• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Devs82-83

Devs82-83

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:19 PM

Allow me to get a sense of the experience of our fellow hockey and Devils fans here.

Let me start: I've been a Devils fan since the first puck dropped back in 1982-83, as my user name on the site would indicate.

41 years old.

Larry Hirsch was the best ever Devils radiocaster and I wish they'd bring him back.

I wonder what Bob Butera is doing these days?

Originally from Yonkers, NY.

Hated it when they changed the jersey from Red & Green to Red & Black. Now I couldn't think of the Devs wearing anything else.

I hate the Rangers with a passion that borders on being dangerous.

Miss doing road trips to Hartford to see the Devs...one time when I was up there with a bunch of Devs fans I nearly got into a fight with a Whalers fan...them were the days.

That's a start.

#2 Devs82-83

Devs82-83

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:22 PM

Oh yeah, anyone here an actual member of the Devils fan club?

I was in the first year...some guy named "Ed" something or other was the first president if memory serves me correctly.

#3 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:24 PM

I'm a season ticket holder since game 1 as well, sitting as ever in......section 110.

There will never be anyone better than Larry Hirsch, the "Master Blaster"
Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com keeper of....CAA's Section 110 (for the first 25 years) and The Rock's Section 5 22 (for the next 25 years and beyond)

#4 GA Devil

GA Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:25 PM

I, too, took to the Devs at the drop of the puck.

39 years old. Grew up on Long Island.

Always wondered what the green and reds would've looked like using the current name/number fonts....and a tweak here and there to make the uni less...busy.

Never saw a game in Hartford. Did see the AHL Devils in Portland when they were the Maine Mariners.

Current fave Devil would be Gomez.
Let the celebration begin in the Daneyko household!!!!

#5 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:27 PM

I did see a game in the Mall. Joe Cirella was still playing for us. We tied 2-2
Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com keeper of....CAA's Section 110 (for the first 25 years) and The Rock's Section 5 22 (for the next 25 years and beyond)

#6 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Introduce Yourself forum? Maybe?
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#7 Devs82-83

Devs82-83

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Right on 110!

Do you remember in year # 2, a home game versus the rangers...we fell behind 5-0...came all the way back to win...I believe Bridgeman got the GW Goal...Hirsch was so excited that he lost all of his broadcast equipment jumping up and down...after he screamed "SCORE" at the top of his lungs - it then sounded like someone was falling down 10 flights of stairs.

Funny stuff.

#8 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:28 PM

I'm a relatively new Devils' fan, took notice when they won the first Cup, really became a fan in 2000. Call me a bandwagon fan all you want :P I am a fan. Does it really matter how I got here? :D Devils hockey is a family affair. :evil:

We HATE the Rags too! Flyers close second.

Edited by LizDevil30, 21 February 2005 - 11:28 PM.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#9 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:28 PM

and I'll never forget coming back from 2-0 against Pittsburgh in the last 3 minutes - Billy MacMillan, Steve Tambellini, and Aaron Broten scoring on three successive shots
Posted Image

#10 Devs82-83

Devs82-83

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:29 PM

Saw Devils farm team in Maine as well - also saw them in Glenns Falls NY in a game againt the then Adirondack Red Wings...Devs won it OT...Terreri was in goal and Murray Brumwell was the Utica captain.

Also saw them in Albany against I don't remember.

#11 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:29 PM

"You're listening to Newwwwww Jersey Devils Hockey on WMCA"
Posted Image

#12 Devs82-83

Devs82-83

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:30 PM

I was at that Pittsburgh game too!!!

That was awesome!

#13 Devs82-83

Devs82-83

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:32 PM

110 is it me - or do the game program they used to produced back in the first several years blow away the programs we now get at CAA?

#14 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:32 PM

I haven't bought a program in years
Posted Image

#15 Devs82-83

Devs82-83

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:34 PM

Remember Dale Arnold?

And to think that Larry Brooks (THE Larry Brooks!) was a one time Devils employee and former color commentator with Chris Moore on Devils radiocasts.

Oh yeah, Jan Ludvig was my first ever "favorite" Devil.

#16 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:35 PM

Remember "victory cards"??
Posted Image

#17 Devs82-83

Devs82-83

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:38 PM

I am ashamed to say that I do not...please tell me what they were and during what year? Maybe with a little help you'll jog my memory and help me to remember.

Let me add this though...we talk about Larry Hirsch and those first few years of Devils radiocasts...remember when larry would take calles from fans between periods with Fred Shero?

Lou Lams if you're reading this, that would be a nice touch to include once the games get back on the air on WFAN.

#18 Devs82-83

Devs82-83

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:42 PM

BTW how long has this board been active?

#19 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:42 PM

Victory cards were a gimmick used in the early days when we didn't win much and they wanted to encourage more fans to get into hockey.

Whenver we won a home game (rare, I know) as you left the arena you were handed a business sized "victory card" that when you compiled 5 of them (I think it was 5) you could get a free upper deck ticket to one of the games listed on the "victory card." Usually, those games were versus the poorer teams - never the Habs, Leafs, Patrick Division opponents or any other top team at the time.
Posted Image

#20 femalenynjazfan

femalenynjazfan

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:46 PM

Cool stories about the "Mickey Mouse" days, just kidding of course. I am too young to know what everyone is talking about as im 21 years old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users