• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:17 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE THURSDAY, JUNE 2, 2005

REVEREND MONSIGNOR MICHAEL E. KELLY
RECIPIENT OF 2005 DR. JOHN J. McMULLEN
SERVICE TO NJ HOCKEY AWARD

East Rutherford, NJ Reverend Monsignor Michael E. Kelly, headmaster of Seton Hall Preparatory School since 1980, was today named the recipient of the 2005 Dr. John J. McMullen Service to New Jersey Hockey Award. The award has been presented annually since 1984 by the New Jersey Devils, to an individual or individuals who have supported amateur hockey throughout the state. Msgr. Kelly has been a member of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association's (NJSIAA) Ice Hockey Committee since 1995. During that ten-year period, the number of high school varsity ice hockey programs has increased to more than 130. Keeping the best interests of the student-athlete a top priority, he was behind the format change that doubled the number of teams participating in the Devils/NJSIAA High School Ice Hockey Championships at Continental Airlines Arena this year. Msgr. Kelly was instrumental in establishing Seton Hall Prep's ice hockey program back in 1969. Since then, the ice hockey team has won four non-public school championships, three state championships, and seven Gordon Cup Championships. In 1986, his Holiness Pope John Paul II named the then Fr. Kelly a Prelate of Honor, with the title of Reverend Monsignor. He served the NJSIAA as president during the 1991-92 school year, and in 1998, received its award of honor. Msgr. Kelly was inducted into the Seton Hall University Athletic Hall of Fame in 1986.

He completed his undergraduate studies at Seton Hall University in 1962, and received his master of arts degree in 1969, also from Seton Hall. He was raised in South Orange, and graduated from Our Lady of Sorrows School in 1953, and Seton Hall Prep in 1957. He first joined Seton Hall Prep as a teacher, coach, and guidance counselor from 1966-1975. Upon the conclusion of theological studies at the Immaculate Conception Seminary (Mahwah, NJ), Monsignor Kelly was ordained a priest at Newark's Sacred Heart Cathedral in May 1966. He has assisted at St. Aloysius Parish (Caldwell, NJ) since 1966, and currently serves as police chaplain in South Orange, the Essex County Police Department, the West Orange Rotary Club, the West Orange St. Patrick's parade committee, and the Knights of Columbus (South Orange, NJ). Msgr. Kelly served as chaplain captain of the New Jersey Army Reserve National Guard from 1968-1975. He currently serves as treasurer of the Iron Hills Athletic Conference, after previously serving as the president of the Board of Control. Msgr. Kelly is a member of the Executive Committee of the Principal's Council of the Archdiocese of Newark. Since 1995, he has served on the Seton Hall University Advisory Council, and since 2000, has served on the Board of Directors for the Metro YMCA of the Oranges.

DR. JOHN J. McMULLEN SERVICE TO NEW JERSEY HOCKEY AWARD

Season
Recipient
Season
Recipient

1983-84
Les Dodson
1994-95
Bob Auriemma

1984-85
Jim Measday
1995-96
John Warchol

1985-86
Glenn Resch
1996-97
Mike Nardello

1986-87
Butch Fortunato
1997-98
Vin Godleski

1987-88
Paul McInnis
1998-99
Joan & Tony Mariconda

1988-89
Max McNab
1999-00
Lou Lamoriello

1989-90
Ken Gesner
2000-01
Mike Reynolds

1990-91
Dick Trimble
2001-02
Nancy Hughes

1991-92
John J. McMullen
2002-03
Jim Hunt

1992-93
No Winner
2003-04
Donna Guariglia

1993-94
Harvey Cohen
2004-05
Rev. Msgr. Michael E. Kelly

#2 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:28 PM

1991-92
John J. McMullen

I saw this in my e-mail earlier and I was like, "Dr. McMullen won his own award?" :huh:
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#3 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

I wonder if the reverend wants us to change our name? :P

Hrm. Ice Man posted something useful and I agreed with 731 in the politics forum.

Live life to the fullest for the end is near!!!

Edited by Don, 02 June 2005 - 08:56 PM.

"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#4 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:34 PM

Mmmmmmmmm... '92 -'93 no award given ? Sheesh ! someone must have done something in NJ to further hockey, i know I attended many games during that season, give to me :P
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#5 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:56 AM

This is awarded at the Players lunch when they say Most valuable Player Unsung Hero and Players Player. You guys just dont care about this one :P

I'm glad the Devils sent out the press release.
A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users