3 replies to this topic

#1 Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:27 PM

As there are a few gamers here, I figured I'd pose the question. The first two episodes of the supposed six-part series have been released on the PS2. Xenosaga has a plot that draws upon theology, alchemy, and philosophy (as evidenced by the references to Nietzsche in each game's subtitle thus far), amongst many others.

Wikipedia has decent information pertaining to the series and its realization, including a (very brief) plot summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenosaga

I'd be lying to you if I were to say that the poignant narratives, memorable cast, and writing weren't far above anything that I have played in a game or game series. This project begs you to ponder constantly your being, as both the protagonists and antagonists are caught up in evolutionary and philosophical struggles.

I'm still trying to ingest the events that occurred near the end of Episode II, and I completed it a few days ago. If you enjoy a good plot or just a solid RPG, you absolutely must find a way to play each of the games (including Xenogears, the unrealized fifth installment of the series, on the PSX). I promise you that once you complete the games, as a whole, they will have engulfed your consciousness.
In professional hockey, the Devils are that rara avis, the team that is largely unmarked by the self-adoration and individualism prevalent amongst other organizations; the team that shines radiantly in the otherwise somber corporate sphere. Through many personnel changes and tribulations their pervasive, unwavering character and desire for victory have reigned triumphant. Whereas other teams may be alluring, the Devils have the rarest of traits: they are exemplary by nature.

#2 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:40 PM

So if I were to start this series should I start with xenogears because it was released first of xenosaga 1 because its the start of the series?
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#3 Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:56 PM

So if I were to start this series should I start with xenogears because it was released first of xenosaga 1 because its the start of the series?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since Takahashi decided to rework the series, I'd say to play Episode I, Episode II, then Xenogears (if at all). Xenogears is still one of my favorite RPGs (and games), and it's worthy of a play (although it clocks in at 45+ hours), but in the grand scheme of the series as it stands now, it's more of a glance ahead to a more fleshed out Episode V (with re-written dialogue, some different locations and similar characters with different names, as Monolith has to avoid legal conflict with Square-Enix).

Episode III won't be released for at least a year and a half here, so you'll have time to try each of those games if you wish.
In professional hockey, the Devils are that rara avis, the team that is largely unmarked by the self-adoration and individualism prevalent amongst other organizations; the team that shines radiantly in the otherwise somber corporate sphere. Through many personnel changes and tribulations their pervasive, unwavering character and desire for victory have reigned triumphant. Whereas other teams may be alluring, the Devils have the rarest of traits: they are exemplary by nature.

#4 Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:58 PM

Oh, and if you wanted to read a review of each episode, I'd recommend http://www.rpgfan.co...Xenosaga-1.html and http://www.rpgfan.co...de2/index2.html for Episodes I and II, respectively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users