70 replies to this topic

#41 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 12:51 PM

How bout dumping Sean Burke (since Brodeur was ready) for Bobby Holik and Eric Weinrich?

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#42 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 01:22 PM

truth be told, i'm not sure that lindros wouldn't have made a stink with the devils like he did with quebec. yeah, he didn't want to deal with french canada and the currency difference. but i'm not sure that he wasn't demanding a major city as well.

furthermore, i'm not sold on the fact that we win a cup (let alone two) with concussion head as opposed to Neidermayer. what i can virtually guarantee is that we wouldn't win MORE than 2 with lindros and he'd cost more that wouldn't go to other players. i'd say that we are certainly better off with how it turned out.

let's just be happy that we didn't take Pat Falloon!

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#43 Blackjack

Blackjack

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 02:14 PM

I think we missed getting Lindros by 2-3 points. Instead of hating the guy, half of you would have 88 jerseys.

You think Carl Lindros would've let his son play for NJ? :joker:

I'm thinking we would all have Forsburg jerseys. :(

#44 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 03:17 PM

Actually, the Burke deal was even better because they also received a #2 1993 Draft Pick from Hartford which turned into Jay Pandolfo.

So, it was Burke and Weinrich for Holik and Pandolfo.

Another great deal was Sylvain Turgeon for Claude Lemieux.

I think one of their best moves was actually based on compensation. Troy Crowder signed with Detroit and the Devils were awarded Dave Barr and Randy McKay.

If you go a step further, that's also how they got Scott Stevens when Shanahan signed w/ the Blues. So, if you really think about it, the Devils got a little lucky in the players they received back.

Another deal nobody mentioned was stealing Neal Broten away from the Stars for Corey Millen. Broten arguably could have won the Conn Smythe in 1995. He was brilliant scoring some big goals.

An underrated deal took place on 6/22/96.

1st Part: Obtained Jeff Reese, Chicago's #2 (Pierre Dagenais) #8 (Jason Bertsch) 1996 Draft Picks from Tampa Bay for Corey Schwab.

2nd Part: Obtained Toronto's #2 (Josh Dewolf which later became Malakhov in Souray deal), #2 (Colin White) 1996 Draft Picks from Pittsburgh for San Jose's #2 1996 Draft Pick (Pavel Skrbek).

Acquired Jason Arnott and Bryan Muir from Edmonton for Bill Guerin and Valeri Zelepukin.

Obtained #4 1998 Draft Pick (Mikko Jokela) from Chicago for Reid Simpson.

Jokela is the Rats' best defenseman and will be a future Devil in a year or two. He's an offensive skating d-man. He's probably your only D prospect at Albany.

Here's a couple of more interesting ones. Take note of the first one.

Obtained Boston's #4 1998 Draft Pick (Pierre Dagenais) from LA for Doug Bodger. Yep, Lamoriello drafted Dage twice because he must have really been high on him. And when you consider how quickly he got dumped, it didn't work out.

I bet most didn't know this next one:

6/27/98- Acquired #1 1998 Draft Pick (Scott Gomez) from Dallas for Carolina's #2 (John Erskine), #2 (Tyler Bouck who bounced around a lot since then) Draft Picks.

Next Part for NJayDevil: Obtained Pittsburgh's #2 1998 Draft Pick (Brian Gionta) from Edmonton for #4 (Kristian Antila), #5 (Oleg Smirnov) 1998 Draft Picks, rights to Fredrik Lindqvist.

For MaddDog: 6/26/97- Signed John Madden as a free agent.

For any Raf fan: 6/18/99- Signed Brian Rafalski as free agent.

Conclusion: It can be said the Devils are excellent at drafting. If you look at how many of these deals were pick swaps and the guys they got, it's a key way their current roster was built. Had Dagenais made it, they would have been in even better shape than they are up front. It's also hard to believe they got Madden and Rafalski for nothing.

All info taken from the 2000-01 Media Guide.

Hope you enjoyed it.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#45 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 03:25 PM

One more thing about the swap of picks that brought up Gomer. He was pretty sure the Devs were going to pick him so he was a little disappointed when they picked Van Ryn instead. Then he was confused because someone at the Devs table winked at him & since they didn't pick him he didn't know why.
Then they traded up and picked him & he figured it out!!!
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#46 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 03:47 PM

The broten deal was always a funny one to me. He was awesome and we got a cup in large part due to him. But did you know that Millen was dealt to the Flames for now Devil Joe Neiuwendyk. I'm not a big fan of If A then B reasoning. But I wonder what woulda happened had we traded Millen for Joe ourselves and left Broten out of the picture?

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#47 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 03:49 PM

The broten deal was always a funny one to me. He was awesome and we got a cup in large part due to him. But did you know that Millen was dealt to the Flames for now Devil Joe Neiuwendyk. I'm not a big fan of If A then B reasoning. But I wonder what woulda happened had we traded Millen for Joe ourselves and left Broten out of the picture?

The Flames got Iginla for Niewy. So it would have had to be something besides Millen if we were going to do a trade directly for Joe at that time.

2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#48 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 03:55 PM

Sue, you beat me to it :lol: . On Newy getting dealt to Dallas which involved Iginla.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#49 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 05:19 PM

Broten really lit the lamp in the '95 SC playoffs......definitely worth it.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#50 Blackjack

Blackjack

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 05:47 PM

The best deal we ever made was the deal the Blues made. They signed Shanny and hello Scott Stevens. :D

Also, Derek, where did you hear that Jokela is an offensive defenseman? I was under the impression that he was a hard hitting dman and that Paul Martin was our only offensive defenseman prospect.

#51 LIDevsFan1

LIDevsFan1

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 05:50 PM

Broten really lit the lamp in the '95 SC playoffs......definitely worth it.

Didn't he (Broten) have an OT goal against Pittsburgh in the quarterfinals ??? It was either him or mclean but that was sweet.

#52 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 06:21 PM

Blackjack, I saw Jokela play a couple of times last year. He has a good shot from the point and is a solid skater. He also put up some points in his first season last year.

MaddDog can vouch for me.

#53 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,542 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 07:43 PM

Derek, I had forgotten about the deal with Dallas to get Gomez. I remember I was watching the draft and was excited the Devils had made that deal.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#54 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 11:44 PM

Top D-Man Prospects in the Devils' System:

Paul Martin -- offensive defenseman, but solid on defense; "the next Niedermayer," sayeth HockeyDB

Matt DeMarchi -- strong defensive defenseman

Mikko Jokela -- stay-at-home d-man with offensive abilities, can be physical at times

Viktor Uchevatov -- defensive defenseman (HockeyDB insinuates he should not be looked to offensively at all) with average skills that can (and should) improve

Anton Kadeykin -- physical defenseman with limited offensive capabilities (at the present)

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#55 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 12:13 PM

The Gilmour deal was a bad one??!! Those of you who think that it was a bad trade are using that "hindsight is 20/20" BS.

That trade was an absolute NO-BRAINER at the time. We got a star player for two seasons (yeah, he ended up hurt a lot, I know) and at the time he was considered to be the missing piece the Devils needed. Without him, Ottawa would have swept us in 1998, LMAO!

Honestly, I can't think of ONE time that Lou was taken to the cleaners on a trade. There's no Naslund-for-Stojanov trades on Lou's resume. But there a lot of brilliant ones, like the Mogilny, Richer, Holik and Lemieux deals (especially the first one with Monteal).

#56 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 12:20 PM

Honestly, I can't think of ONE time that Lou was taken to the cleaners on a trade. There's no Naslund-for-Stojanov trades on Lou's resume. But there a lot of brilliant ones, like the Mogilny, Richer, Holik and Lemieux deals (especially the first one with Monteal).

Well, he WAS taken to the cleaners on the Verbeek for "Turgeon the gutless wonder" trade. BUT, he was then able to palm Sylvain off on the Habs for Pepe. So he's forgiven.

#57 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 12:26 PM

Good call, Sue.

#58 LIDevsFan1

LIDevsFan1

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 12:42 PM

The Gilmour deal was a bad one??!! Those of you who think that it was a bad trade are using that "hindsight is 20/20" BS.

That trade was an absolute NO-BRAINER at the time. We got a star player for two seasons (yeah, he ended up hurt a lot, I know) and at the time he was considered to be the missing piece the Devils needed. Without him, Ottawa would have swept us in 1998, LMAO!

I think you're right, in that we would have been swept by Ottawa. That series was so disappointing----it even sent Lemaire packing.

For a bad trade how about the deal that sent Lemieux in I think a three-way deal for Steve Thomas. I know it was financially driven, but I will always think if we had Pepe we win a few more playoff series (or make the playoffs) in the 96-99 era when the team had the talent to win the cup every year.

#59 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 01:21 PM

LIDevsFan,

The Claude deal in 1995 was the worst one Lou made, I agree. That whole faxed-contract thing was a bizarre and unfortunate situation. We lost our playoff hero and Steve Thomas was a disappointment here.

By the way, I hear it's snowing like crazy on the Island, more than in NJ.

#60 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 01:43 PM

I think the deal that brought Darren Quint here for about 1 day until Lou kicked his a$$ to the curb $ucked. I don't remeber the trade. It very well may have been a good trade but the Darren Quint expulsion had always been a mystery to me.

NOOOOO that trade was one of the BEST ones!!! We got rid of that plyon pretending to be a defenseman, Odious!!!!! :lol: WOO HOO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users