293 replies to this topic

#161 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:55 AM

less than 90 minutes before we find out...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dont you just love the anticipation?!?!? :lol:

This is just the beginning too!

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#162 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:57 AM

Players announced press conference at 4pm.... looks like we are done.

They ar enot doing that to say they have agreed.

It will be their rebuttal of whatever Bettman says.
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#163 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:04 AM

Players announced press conference at 4pm.... looks like we are done.

They ar enot doing that to say they have agreed.

It will be their rebuttal of whatever Bettman says.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goodenow just moved up the queen and said "Check"...Bettman, block the king with the pawns!!!!

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#164 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:07 AM

You are dreaming, 7.  No teams will be 'going under' as a result of either proposal:  there IS REVENUE SHARING INVOLVED.  I don't think you understand negotiation either.

smelly, 45 million isn't ideal.  I think the league would've liked the number to be around 39 million and who knows, they may not budge off 42.5 (which is really 40.5).  It's not a complete win for the owners, especially in light of the fact that the players will still get paid and the owners are going to take it in the face for years to come as a result of this lockout.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tri, the 42.5 isn't really 40.5, as far as I know. It doesn't include benefits. As far as I understand it the 42.5 is the salaries, and only the salaries. Each team can then spend an additional 2.0 million for benefits & such. That gets possible spending per team up to 44.5 million.

I'd like to see them play as well. But I have a bad feeling that it is all too late now.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#165 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:07 AM

I agree with msweet, why 2 press conferences ?

#166 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:08 AM

Tri, the 42.5 isn't really 40.5, as far as I know.  It doesn't include benefits.  As far as I understand it the 42.5 is the salaries, and only the salaries.  Each team can then spend an additional 2.0 million for benefits & such.  That gets possible spending per team up to 44.5 million.

I'd like to see them play as well.  But I have a bad feeling that it is all too late now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, 42.5 for salaries, 2.2 extra for benefits, total NHL offer is 44.7

#167 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:18 AM

seriously I was mad last week when i thought the season was dead... but getting my hopes up w/ all the positioning the last 2 days just to cancel the season anyway... I'll be twiced as pissed....

Look slik eits back to MLB...becuase if this season ends today .... I'm DONE!!! I may... MAY remain a casual fan... but thats it...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#168 njdevils_info

njdevils_info

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:19 AM

I agree with msweet, why 2 press conferences ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I suppose to get the other side of it. Like Brooks will be there to get the "real" story :rolleyes:
Posted Image<br>/\/ of the Jumbotron and it's 2 Ribbons<br><br>
Favorite Doc-ism:<br>* "I have a tremendous grasp for the obvious."<br><br>
Facorite Chico-isms:<br>Chico: "Actually its Brylin who jumped out with Pandolfo. I don't know if Madden was tired or if there's a problem..."<br>Doc: "The problem will be relieved as he comes out of the penalty box now!"<br>Chico: "Oh yeah that's right!"

#169 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:31 AM

seriously I was mad last week when i thought the season was dead...  but getting my hopes up w/ all the positioning the last 2 days just to cancel the season anyway...  I'll be twiced as pissed.... 

Look slik eits back to MLB...becuase if this season ends today .... I'm DONE!!!  I may... MAY remain a casual fan...  but thats it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking that way too, about just being a csual fan...but yet I am still a big MLB fan and they lost a WORLD SERIES and playoffs which is basically the season...and yet I cane back...granted the NHL may lose the season and playoffs, but realistically why wouldnt I come back if I still watch baseball?

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#170 njdevils_info

njdevils_info

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:41 AM

Most of us will be back for that very reason. The answer is "Why not?" Yah it sucks royaly if we loose a season, but as Gretzkey said recently, this needs to get done. If the NHL wants to survive, all 30 clubs, we need this cap. And if you go much higher than 42.5 (plus 2.2 for player benefits), then it almost becomes pointless. Still, something is better than nothing.

Edited by njdevils_info, 16 February 2005 - 10:42 AM.

Posted Image<br>/\/ of the Jumbotron and it's 2 Ribbons<br><br>
Favorite Doc-ism:<br>* "I have a tremendous grasp for the obvious."<br><br>
Facorite Chico-isms:<br>Chico: "Actually its Brylin who jumped out with Pandolfo. I don't know if Madden was tired or if there's a problem..."<br>Doc: "The problem will be relieved as he comes out of the penalty box now!"<br>Chico: "Oh yeah that's right!"

#171 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:49 AM

[quote name='Legend Of the Clown Banner' date='Feb 16 2005, 10:31 AM'][quote name='redruM' date='Feb 16 2005, 10:18 AM']seriously I was mad last week when i thought the season was dead...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#172 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:52 AM

Goodenow needs to answer by 11, Gary holds a press conference at 1, I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

answer what? it was Goodenow who made the latest offer at 49 mil, now Gary has o try and meet him in the middle somewhere.

something has to be done, otherwise EVERYBODY LOSES

the players lose because the cap would have to come down

bettman loses since it would pretty much guarantee the contraction of more teams than he stands to lose with a 44-46mil cap. the league would be in financial ruin.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#173 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:53 AM

Well there is the difference...

Ican honestly say I have not watch a compete ining of regular season baseball since they cancelled the world series...

and most i have watched is 2 full ining on 1 game of playoff baseball.

Oh, I misunderstood you, I thought you stayed a baseball fan...my mistake there....

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#174 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:53 AM

2 press conferences so they can both declare victory, or both blame each other.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#175 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:57 AM

2 press conferences so they can both declare victory, or both blame each other.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably..

But there is no reason why the PC's cannot be pushed back...its not like we have waited to hear about the fate of the NHL season that long, have we? (Sarcasm off) :D

Edited by Legend Of the Clown Banner, 16 February 2005 - 10:57 AM.

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#176 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:00 AM

DING!!! Its 11:00am, do you know where the new CBA is????

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#177 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:02 AM

have no fear, Bettman has not made his final offer.

he'd be a fool not to offer up at least 44 mil. I think the players would accept that.

Edited by '7', 16 February 2005 - 11:03 AM.

#178 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:02 AM

Deadline passes for NHLPA to accept NHL deal

TSN.ca Staff with CP files

2/16/2005

NEW YORK - The National Hockey League's deadline for the NHL Players' Association to accept its $42.5 million hard cap proposal has passed, with all signs pointing to commissioner Gary Bettman announcing the cancellation of the 2004-2005 season at a 1pm et/10am pt news conference in New York (live on TSN and TSN.ca).

Neither side has contacted each other since wrapping up a public letter-writing campaign Tuesday night, when the NHL and the union stood pat with a $6.5 million gap.

Click on to TSN.ca for all the latest updates.

The only letter that came on Wednesday was a press release from the NHLPA saying it had scheduled its own news conference for 4pm et/1pm pt in Toronto.

Related Info
McKenzie: I don't see any hope
NHL, NHLPA separated by $6.5 million
Bettman-Goodenow correspondence
Players surprised at salary cap move

The league and Players' Association came off a tumultuous 48-hour period which saw both sides break down barriers that had existed for more than two years.

The league took less than an hour to reject the NHLPA's offer of a $49-million team-by-team salary cap Tuesday night, sticking to the $42.5-million submission it made earlier in the evening.

"If every team spent to the $49-million level you have proposed, total player compensation would exceed what we spent last season and, assuming for discussion purposes, there was no damage to the game, our player compensation costs would exceed 75 per cent of revenues," Bettman wrote in his second letter of the day to NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow. "We cannot afford your proposal.

"Our offer of earlier (Tuesday) was a $75-million increase over the offer we made (Monday). I hope you will accept it, and that we can move forward and negotiate the myriad of other issues that need to be addressed."

Two hours after that rejection, Goodenow fired a letter back at Bettman.

"Your claim that the clubs cannot afford our proposal is based on your hypothetical fear of what would happen "if every team spent to the $49-million leve the players have proposed,"' wrote Goodenow. "The notion that every club will spend at the $49-million level is contradicted by years of actual payroll experience under the old CBA system..."

Goodenow then added, "You will receive nothing further from us."

Goodenow had taken just over four hours to turn down the league's offer of a $42.5-million salary cap, an offer Bettman warned did not warrant further negotiations.

The league's offer features a $42.5-million cap, with a luxury tax of 50 per cent on payrolls from $34 million to $42.5 million. Offers from both sides in the last two days included a salary rollback of 24 per cent on all existing player contracts and covered six full seasons.

Aside from dropping its cap figure from $52 million to $49 million on Tuesday night, the union also restructured the exception provision so that teams can only go over the cap twice during the six-year term and "for up to only 10 per cent over the limit of $49 million (to $53.9 million), at the tax rate of 150 per cent."

The rest of the luxury tax would worked like this: 25 per cent on $40 million-$43 million, 50 per cent on $43 million-$46 million and 75 per cent from $46 million-$49 million. The deal also included a minimum payroll of $25 million.

The NHLPA's previous offer Monday allowed provisions for teams to spend as much as 10 per cent more than that on three occasions in a six-year period. The luxury tax worked at 25 per cent on $40 million-$44 million; 50 per cent on $44 million-$48 million; 75 per cent on $48 million-$52 million and 150 per cent on $52 million-$57.2 million.

The league's $42.5-million salary cap would be the figure for all six years of the new collective bargaining agreement.

Counting the rollback of 24 per cent, four teams are currently over the $42.5-million figure before signing any free agents. Detroit ($43.38 million), New Jersey ($46.32 million), Philadelphia ($50 million) and Toronto ($46.6 million) would be over. Dallas ($40.77 million) and Colorado ($40.27 million) would be on the bubble without signing anyone else.

Through Wednesday, 840 of the 1,230 regular-season games have gone by the wayside.

If an agreement can still be reached, the league has a shortened schedule ready to go that would see teams play 28 regular-season games, playing only within their conference. The playoffs would stay the same

#179 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:03 AM

I still believe!!!!!

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#180 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:04 AM

[quote name='redruM' date='Feb 16 2005, 10:49 AM'][quote name='Legend Of the Clown Banner' date='Feb 16 2005, 10:31 AM'][quote name='redruM' date='Feb 16 2005, 10:18 AM']seriously I was mad last week when i thought the season was dead...

Edited by Darwindog, 16 February 2005 - 11:06 AM.

A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users