70 replies to this topic

#61 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 01:46 PM

To this day i really still dislike the O'Donnell for Mitchell trade. Sean absolutely sucked while here, and if we still had Mitchell there would be no albelin and Dano would possibly be the 7th.

Same here, I have always considered this deal to be one of Lou's rare SCREW UPS. Maybe I wouldn't dislike it so much if the d-man we got back was actually somewhat GOOD (UFA) and helped us repeat, but O'D (Part II) was pretty sh***y.

(Btw, heard that Mitchell was moved for off-ice issues rather than on ice - perhaps a 'tude problem or partying too much or?)

#62 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 01:47 PM

Worst trade: The Bicek trade... 'cause it hasn't happened yet, and now he's even publicly declared he won't be back next year for the Devils.

I can't say I blame him.... they haven't given him a chance for how many years?

#63 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 01:52 PM

I bet most didn't know this next one:

6/27/98- Acquired #1 1998 Draft Pick (Scott Gomez) from Dallas for Carolina's #2 (John Erskine), #2 (Tyler Bouck who bounced around a lot since then) Draft Picks.

Heh, I knew it :D . I remember going "Who the hell is GOMEZ?" and getting kind of pissed off though, when the Devs did it. I guess that I should always trust in Lou. :lol:

#64 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,427 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 01:53 PM

They've given him a chance to make the team for what, 5 years?

Jiri Bicek was never a good prospect, and he's never going to make the NHL. If he does it will be as a 13th/14th forward. Too small, doesn't score enough, doesn't seem like a defensive player either.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#65 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 01:53 PM

Also, Derek, where did you hear that Jokela is an offensive defenseman? I was under the impression that he was a hard hitting dman and that Paul Martin was our only offensive defenseman prospect.

I wouldn't call Jokela an offensive defenseman the caliber of say, a Rafalski, but he has some offensive abilities. His skating is decent, but he'll throw some hits too.. maybe he's more of a hybrid d.

#66 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 01:56 PM

They've given him a chance to make the team for what, 5 years?

Jiri Bicek was never a good prospect, and he's never going to make the NHL.  If he does it will be as a 13th/14th forward.  Too small, doesn't score enough, doesn't seem like a defensive player either.

Tri, I have a higher opinion of Bicek than you do, but maybe because I've watched him in Albany over the years. Having said that, I wasn't passing judgment either way on his decision to not want to return to the Devs. He hasn't gotten a chance to play in the NHL with them so I don't blame the guy for wanting to go to another organization.

#67 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,843 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 02:38 PM

Tri, Bicek put up decent numbers at Albany. He also did well in his recall in December 2001. I seem to remember him scoring in his first game and I think it was against Toronto.

He and Dagenais did well in their first stints.

I also remember this because MaddDog didn't get to see Jiri's goal thanks to Cablevi$ion :angry: .

It sucks that I never got those tapes I asked for :P .

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#68 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,427 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 02:42 PM

Bicek put up average numbers in Albany, and yes he did look OK during his recall in 2001. But he doesn't do anything particularly well, so he won't be an NHL player, period.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#69 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 05:10 PM

Just to clear up the earlier posts, Calgary got Corey Millen AND Jarome Iginla for Joe Nieuwendyk.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#70 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 06:59 PM

Did they get Iginla or the pick to get Iginla?

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#71 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 07:46 PM

THey got Iginla, hes was a Stars pick.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users