• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Devs82-83

Devs82-83

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:32 PM

What is your opinion of the Devils marketing efforts.

People have been critical in years past of the clubs efforts in this area - however believe in the last 5-6 years they have shored this area up a lot.

When you consider that the Devs have a limited fan base in the New York area, and look at what they have done in Northern New Jersey, I think they are doing fine.

They have done commercial spots on many NY radio stations - had their games on WABC for over 10 yeras - and now will have their games on the premiere sports radio station in the country.

Thoughts?

#2 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:41 PM

What is this thing you speak of? :noclue:
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#3 Ice Man

Ice Man

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:44 PM

Devils Marketing Efforts?

Do the Devils know what marketing 101 is? If yes they haven't shown it. If No, then they have certainly demonstrated it perfectly with NO marketing.

#4 njdevils_info

njdevils_info

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:49 PM

In the past year or two I've seen some billboards on the side of highways... that's a good start I guess... but other than that I think they need to take a refresher course on what their jobs are.
Posted Image<br>/\/ of the Jumbotron and it's 2 Ribbons<br><br>
Favorite Doc-ism:<br>* "I have a tremendous grasp for the obvious."<br><br>
Facorite Chico-isms:<br>Chico: "Actually its Brylin who jumped out with Pandolfo. I don't know if Madden was tired or if there's a problem..."<br>Doc: "The problem will be relieved as he comes out of the penalty box now!"<br>Chico: "Oh yeah that's right!"

#5 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:50 PM

Ya when McMullen sold the Devils their markeing immediately got better. We'll see if it lasts now.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#6 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:53 PM

If I had to grade them probably a grade of: C-

The past two years or so have been an incredible improvement, but that really not saying much. They are still light years behind.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#7 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:06 PM

4 Stanley Cup Final appearance in 9 years is all the marketing they need!

They can only do so much as they are hamstrung by the poor media coverage in this area in TV/print/radio (and we got 3 teams!) so I guess what they could do is get the player's faces out there more often...

Otherwise they can just push the "brand" of the Devs in the local schools, support more rinks, teams etc.

#8 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:36 PM

I once tried to get a job in the marketing department when the club first started and in return got a beautiful letter from Peter Mc Mullen saying that the Devils organization was a small family business and were not looking for salesmen at the current time. I wish I still had the letter. You guys would've gotten a real kick out of it. :lol:

#9 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,593 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:47 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the current marketing attitude and it obviously does not work.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#10 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:33 PM

I once tried to get a job in the marketing department when the club first started and in return got a beautiful letter from Peter Mc Mullen saying that the Devils organization was a small family business and were not looking for salesmen at the current time.  I wish I still had the letter.  You guys would've gotten a real kick out of it.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In any case, sales and marketing are not the same thing. There are some things that we consider marketing that fall under promotion which in some organizations the sales force actually executes. But actual salesmen don't determine marketing strategy or decide how that budget will be spent.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#11 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:42 PM

Sorry, Sue. Only a figure of speech.

#12 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:36 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the current marketing attitude and it obviously does not work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sammy,

Ya see, I don't think any more marketing will get them more fans.
If you have had all that success, and obviously been on "somewhat" national TV for 2 more months than the rest of the NHL in those 4 Final years -- and still need to market, then the fans just are not there.
I'm not saying they should stop marketing, but everyone complains that they need to do more. I cannot see what more they can do than what they did in the past decade.
To me it starts at the youth level. It has to become part of the culture of the area, and perhaps there are just too many alternatives for entertainment in this area for the success of the Devils to be widespread.

#13 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:42 AM

Sorry, Sue.  Only a figure of speech.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Petey, it was nothing against you, I think it said something about the way the Devils handled marketing. To apply for a position in the Marketing Department and just be told they weren't hiring salesmen because they were a small family business tells you they didn't know the difference between the two, either.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#14 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:52 AM

'Well, actually, I was paraphrasing. The actual department was the Marketing, Sales and Promotion Dept. (to agree what you were saying) They claimed, if I remember correctly, that there were only 13 non-talent employees in the organization, but I guess it was too late, being my marketing degree was already about 10 or 12 years old at the time. It was either '82, '83 or '84. I dont remember which. P.S. I always blamed their unpopularity to be as a result of not hiring me. It's a winning argument which cant be proven one way or the other. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users