293 replies to this topic

#141 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:34 AM

Bettman can't compromise and get the cap to $46 million????  Give me a break.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He will. He HAS TO.

#142 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,276 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:40 AM

Bettman can't compromise and get the cap to $46 million???? Give me a break.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He will. He HAS TO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell that to the 23 owners that would have to agree to a deal. If it were just up to Bettman that would be one thing, remember his offer is the max of what won't get voted down by eight teams. There is no more room for negotiation at this point and the players have to recognize that. Winning the PR war isn't enough they'll destroy the sport if they don't just get off this $50+ million soft cap nonsense.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#143 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,025 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:23 AM

im still not sure what to think, less than 6 hours until we find out *bangs head against wall*

#144 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:27 AM

It will get done, I would be shocked if it didn't

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#145 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:39 AM

I do not think that Bettman will not make another offer.
When he said final, he meant final.

At 11:05, we will know the answer.

#146 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:05 AM

I do not think that Bettman will not make another offer.
When he said final, he meant final.

At 11:05, we will know the answer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He also said there had to be a link between revs & payroll.... unitl he decided to drop that on monday....

At this point they are so close I think its a PR nightmare for BOTH sides if they donot get something done...

Most of us had come togri[ps with the fact that the season was over... then all this crap the last 48 hours have given us more hope hen we have had since July.... they blow this now... alot of people are going to be PISSED!!!
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#147 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:19 AM

Well I think all along the buzz-word was for certainty, and the cap provides for that. Of course, the cap alone is not as certain as a "cap with linkage" but I do not see that the NHL is giving up that much by dropping the linkage issue.

BTW, Red - only 2 more posts for you to hit 2000, so Congrats !

#148 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:24 AM

I'mnot so sure... the NHL has no idea how the corp sponsors will react, how the corp season ticket holders will react, how the non fanatical fans will react....

TV contract alone is not enough for the NHL.... in the long run I think the cap will do it job but this season and next could be tough on the owner....at 42 mil or 49 mil....
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#149 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:33 AM

There is a huge gap here. The NHL proposed a $42.5 million hard cap vs. the NHLPA proposal of a $49 million soft cap that could be as much as $53.9 million depending on the circumstances.

If Goodenow was serious about saving the season, he would've come back with a "soft" cap below Bettman's 42.5, and his "circumstantial" cap would've been in the 45 mil range. JMHO
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#150 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:38 AM

I agree Liz. Goodenow's offer includes letting teams spend 10% over the cap in several years of the 6 year deal. That is a luxury tax on top of the cap.

The union is nuts. I would be shocked if the NHL negotiates against it's "final" offer.

#151 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:53 AM

So lets use the NHL's 42 mil cap number and then include the NHLPA's 10% overage with a 150% tax on that overage but make the overage available every year. I really think the sides are too close not to make this happen today considering the rate of giving in both have been going through.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#152 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:15 AM

McKenzie's logic is stupid, everyone knows not every team is going to go up to the cap.

He's also a fool for believing that Bettman made his final offer. If that is true, he's an idiot. How can you make a final offer, ever, in negotiation, and expect someone to accept it? Final offers were meant to be broken.

Offer 45 and be done with it. If the PA doesn't accept 45, it's their fault. But the owners can't be stupid here, they can live with losing an extra 2 million a season if that's what it comes down to.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#153 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:17 AM

Offer 45 and be done with it.  If the PA doesn't accept 45, it's their fault.  But the owners can't be stupid here, they can live with losing an extra 2 million a season if that's what it comes down to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

45 mil, that seems to be the magic number on everyone's mind. Let's hope it's on Bettman's.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#154 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:22 AM

There is a huge gap here. The NHL proposed a $42.5 million hard cap vs. the NHLPA proposal of a $49 million soft cap that could be as much as $53.9 million depending on the circumstances.

If Goodenow was serious about saving the season, he would've come back with a "soft" cap below Bettman's 42.5, and his "circumstantial" cap would've been in the 45 mil range. JMHO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. If the league comes off of their final offer I bet they don't go above 44. I have no problem with them sticking at 42.5 and canceling the season if that is what it takes. I fear that any soft cap or higher number may get us through this year but the problem will be when new contracts come up. The 24% roll back will quickly evaporate.

Contraction won't happen for the reasons people have stated above regarding the owners of those teams. The buy outs of those teams will evaporate any cost savings from the roll-back.

I have an idea, let the PA take over the Pittsburgh team. Let that jackhole Goodenow run a team, negotiate salaries and watch the cash drain from the union's war chest.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#155 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:29 AM

The rollback won't evaporate with a cap at 42.5 or 45. That's why it'll work. Guys like Yashin and Guerin getting 9 million will only be getting 7 million, and that's what the elite players will be paid from now on. Remember, there will be 12 teams up against the cap already, and eighteen who probably won't get there. You'll see a lot less long-term deals because teams are going to need room to manuever.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#156 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:30 AM

Well, Tri, in all fairness, 7 million will be the elite SALARY... wouldn't exactly consider Yashin anything close to an elite PLAYER. :-)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#157 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:36 AM

less than 90 minutes before we find out...

#158 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:49 AM

Still say these last minute efforts are just so each side can blame the other over the summer.

The owners do not have to cave. Just like NHL players took AHL jobs, there are plenty of AHL and IHL players who will play in the 'new' NHL. If you don't think so, look at the examples the NFL and MLB set. Players need owners more then the other way around.
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#159 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:52 AM

SO is this press conference at 10am or 1pm? This morning I was hearing 10am :noclue:
A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

#160 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:53 AM

Goodenow needs to answer by 11, Gary holds a press conference at 1, I think.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users