Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#22 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 10:28 PM

I just remember we traded Chambers to the Stars for whats his face, And how did we get Doug Bodger?? For Maclean???

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#23 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,360 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 10:33 PM

how about Tom Kurvers to Toronto for a draft pick that would turn out to be Scott Niedermayer.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#24 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 10:35 PM

How about the best move by this franchise ever when they drafted Martin Brodeur in the 1990 draft (1st round 20th overall)

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#25 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 10:54 PM

^7^ coming up nice with the best trade Lou ever made. I torment the Laffs fans on pb.com every so often on that one.

How about Hankinson and Semak for Cole and Chambers....that's how we got Chambers.

Semak disappeared talent wise.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#26 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,903 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 12:17 AM

Unfortunately most of my Devils knowledge only goes back about a decade; who was it that we traded Sylvain Turgeon for, Lemieux or Richer? I think it was Richer, but either way that was another pretty good deal to add to the list, though I'd agree the Nieds deal was probably the best and the Brylin under the table arrangement not too far behind.

Worst deal: The one I personally had the most distaste for (even after winning the Cup and even though Souray's not been healthy in Montreal) was the Malacough deal; three guys for a rental floater and malcontent. Here's another less-talked about candidate: Terreri for nothing but what, future considerations in '96 leaving us without a proven backup goalie and costing us a playoff berth.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#27 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 12:53 AM

Worst trade: The Bicek trade... 'cause it hasn't happened yet, and now he's even publicly declared he won't be back next year for the Devils.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#28 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 01:43 AM

We got Chambers from the Bolts back in 95. He wasn't traded to the Stars, rather he left as a free agent. And yea, it was Bodger and Dody Wood we got in the Maclean deal. Had Johnny Mac not gone public with his trade demand, Lou probably could have swung a better deal.

Has, I'm pretty sure it was Lemieux we got in the Turgeon trade. We got Richer and Chorske in the Muller deal with Montreal.

The Richer for Odelien deal stung me at the time, but as much as people won't admit it, Odelien played some good defense for the Devs until the 99-2000 season.

The Gilmour deal looks bad now, but at the time it had to be done.

I still think that the Malakhov deal goes down as one of Lou's most underrated, simply because I don't see the Devs winning in 2000 without him. However, Lou bringing back Claude is still my favorite deal, even though he left in 2001. It gave me one last season to see old #22 in a Devs sweater, and thankfully lift the Cup as a Devil again.

#29 BFett

BFett

Prospect

• Suspended
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 08:24 AM

how about Tom Kurvers to Toronto for a draft pick that would turn out to be Scott Niedermayer.

yeah this has to be one of the best ones
for alot of that year the Leafs were in last place and the Devils almost got teh 1st overall pick which ended up going to Quebec who chose Lindross

#30 BFett

BFett

Prospect

• Suspended
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 08:25 AM

How about the best move by this franchise ever when they drafted Martin Brodeur in the 1990 draft (1st round 20th overall)

did you know the actaull traded down for that pick?

#31 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 08:26 AM

WIth who BFett?

If that's true it is a great piece of Devil's History!!!

Great Post!
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#32 BFett

BFett

Prospect

• Suspended
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 08:29 AM

The Morrisson for Mogilny thing realy stings now becaese AlMoe was allowed to walk for zilcho while BreMoe is now lighting it up.

Also, in the Lemeiux for Rolston, let;s not forget Lamoiello also got a decent draft pick back in addition to Cuade.

#33 BFett

BFett

Prospect

• Suspended
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 08:40 AM

WIth who BFett?

If that's true it is a great piece of Devil's History!!!

Great Post!

The Devs held the #11 overlal pick in the 1990 draft.
Teh Calgary Flames held teh #20 pick.
The flames wanted to draf a goalie named Trevor Kidd :huh: , but they did not think he would be around anymore when they got to their pick at #20.
So the Devils and Flames agreed to swap first round slots. The Devs gave the Flames their #11 spot and they took the Flames #20 spot. I guess the Devils felt that the guy they wanted, Martin Brodeur, would still be around at #20. The rest is histiry.
So yeah, the Flames actually traded up to get Kidd and passed on Marty.

Some other interesting names that got drafted that year after the infamous Trevor Kidd: Turner Stevenson at #12(Mont. from St. Louis), Keith Thacuk at #19(Wpg. from Buf.), Bryan Smolinski at #21(Bos.), Felix Potvin at #31(Tor.), Doug Weight at #34(NYR), and Geoff Sanderson at #36(Hfd.).

#34 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 08:43 AM

The flames wanted to draf a goalie named Trevor Kidd :huh: , but they did not think he would be around anymore when they got to their pick at #20.
So the Devils and Flames agreed to swap first round slots. The Devs gave the Flames their #11 spot and they took the Flames #20 spot.

What did the Devils get for swapping?
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#35 BFett

BFett

Prospect

• Suspended
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 08:47 AM

So the Devils and Flames agreed to swap first round slots. The Devs gave the Flames their #11 spot and they took the Flames #20 spot.

Good question. This I'm not too sure about.
Cash maybe?
Anyone?
Bueller? Bueller?

#36 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 09:17 AM

I believe the Devils got an additional pick. I don't recall what round it was in though.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#37 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 09:27 AM

The Devs held the #11 overlal pick in the 1990 draft.
Teh Calgary Flames held teh #20 pick.
So the Devils and Flames agreed to swap first round slots. The Devs gave the Flames their #11 spot and they took the Flames #20 spot. I guess the Devils felt that the guy they wanted, Martin Brodeur, would still be around at #20. The rest is histiry.
So yeah, the Flames actually traded up to get Kidd and passed on Marty.

At the time, Kidd was rated the #1 goaltender available in the draft. There was a poll of 20 scouts in The Hockey News. 19 said that Kidd was the better of the two goaltenders. One unnamed scout said Brodeur was better. I'll bet that one scout was David Conte. If true, the Devils made out in the deal because they weren't going to draft Kidd anyway!! :lol:
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#38 LIDevsFan1

LIDevsFan1

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 12:06 PM

yeah this has to be one of the best ones
for alot of that year the Leafs were in last place and the Devils almost got teh 1st overall pick which ended up going to Quebec who chose Lindross

I think we missed getting Lindros by 2-3 points. Instead of hating the guy, half of you would have 88 jerseys.

#39 LIDevsFan1

LIDevsFan1

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 12:11 PM

While not a trade, the best "deal" Lou ever made was convincing the league to force St. Lou to give up Scott Stevens in the Shanahan tampering fiasco. Although Shanahan has done quite well in his own right, I'm not sure the Devs have two cups without Stevens.

#40 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 12:38 PM

...I'm not sure the Devs have two cups without Stevens.

Same can be said for Niedermayer. I, for one, am glad we have him instead of Lindros.

But it is fun to imagine what things would be like if we had Lindros in a Devils' sweater... ahh, counterfactual analysis.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users