bet WFAN will carry it.

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#215 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:23 PM

That was a GREAT Enterprise Rent-A-Car commerical!! OH YEAH!!!

Im losing it :lol:

Edited by Legend Of the Clown Banner, 16 February 2005 - 12:23 PM.

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#216 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:23 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they're actually supposed to show or at least you can hear both press conferences on WFAN believe it or not (presuming no more Giambi press conferences :P), so try YES if you got it and I know you do :lol:

#217 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:25 PM

I also love this Countdown to Cancellation with the countdown of the time...I feel like this is New Year's and Dick Clark will show up to drop the ball!!! :lol:

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#218 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:25 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No clue, he did not mention who...but to me thats not important...just get this thing done already

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone has been saying since last night that 'sources indicate' both sides could live with $45-46 million, the clock's about 40 minutes and counting so we'll find out if those reports are true or not...

#219 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:27 PM

I also love this Countdown to Cancellation with the countdown of the time...I feel like this is New Year's and Dick Clark will show up to drop the ball!!!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or as RD reminded me last night, this is like the trade deadline...especially given the 1 PM deadline doesn't neccesarily have to stick (i.e. it CAN get pushed back at the last minute I suppose).

#220 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:32 PM

this tsn thing isnt working for me but the nhl.com is streaming the conference at 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users